Small Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Which small tarp do people recommend?

I want it for a shelter to sit under for day trips to woods so does not have to be too big. Preferably a UK compatible camo and lots of tie off points, light and compact for carrying.

I already have the British Army Basha which is excellent but too bulky and heavy just for days out,

So far have found the BCB Fox and the Helikon Supertarp small. Any others to consider that will be up to the job?

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
What's the budget?
Because if it's large enough then something made from Cuben is the go.
Or whatever DCF is called today.
If camo is what you really want you have a plethora of choice if you buy from the USA, try Dutchwear and be prepared to be amazed.
Personally tho I would have no problems at all with a UK basha because I tend to use either my Aussie hootchie or my old Dutch poncho

Reactions: duir

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Alpkit Rig 3.5, but not camo.

If you want the ultimate light camo, you may need to sew your own. Light camo silpoly isn’t cheap.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I can recommend the Helikon Tex Supertarp Small, have had mine for 3yrs and it's been great. Strangely I consider that a larger tarp though and great for solo camping.

Other smaller tarps that I use and can recommend are:
Alpkit Rig 3.5 (2.4 x 1.45m) - fairly new to me, but the build quality is very impressive, packs down really small and it has quickly become my favourite tarp.

Terra Nova Adventure 1 (2.45x1.5m) - I had this a number of years and it also had very good build quality. Not as many tie-out points as the Alpkit tarp though.

Helikon Tex Poncho (2.1x1.45m) - good versatility, it uses eyelets instead of webbing tie outs but has held up really well in the several years that I've owned it.

I use the DD 3x3 Superlight and haven't been that impressed with their products if I'm honest with you, the quality control (especially on the stitching) is not the best and the brands above are head and shoulders above them in terms of quality. Very similar price points too.

Reactions: StevieE

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
I bought a couple of Dutch army ponchos. The patterns should match.

Sizing: 160cm wide by 220 cm long. Size as measured for scale drawing of attachments and doubled checked. This might be mid-eyelet to mid-eyelet rather than the cut length before the rolled edge. 160 to 165 cm by 220 cm (or two layers of 110 cm).

600 grams, (weighted ).

Packed size as a pillow 25cm by 25cm by 10 cm => 6.25 litres (via tape measure). Achieved by stuffing the poncho in it’s internal pocket.

Packed volume fold and roll: 9 cm diameter by 26 cm long => 1.65 litres (via tape measure).

Attachment points:
Grid 5 cm by 5 cm. It’s a sketch not a scale drawing.

O 10 mm eyelets.

X Double snaps .

U Hood.

- - Hidden detail, this line sits on your shoulders. The piece which covers your back can also cover your backpack.

CQdi0GTHVoPO3PHCG6WNC3gfwa2zN3QxiYVNrEi5yc7mWhzHoFhlRDiKmEMi2Wjw-QU2xt-aS4ASKY4EjI6i0LM93uxZKQZMHGmx2lnebYI1jQ8MuaEivYG4xAdqsfrbQi1wrdaCQoPoWb9CGGpor9w

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If have no problem ordering from the US. Etowah Outfitters make small tarps in a couple of camo patterns.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
One wind silnylon footprint. They are on Amazon. The largest size is similar dimensions as a poncho 2.5m x 1.4m Extremely compact when packed.

FCB87E62-B11E-41E3-839F-91D56178B4B7.jpeg

It’s the small pouch bottom left. 270g makers quoted weight.

The line and pegs might be more. The tarp a premade ridge line, four guy lines, eight pegs and a fold-a-cup take up less room than a canteen and mug.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE