Small Kids at the Bushmoot- what are your entertainment essentials?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Its getting close to Bushmoot time :cool: and I'm starting to think about packing.

We're bringing our 2 anklebiters (2 and 4) and I'm just wondering what do you take to keep your kids entertained? What is essential gear for your family?

Any hints and tips are greatly appreciated
Cheers Ness :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
From general 1-night overnighters camping I would say bring their cuddly toys (limit to one per kid), lots of spare clothes, wellies, warm weather gear etc. Comfortable kids are happier kids. Lots of wet wipes!

Enough fingerfood that they like (sweets, fruit they like cookies).. and drinks!

Books, footballs, toys to play in the sand/ mud. If you're close to your car maybe CDs with children songs. Especially the 2 yo needs to be kept entertained.

Mine are 4, 3.5 almost 1. The middle one is usually content just coming along watching (if he's fed and watered). The eldest is like a duracell, never stopping.

It will be great for the kids!

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think they'll both be wearing T-shirts with their names and GPS Trackers attached :sigh:

The description of the site sounds like kid heaven. Just looking for others experiences.

They're both well used to a few nights camping/ glamping. Never been quite sofar with them though or camped for that many days. It'll be absolutely brilliant!

Ness :)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The description of the site sounds like kid heaven. Just looking for others experiences.

It is... lots of places to explore, trees to climb and and pirate ship to 'sail' :).

One word of advice though... the sea is a long way across the dunes so it might be a bit too much treking there across the dunes

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
So glad to hear that it seems that there will be quite a few toddlars there! My little girl who will be very nearly two is a very social little girl and would love to meet others to play..

So how far is the sea then? Hoping to spend a day there with little-un.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Anyone else wishing they were going now? My calendar is full around that week, not to mention the logistics of getting from Normandy France via Kent then across to south Wales and back again.

Going to have to make sure I plan for next years moot well in advance. I'm kicking myself now for chickening out again

Hey Ness why not google outside children games, or seek out games that scouts or cubs used to play? I'm betting a lot of those won't need bags of accessories to get the game into full swing. Y'know old school type games.
One thing I can highly reccommend is a treasure hunt. Take the kids on a walk with a lit of tiems they need to find along the way. A leaf with rounded edges, a spikey leaf, an acorn, a leather cowboy hat with a leather BCUK patch on it, a hair from John Fenna's beard (plucked of course) Things like that. You may need to carry some of the itmes with you to salt the ground ahead of them if certain things can't be found like acorns etc.

However it sounds to me though that the kids will be spending a lot of time getting to know other kids and not need that much amusing input from you.

All the best and ummmm should you make another batch of chilli beef jerky, then keep your international customer in mind, pretty please. Ta.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Anyone else wishing they were going now? My calendar is full around that week, not to mention the logistics of getting from Normandy France via Kent then across to south Wales and back again.

Going to have to make sure I plan for next years moot well in advance. I'm kicking myself now for chickening out again

Hey Ness why not google outside children games, or seek out games that scouts or cubs used to play? I'm betting a lot of those won't need bags of accessories to get the game into full swing. Y'know old school type games.
One thing I can highly reccommend is a treasure hunt. Take the kids on a walk with a lit of tiems they need to find along the way. A leaf with rounded edges, a spikey leaf, an acorn, a leather cowboy hat with a leather BCUK patch on it, a hair from John Fenna's beard (plucked of course) Things like that. You may need to carry some of the itmes with you to salt the ground ahead of them if certain things can't be found like acorns etc.

However it sounds to me though that the kids will be spending a lot of time getting to know other kids and not need that much amusing input from you.

All the best and ummmm should you make another batch of chilli beef jerky, then keep your international customer in mind, pretty please. Ta.
Trip, trap, trip, trap....this Troll loves children......chilli jerked, casseroled, BBQed or plain boilled...and his beard is inviolate and will stay that way!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It's about 1.25 miles from the moot site to the beach... but bear in mind this is up and down over sand dunes which isn't the best surface for push chairs to travel over :rolleyes:

Not taking a push chair! Won't fit in car, Thinking of taking a simple plastic sled though, reckon that may work on the dunes?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
To be honest, They'll probably find a stick and some sand and sort themselves out...
Another thought,
Name badges (with their parents name on them too) for small children?
might be handy when they wander off and get lost.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My little Rhiannon Is trained to spear Trolls..

Oooooh skewered troll's a delicacy I hear. Kebabed John Fenna.. yeah I can see that picture already LOL!

Nice name Rhiannon, that's also my youngest daughter's name. Goddess of the horse.

Party games sounds like they're already forming - Drew's hat and John's beard, what's next I wonder?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oooooh skewered troll's a delicacy I hear. Kebabed John Fenna.. yeah I can see that picture already LOL!

Nice name Rhiannon, that's also my youngest daughter's name. Goddess of the horse.

Party games sounds like they're already forming - Drew's hat and John's beard, what's next I wonder?
It only counts if The Troll is wearing Drews hat when you pluck the sacred hair from the Trolls beard.... :D

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Our two are coming too (6 and 8) so it sounds like there will be plenty of playmates, and my 8 year old loves mothering smaller children. I'll be taking some extra tarps / hammocks etc to make dens with, and balls etc to kick about. I think there will be plenty for them to do!

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE