small hands/small knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got small hands, not tiny, just little, square palmed, strong hands. I have real problems with some knives because they are just too big to grip properly to get much leverage on them. My little Opinel suits me fine but it does lack a certain rigidity and it's technically illegal :( The sheath knives I've used for many years aren't really ideal for bushcraft (I'd *never* think of batoning with them for instance) and I bought a Frosts Mora so that I became familiar with the knives we intend to use with the children this Summer. However, I find the handle uncomfortably *thick* and the blade is a bit long for my liking too. I followed a link in a post by Sandbender and came across a *Runt* knife.

http://www.bladecutlery.net/bladecutlery1_010.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these knives?
Does anyone have one that they'd be willing to let me try? I'll happily pay for insured postage both ways and I'll even throw in a barter of useful material, goretex? waxed cotton? silk fibres? ripstop windcheater, or linen for your trouble.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andy said:
Have you tried the classic mora knife? The sheath is rubbish IMO and I found the handle too small for my hands. It held up to a batton without any problems and you can have mine if you want.

Magikelly has a runt, there is a thread around somewhere
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6752&highlight=runt

What's a classic mora knife as oposed to a Frosts? I know that Mora is just an area/metal quality like Sheffield, but don't know the difference otherwise. A very kind offer...we might talk ££ or barter :D by pm?

Thanks for the link and the advice, I may just pester John and see if I can have a wee shot of his knife, he lives relatively nearby.

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Toddy said:
What's a classic mora knife as oposed to a Frosts? I know that Mora is just an area/metal quality like Sheffield, but don't know the difference otherwise. A very kind offer...we might talk ££ or barter :D by pm?

Thanks for the link and the advice, I may just pester John and see if I can have a wee shot of his knife, he lives relatively nearby.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy PM on its way to sort out Post, Collect or Deliver.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You might consider a Grohmann Camper or #1. The handle is a little bit on the slender side and with wood scales, you could sand on it a bit if needed. Also, if you can find a Camillus Talon in 154CM, that would be a nice one as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hoodoo said:
You might consider a Grohmann Camper or #1. The handle is a little bit on the slender side and with wood scales, you could sand on it a bit if needed. Also, if you can find a Camillus Talon in 154CM, that would be a nice one as well.

Thanks for the advice Hoodoo, I think I need a crash course in blade recognition :confused: though. Going to google for some photos.
I've got to get to a moot I think.

Cheers,
Toddy

P.S. Don't think I'd like the Grohmann, looks a bit awkward, though I do see what you mean about the slender handle, but I did like the look of the mini Camillus Talon.

Cheers,
Toddy

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Toddy,

I would not dismiss the Grohmann...the strange handle really works and works well. The Bird and Trout model has a very slim handle and is much easier to use that it at first may appear.

Allan Blades packpal:

abladespackpal9aa.jpg

is a bit bigger in my recollection that the Runt but again a very good choice.

My Ingram #5 has a very slim handle, (the longer one beside Ingram Pocket)

NGWhr5.jpg

A bit bigger but really solid bushcrafting knives can be had from Nick Wheeler.

wheelerwosf4qn.jpg

These are his AKS scandi and AKS flat with his forged version of the OSF in the center. Nick can make a handle just about any way you like....not exactly a Mora type price though.

Sanding a mora handle down would be easy too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Schwert said:
These are his AKS scandi and AKS flat with his forged version of the OSF in the center. Nick can make a handle just about any way you like....not exactly a Mora type price though.

Sanding a mora handle down would be easy too.

Thanks for all of the advice, I've got four knives lined up to try so I'm going to have a good investigate before I buy. Price isn't the issue, but I do need a good, practical, using tool that actually works for me and doesn't leave me aching.

Cheers,
Toddy

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i think you will love the packpal, but just a quick plug for Bark River Knives

I have the northstar which is big enough for me but some (men mostly) have said it is on the small side. I wouldnt be comfortable with anything much bigger

but they do a range of models getting smaller and smaller all the way down to the Mikro Canadian which is a beauty that feels like a fixed blade scalpel in the hand, and has the sharpness and solidity to back it up

no you wouldnt be doing much batoning with a mikro but maybe a fox river if you think the northstar a bit big

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/products.html

Joe at EOG (used to be ODS :confused: ) has a lot of their models in stock
http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk/index.php

Maybe I am adding to the confusion here but I really like the 2 that I have and nobody else suggested BRKT yet

Tant

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The Lapp Pukko is definatley a good choice, nice knife to work with but for me the handle is too small and I havent got overly large hands. Also I've found all the Gene Ingrams I've tried so far too small to be comfortable with but again they may be ideal if you can get one to try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE