Sleeping Bags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I'm just starting to compile my basic kit and am looking at the posibility of a Snugpak Softie 12 osprey. Does anyone know if these are good value for money? or is there a better bag for my buck? as always your help and info is greatly appreciated.:D

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
they are bulky but warm,my brother in law has 1 and says its warm but it is a large pack size.
I have the 10 ive got the green military version and thats quite a bit smaller and seems to be ok in this country,id take the snugpak merlin as well if i was going somewhere really cold.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
'Always spend good money on your boots and your bed.

If you aren't in one, you're in the other'

Buy the best you can afford and get in them if you can, some you will find unpleasant.

Injati

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2004
Schleswig-Holstein
Don't have any experience with that one, but I can really recommend the alpkit ones. Great value for money, and does what it says on the tin.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have had a Snugpack bag for years and have always found it performs well. Some find them a little snug tho, so try before you buy.

(Luckily for me, my brother used to work in the mill where they made the fabric for Snugpack, so I always got 1st dibs at new lines and factory sales!)

I only use it when the weather is cold tho, as it is comfort rated at about -10, & so anything above freezing is too warm!

Simon

I'm not a fan of Snugpak sleeping bags. I find that they are far too "snug" in fact, it's like sleeping in a straight jacket. Also, buy one that's comfort rated a good deal lower than you think you will need as their temperature ratings did not come even close in the one I had. I didn't keep it. I had the kestral, though not for long. Perhaps the expander panels may help now, but mine didn't have it.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have a Nanok endurance -10 and have found it to be roomy and warm . Havent tried it down much lower than about -3 though . So dont know how reliable that rating really is . Good bag for the money .:)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
how small does the nanok pack down? one of my reasons for looking at the snugpak was that appeared to pack down quite small. cheers for all you help guys.:D

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I use both the Nanok -10 and the Snugpak elite 3, both are good bags IMO. The Nanok is perhaps 40-50% bigger when packed and heavier by almost a kg, but there's more room to move in it and it's also comfort rated 5 deg colder (-10 rather than -5 the elite 3). Very good quality. The Snugpaks have a reputation for being optimistic with their ratings yet in the case of the mine it seems about right. I've not had it so long but I was warm a couple degrees below freezing with only a tarp as a windbreak, so all looks well there. It is noticably tighter than the Nanok though so if you're a broader guy I'd try to get my hands on one to give it a try before buying.
I have mates that use the 12, it's def a UK winter bag due to the size / weight but it's seen them through some pretty crap wx in Scotland, so thumbs up there I guess.
If you're definitely going synthetic I don't think you can go far wrong with a Snugpak or Nanok

Septic

Jan 2, 2008
Gnosall, staffs
I have a snugpak softie 10 (harrier) its a fantastic bag ive done a bike tour around
scotland and wales and the bag was purfect i also bought a fleese bag liner
that i can use if it gets really cold but as the bag has a rating low of -12 i havent needed it yet. plus the added bonus of it English.

It depends on what you want to use it for and what temps.

stevie :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have to advise to stay away from haglöfs. They've got serious quality problems and the zippers has a nasty habit of getting stuck. At least this is my experience and it agrees quite well with what others have said on a swedish outdoor forum. This was a couple of years ago, but still worth to have in mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE