Sleeping Bag suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hello all,
I'm looking for a nice new sleeping bag to go with the bivi I got at christmas. I would like it to be able to cope with the English Winter and keep me nice and warm when it's in the minus's. I don't really want to be paying more than 40-50 quid for it. So do you have any suggestions?

Cheers.

P.S. It's great to be back on here amongst my old bushcrafting friends

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
There are some nice bags in the Vango series - I believe that the Nitestar 400 is about £40 and really warm (if a tad big).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as the saying goes you get what you pay for!

again large but you could look at the old US down bag too, simular design.

you can always use a blanket or wear clothing to ensure a warm night, (and don't forget your foam mat) :biggthump

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I guess I should add a few words on the nitestar.

I'm the only person I know thats had problems with one (350) I had the end of the go a bit funny so It's now got a bit of stitching and can't pair up with another one. The toggles from the draw cords on the hood and baffle have both broken and are now going again on the other side after I taped them up.
I've founf the 350 to be warm enough and I'd suggest looking at the 300,350 and 400. There isn't much in them really. We got them on offer (in my family their are 5 of them) All the stiching has held up well and the stuff sack seems good. They seem more water repellent then most packs I've seen which is rather handy. My only gripe is the toggles on the baffles which seem a bit weak. It's not a huge problem to replace them if they brake and a bit of duct tape has sorted mine out anyway

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Suggest that you steer clear of down bags and go for synthetic. They may be heavier and more bulky but they are much cheaper, easier to clean, and retain approx 50% of their insulating proprties when wet.

Regardless of whether you have a bivvy bag or not, IMHO synthetic is the way to go in the UK. You will get condensation inside a bivvy bag regardless of how breathable it is and this wets down bags. They are a bu**er to dry too.

Don't get me wrong, down bags are ace if you really must have the lightest and warmest (and most expensive) bag and they come into their own in very cold conditions.

There are some really good bargains around at the moment at places like Cotswold Outdoor, Field'n'Trek, etc. I reckon you should be able to get a decent synthetic for the money you have. Remember that the bivvy bag will also add a few degrees of extra temperature range.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Another negative mark against down is that if you get a small rip in it, you've got down all over the place! A small rip in a synthetic bag is easy to fix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE