sleep setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i was wondering what sort of sleeping setups you use like what shelter what sleeping bag, bivy bag, mat and all stuff like that. Any tips on what to avoid would be helpful too. :chill: - today on my paper round!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Anything you do for @ 1/3 of your life should be done right. I consider a sleeping system the #1 survival item even over a knife and firemaking. My gear isn't common in G.B. I use a Wiggy combination unit of a 35 F bag and 0 F bag. Layered together I have a -20 system or zipped together an emergency unit for two. The best of material is useless compressed against the ground, which requires a pad of some sort. I like a full 72" closed cell foam pad. Not all are created equal, and material that will remain flexible in cold temps is a must. Air mattresses are almost luxurious, but the best are vulnurable to puncture and the effort to manually inflate one dangerous to your lungs in again cold weather. Under the pad you should have some manner of ground cloth. Insulation value is 0, but it's like the rain or wind outer shell in your layered clothing system. I personally detest bivys. They feel like coffins and fumbling about with one zipper in an emergency is enough allready. I like tarps. Where you sleep is just as important. Good campgear in a bad location is a bad camp. Pay attention to what Mother Nature will be doing during the night; cold air sinking into the hollow you selected to get out of the wind, rainwater collecting in that hollow, ants or a grouchy Badger taking exception to company. Also, always position your zipper leeward to any shelter opening. I don't care how elaborate the baffle is, this is the Achilles heel of bags. Some people even roll over to bury the zipper. This and my teddyBear cover 90% of the conditions I encounter.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
If your on a budget mate try a 95 pattern MOD sleeping bag(a tad bulky but a good bag), a british army breathable bivvi bag and kip mat and a british army basha/tarp, its all good no frills hard wearing kit and you can probably get the lot from an army surplus shop for about 100 quid or so,if its good enough for the british army then you cant go wrong :wink: how much did you want to spend?

W

Walkabout

Make sure the mat actually works! Ive used 58 sleeping bag, bivvi and a poncho for ever and i still love it!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I go for..
groundsheet - an old canvas sheet
Full length Thermarest
British Army OG Bivi bag
Ajungilak bag for the warmer months or British Army bag for winter
Ajungilak camping pillow (naughty - but nice :wink: )
Tarp (Integral Designs Siltarp2 or Hilleberg XP10, depending on how many people are with me)

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i'm not actually buying anything new, i would just like to know what other people use. I use a mountain equipment military tds 2 on a trail 3 regular therm a rest all inside a brittish army bivy bag. that keeps me as snug as a bug! :rolmao:

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Jack,

I usually use a Thermarest with army bivi bag and Nanok SF sleeping bag under an army basha (soon to be replaced by an Aussie Hoochi). It seems to give me plenty of options and is nice and comfy.

Brian

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I stay under a brit army basha....lay on a brit army foam kitmat and keep warm in a brit army 95 dossbag.....if it's very cold or very wet I supliment with a brit army og bivvi bag....

Can anyone see a pattern forming here.....lol :rolmao:

Oh and at Ashdown seeing as I had SOOOOOO much kit I used a US lightweight woodland poncho to make a sort of awning (can't spell that) to sit and/or work under (see photo in my gallery).

Never had any problems, never been cold and never got wet....

Happy camping :pack:

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
In the UK, i use a 95 Brit Army Basha. Just come back from the mountains in Spain were i used the same basha, but i lay on a hammock made out of an old parachute.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
bambodoggy said:
I stay under a brit army basha....lay on a brit army foam kitmat and keep warm in a brit army 95 dossbag.....if it's very cold or very wet I supliment with a brit army og bivvi bag....

Can anyone see a pattern forming here.....lol :rolmao:

Oh and at Ashdown seeing as I had SOOOOOO much kit I used a US lightweight woodland poncho to make a sort of awning (can't spell that) to sit and/or work under (see photo in my gallery).

Never had any problems, never been cold and never got wet....

Happy camping :pack:
can someone tell me waht lol means, everyone seams to use it and i don't understand!

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
jack29g said:
can someone tell me waht lol means, everyone seams to use it and i don't understand!

Hi, it stands for 'Laughs Out Loud', a sign that you found the contents of a previous post funny

Now try and work out what ROTFLMAO means :eek:):

simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE