Sink from a log?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
First off, the question:

The upper campground lies midway between my cabin and our water tanks and in three weeks time, when the well goes in, I will have water flowing through the site. I am planning on adding a junction to my pipe to add running water to the kitchen area. My goal is to take one of my large logs and somehow hollow it out to make a sink.

My first notion is to burn it out and seal the insides with paraphan. However, most of my logs are chinking as they dry, and I am concerned this will wind up like my oak pipe experiment; leaky and cracking quickly. Any advice?

The big wood (35cm+) I have to work with is madrone, pine, and tan/white oak. I might also be able to pull some old redwood heartwood from abandoned felled trees, but this option is off since the wood is tempermental, if beautiful. (Any of you guys ever split big rotting trees to get at the aged heartwood inside? I've been having GRAND results with old redwoods out here, not sure if other trees do this.

Campsite update:

Okay, so the home campsite (outdoor guest house) is moving along quite well. Have two well leveled tent sites, one under two redwoods, capable of accomodating a hammock, the other under a well thinned madrone. The main clearing can also easily accomodate 3-4 tents.

The best part in my opinion is the solar shower by the hammock site. Nothing quite so nice as an outdoor shower with almond castille soap while looking out at 35 miles of untarnished horizon, with pacific ocean a little strand of blue and cloud at the edge.

It's been slightly used by five people at once so far and no complaints. ;)First mean turned into a little lesson, teaching a volunteer and two friends how to make bannock, onion eggs, and buried potatoes.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I would go for the heart of the redwood just because of the resistance to rot and beauty of the wood.

A rounded hollowing adz would be the ticket but an ax may have to do. Burning will work too. Maybe a combination of methods will be employed.

Drilling out the majority of waste wood speeds up the project considerably.

I have seen some really nice wooden sinks in a log home book years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE