Single bevel knife from a scissor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello filed down and sharpened a scissor and made it into a single bevel knife. The bevel is about 25 degrees. I split a piece of birch and carved it out to fit the scissors tang. I long wanted a single bevel knife to try. I was inspired by the great guy in this movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCht3kO334

2lstxs0.jpg

I have one left!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Clever boy in the video, I'll guess that he's made one before.
Thanks for the link.

Lookin' good. You'll find it works really well like a one-handed draw knife.
Such a design has been sold for centuries as the "Mocotaugan-style" blade, most of which appear to have been made in Sheffield.

Practically all European-style wood carving tools have single bevels. Knives are commonly 12 degrees, gouges are all 20 degrees.
There's little need to compensate with a higher bevel angle to work in Mesquite or Teak, Janka numbers in the thousands!
Pacific Northwest coastal style crooked knives usually have 2 edges, both at about 12 degrees.

Last edited:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
That's actually a great way to use old scissors. The feathering on that stick was amazing and I think that it would be a great way to get a fire going.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen some feather sticks prepared in YouTubes. Every one of them, the maker is shaving away/down on the stick.

So, I tried to make some with Pacific Northwest style crooked knives.
This is short pull strokes with wrist movement only.
Seemed to be very easily and quickly done with lots of fuzzy, fine, curled shavings.
Is this considered uncommon?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE