simply incredible....

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not too bad at all.. although I wonder how much 'training' the bird had, ie how long did it take to learn all that?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lol, I seen them using bits of twig in my garden to get at the seeds for small birds, the holes for the sees are too small for their beaks and they would only get one at a time but they push the twig into the hole and pull it out a few times and then they get a lot of seeds. Clever buggers are costing me a fortune in seeds.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Lol, I seen them using bits of twig in my garden to get at the seeds for small birds, the holes for the sees are too small for their beaks and they would only get one at a time but they push the twig into the hole and pull it out a few times and then they get a lot of seeds. Clever buggers are costing me a fortune in seeds.

:lmao: :lmao: it's the bird mob...............trying to kill you buisness so you leave town :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Corvids are notoriously intelligent - there have been numerous instances of tool use by these birds recorded in the wild. There is also evidence that they learn new techniques from one another, which is basically a form of culture. Birds in different areas will use different local techniques to achieve the same task...

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This was in the daily Mail yesterday.

Appararently the birds had no training, with 4 out of 5 birds solving the problem on the first go!

This is supposed to put them on a par with dolphins in the intelligence stakes.

Simon

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
This was in the daily Mail yesterday.

Appararently the birds had no training, with 4 out of 5 birds solving the problem on the first go!

This is supposed to put them on a par with dolphins in the intelligence stakes.

Simon

Thats interesting.. hmm daily mail eh? Not a paper I read, I'm afraid. I wonder how long the birds took to train the people to bring them food.. :lmao:

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Did anyone else grin at the fact that the lead authors name was 'Christopher Bird' - nominative determinism again (if anyone reads New Scientist).

Maybe just me then... I'll get me coat!

Cheers,
Steve

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
birds are very smart
Watch Snowball getting his moves on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw
This bird has proved to science that parrots (and perhaps other birds) can understand the beat of music, possibly due to their capacity to learn verbally like we do. It is a feat even the great apes do not share with us. he dances quicker and slower when the tempo is moved up and down

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Not too bad at all.. although I wonder how much 'training' the bird had, ie how long did it take to learn all that?

As said by SimonM these birds were reared in captivity and were known to have never used tools before.

Corvids are notoriously intelligent - there have been numerous instances of tool use by these birds recorded in the wild. There is also evidence that they learn new techniques from one another, which is basically a form of culture. Birds in different areas will use different local techniques to achieve the same task...

The interesting thing about this is that Rooks in the wild have never been seen to use tools and yet when put in a situation that required a tool they new how to make and use them without any examples to go on. This suggests that the ability to make and use tools isn't derived from the necessity to use them but rather that it is a byproduct from some other attribute or just a certain level of intelligence. If repeated this will tern our previous ideas on there heads.

P.S. That birds got the groove man!
birds are very smart
Watch Snowball getting his moves on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE