Show us your sheds!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I've got a little shed up the top of the garden that I use as a carving shed but I'm looking for some inspiration! I'm thinking of getting a little wood stove to put up there so I can carve in the winter without an arctic sleeping bag!
Any pics would be great and maybe other people could take some ideas as well
Atb George
8d05d8d0402a2186da40684ca64bb5de.jpg
this is it at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Just a 10' x 10' metal shed. Wish it was bigger and wish I had more spare time to play in it!!

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The shed is full of rabbit hutch, bikes, chain saws, body boards, lawn mower, sterling board and other odds and ends....So, no working in there, however, I do have a workshop that's part of the garage, it needs a clean out but I'll get some pics together...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, most don't get used to their full potential though. Radius master lives in that position most of the time, used primarily for profiling. Milling machine is basically my drill, and used occasionally for milling out bolsters.

But, they are there for when i need the other stuff they can do. :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
My shed is a bit small.

SAK for scale, this is a 1:19 scale model of a six by four shed, as I don't have a real shed, but can dream!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yeah, most don't get used to their full potential though. Radius master lives in that position most of the time, used primarily for profiling. Milling machine is basically my drill, and used occasionally for milling out bolsters.

But, they are there for when i need the other stuff they can do. :)

I take it you're doing the bevel grinding on what's hidden behind the radius master?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes mate. (well, bevel grinding, finishing the flats, shaping handles, flattening scales etc).. £250 axminster linisher, bought it new almost 7 years ago. Every knife i've ever made has been done on that. About 800 of em i reckon. Only had to replace the capacitor on it, and i changed the bearings too once. Certainly made its money back, thats for sure... Not cheap on belts though. £110 for 10 ceramic... per grit. and i use 3 different grits.

This thing..... Though i don't run it in that position, i have it laid flat.

Last edited:

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yes mate... £250 axminster linisher, bought it new almost 7 years ago. Every knife i've ever made has been done on that. About 800 of em i reckon. Only had to replace the capacitor on it, and i changed the bearings too once. Certainly made its money back, thats for sure... Not cheap on belts though. £110 for 10 ceramic... per grit. and i use 3 different grits.

This thing..... Though i don't run it in that position, i have it laid flat.

So that's where the magic happens mate! Nice!! Can't really tell from the pic but is that a raised platen you've fitted? I bet the disk gets a bit of use as well eh?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That machine gets hammered mate. Used for everything, and yeah, disc is used a lot too. The platen in the pic was just some 2mm mild steel plate glued onto the hard foamy backing it had already, but over time that wore down some so i replaced it, middle of last year with some hardened 4mm 01. I made it too wide though, same width as the bed, which is about 1" wider than the belt and its causing problems with tracking as it won't track over as far as id like it to. So need to take it off, cut 15mm off the width, and get my bro to take half a mm of the thickness ( belts a bit too tight now) on his surface grinder at work. Should be perfect then.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I would like a grinder like yours Mark! Looks the business mate!! I've got a couple of small grinders in my shed. I use them for everything except the bevels. I only make a few knives each year as you probably know and I like filing the bevels on my jig. I've got confidence in this method after years of use. I just make them for my own pleasure really so trying to keep the costs down. Not been able to do much this year as I broke my shoulder at New Year in a bike crash. Total bummer!!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yeah, I know what your saying about the platen mate. Very specific for knife-making! Every day's a school day! I like the table on the grinder. Must have taken a bit of mastering in use? I can see me messing up a few knives before I get the feel of it! What power motor is in the grinder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE