Show us your cutting tool trios!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good stuff Ross! I love Marks Mora clones, they're stunning and great quality too :).

Keep them coming! :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
These (in addition to the Roselli axe) are my currently most used 3 cutting tools for carving

Bent blade is made by crescent knifeworks, straight blade and adze blade are self made

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
attachment.php

attachment.php

I love my trio of blades... they're going to be in Black Micarta in a few weeks.

award95

Jun 23, 2013
Kettlebridge
Always interesting!
I'm in the process of changing my knife - I used a Paul Baker for years but I have a new one in the pipeline.
Still use my Laplander and my SFA. I also have a large SAK with saw - definitely underrated - that I use regularly.
I also usually have a wee folder for my apple!
So - trio!:
Paul Baker knife; Laplander saw; SFA.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
P1030993.jpgP1030990.jpgP1030991.jpg

My trio,
I started out with the Large M-Tech knife and the Mora, quickly followed by the Bacho. That M-tech knife is one hell of a chopper, but as the spine is kind of saw backed you can't baton.
My next purchase was the Martinez Albainox, which I bought on a whim as it just felt so good in my hand. This knife I use the most as it's tough enough to use for most duties.

The Scandi knife was a present, and came in kit form, so I had to handle it as it's a stick tang, which involved shaping "mora" and making the sheath.
I love this knife, but only use it for cutting, carving, whittling, or food prep. " I would never hit this with a piece of wood!"

The Hulfators axe was my most recent purchase, and I love this too, I need to polish the edge a little more but so far no complaints, and it was an absolute bargain!

I like to mix and match my tools as I see fit, although the Mora is fast becoming my favoured knife to take fishing.

In an ideal world I'd have a stunning custom made knife, or perhaps 2, but would I find it any more useful that what I already have?
Probably not!

Last edited:

Haggis

Nomad
I have several "trios", varying according the sort of outing, but these are my two favorite mix and match "daypack" trios. The old Solingen made "Marbles Woodcraft" clone I bought 40 years ago for $5.50, the Gerber Gator was a gift from Daughter #3, 10 or so years ago. I made the "temporary" duct tape repair on the old stag handled knife sheath perhaps 25 years ago. The two folding trappers I bought in the early "80's. The fixed blades knives have skinned and butchered more deer and bear than I can remember, and the folding knives have seen a similar amount of use in skinning foxes, coyotes, 'coon, mink, rabbits, and by now you get the picture. The folding saw is new, I usually don't carry a saw, unless canoe camping, or car camping. Fixed buck saws are too bulky, and folding buck saws are generally too bulky, too small, too difficult to assemble, or too junky to bother with; I'd rather use an axe or hatchet. This new saw is light, easy to carry, easy to assemble, and only two parts; time will tell if it too eventually gets left at home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/117288165@N06/12481084384/in/photostream/lightbox/

Last edited:

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'll chip in with my set for this weekend:

12672662745_af056d1df8.jpg

I picked up the Khukri when I worked with the Gurkhas a little while back (gotta love any regiment that bring momentos with them to give away) and have been using it for splitting kindling in my shed but haven't actually taken it out for any bushy activities (although I have used khukris for quite a while). The knife is an Old Dominion Forge replica of an eighteenth century trade knife, a really good piece of kit for butchering and skinning deer and other game which lives in the grey sheath fitted to the back of my fire lighting pouch behind (another eighteenth century replica). The Joker I picked up last year based on high praise from MoT (I think). All three took a razor edge with only a little work on my waterstone on Tuesday and a quick tickle with a strop.

I am heading off on a bushcraft/deer butchering weekend with some friends and will be testing that little trio. I am also being slightly disingenuous because I've got a Laplander in my kit as well as a Helle Harding, overkill I know but they sit in my grab bag which is coming along and I'd rather not take them out for the sake of 2 days.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
The No. 74. They are pretty good and I like the natural wood, I suspect it will break eventually so I might replace them one day or possibly treat them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE