Shotguns - Pictures of the effects of "choke"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Great post BR, I am just about to start loading 50grms> 3.5" catridges of hevi shot as I cant buy them in the UK, I'm going to pattern them with my new browing maxus, hopefully in the summer. The cost of patterning alone will be expensive as these carts will cost me about £3 to load. I'm going to try the briley and grand passage chokes in addition to the chokes supplied with the gun, roll on wildfowling season 2011/2012!!!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
JTB,

I picked up some 50gr 3" magnums the other day (No. 4 shot) for cheap - happy to send details

I hear great things about Brileys - never tried one though. What size are you going for?

Red

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
i would have thought lead eraaij you use steel or bismouth on wildfowl

Hmm, we don't use lead here in The NL - prohibited.

I hunt and practice with steel and stick pretty much to 32/4 in the fied and mainly 24/7 on clay. Some fellows I hunt with in Germany prefer lead for the hunt.

Cheers for the additional pictures, Red

-Emile

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very good post, Red. I think it's useful for every outdoorsman to have a working knowledge of guns, whether they shoot or not.

Nice Lee-Enfield, Gordon. I'm old enough to have shot one when I was a cadet thirty years ago. I've heard they are still issued to the Canadian Rangers! And your brother veteran looks a capable rangy sort of guy even now - I'm glad he was on our side when in uniform.

The law on non-toxic shot is a bit different in Scotland as compared to England. I've found bismuth to work well - expensive, but I use so few that when I tell my wife I'm going wildfowling she says: 'You mean birdwatching...'

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just an interesting note for my fellow fans of the Lee Enfield - for a few years now, AIA have been making new ones (in more modern calibres and using newer magazines). The No. 4 equivalent is in .308 and the No. 5 in 7.62x39. Interesting looking rifles but I haven't shot one yet. I am fighting the urge for a .303 Jungle Carbine right now.

Still, I always have my old faithful to fall back on (kitted out here with Parker Hale apertures)

Lee Enfield by British Red, on Flickr

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never heard of that one!

Shot one re-worked in .223, another in .45ACP and even a DeLisle (fully moderated) one

Was the shotgun magazine fed Ed?

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Nice one red. Hopefully it will dispell some myths and further peoples (mis)understanding.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought the shot patterning would be more 'accurate' at a greater distance - but that's just me.

As we can see, the chokes affect the 'spread' of shot. But, we are only seeing one dimension here. Depending on the choke, the 'string' of shot varies greatly.

ammo_pattern_spread.gif

where_spread1.gif

I just had slug added to my licence :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are right on the patterning over ranges. I only had a few photos to hand - but as there is some interest, I'll take some pictures over a variety of distances next time I get some range time on a quiet day!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I was planning to pattern the gun first at range to see what i was dealing with, at the moment i have never patterned a gun before, then which ever chokes is getting close to what i want then i'll buy the extended briley/grand passage chokes to see if they will pattern abit better.

I think improved cylinder and improved modified or light modified will be the ones, IC for shooting over decoys, IM or LM for flighting geese!!

I did have wad wizard chokes in my supernova and they worked well but they are expensive $95 a pop, the brileys are not to crazy money at least!!

JTB,

I picked up some 50gr 3" magnums the other day (No. 4 shot) for cheap - happy to send details

I hear great things about Brileys - never tried one though. What size are you going for?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am tempted by a modified Briley for the Benelli - but I need to do more work with flipchart paper first!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Following earlier posts, some wanted to see the spread of shot with range. All the patterns here were produced using Eley 6 1/2 shot using modified (half) choke.

5 metres

6 1/2 shot Modified Choke 5m by British Red, on Flickr

10 metres

6 1/2 shot Modified Choke 10m by British Red, on Flickr

20 metres

6 1/2 shot Modified Choke 20m by British Red, on Flickr

30 metres (pulled the shot a bit left)

6 1/2 shot Modified Choke 30m by British Red, on Flickr

40 metres

6 1/2 shot Modified Choke 40m by British Red, on Flickr

Hope that give some useful info

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE