Shotgun/FAC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a FAC or Shotgun licence?

• I've got a Shotgun licence

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I've got a Firearms certificate

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • I've got both :-)

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • I'm thinking of applying for one or both...

Votes: 67 39.4%

• Total voters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was reminded of the old Savage Camper's Companion. IIRC it came in various combinations of .22, 30-30 or 30-06 over 410, 20 or 12 gauge.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
looks great - it'll be for vermin when the self sufficient plan finally bares fruit

still stuck working and living in and around Londson so it wont be for a while...

wondering if i can get it under a target ticket to start with (going to need to get good) and switch the reason for ownership later?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
looks great - it'll be for vermin when the self sufficient plan finally bares fruit

still stuck working and living in and around Londson so it wont be for a while...

wondering if i can get it under a target ticket to start with (going to need to get good) and switch the reason for ownership later?

Yes you can - good idea

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Good write up by longstrider.

I have .308 custom made a .22 CZ, O/U hunting 12 bore and use of my 16 year old son's
12 bore semi-auto with multichoke

P1020913-1.jpg

P1020910.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a question concerning the FAC. First let me set up a hypothetical situation. Suppose someone doesn't have an absolutely permanent address. I'm not talking about the homeless or a true nomad either. What I mean is someone (a legal UK citizen) whose residence is a boat or vessel (one that's properly registered in the UK) Now suppose that said boat/vessel is normally berthed (whether permanently or semi-permanently) at a pier or dock within the UK and their normal address is such and such slip at said pier. Now further suppose that they are able to procure and install the required gun safe aboard said vessel. My question is, would they qualify for a FAC or would their lifestyle preclude it? Assuming of course they meet all other requirements.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The honest answer is - I don't know.

That said, I suspect it would be fine. The normal advice is to secure the guns if travelling for more than a day or two. Many people have cabinets in their cars and holiday homes so I can't see how a boat would vary. People do live on boats here (mainly canal boats), so I suspect it must have come up

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Red. The canal boats were mainly what I was thinking of (to a lesser degree smaller inshore seagoing vessels) We have a number of retirees over here with a similar lifestyle (only more often in large camping trailers or houseboats) They sometimes have difficulty establishing residency for voting or tax purposes and I remembered the canal boats over there.

Last edited:

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
I have both. 3 shotguns (1 FAC) and 2 rifles (.22RF and a .17HMR).

I guess it's what you want to do that dictates what you go for. I do all sorts of shooting, game, rough, target, practical and clays.

The shotgun license is an easy one to get. Your local firearms department almost have to find a reason for you not to have one. Simple form to fill in, send your money with some pictures countersigned and away you go. You'll have a face-to-face meeting with your FEO, then generally get the go ahead. Get a cabinet fitted before hand as it saves time.

As mentioned above, if you go down the FAC route - it is a bit trickier to get and there are a few more hoops to jump through. You will also need a separate ammo cabinet for FAC.

If you have some land in mind to shoot over, you might want to see if it's been cleared for FAC and to what calibre before you start the process. Initially, your licence will be 'closed'. This means you can only shoot on land that has been cleared by the chief of police in that area and up to a certain calibre. Many things will dictate if the land is deemed safe to shoot. Things like backstops, footpaths, general lay of the land, livestock, condition of land (i'e is it stoney) etc..

Ben

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2011
I have a question concerning the FAC. First let me set up a hypothetical situation. Suppose someone doesn't have an absolutely permanent address. I'm not talking about the homeless or a true nomad either. What I mean is someone (a legal UK citizen) whose residence is a boat or vessel (one that's properly registered in the UK) Now suppose that said boat/vessel is normally berthed (whether permanently or semi-permanently) at a pier or dock within the UK and their normal address is such and such slip at said pier. Now further suppose that they are able to procure and install the required gun safe aboard said vessel. My question is, would they qualify for a FAC or would their lifestyle preclude it? Assuming of course they meet all other requirements.

The answer you are looking for will depend on the location being inspected by the local FAI or Room 20 (Etc.) Depending on what you require and why....
Different locations and different situations will get different answers... And Different Security Requirements and Security Reviews......

A house boat on the Thames in Surrey and a Canal Boat in the centre of Manchester for example.......

Expect any mobile NFA to have more stringent requirements than any "Built residence".

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The answer you are looking for will depend on the location being inspected by the local FAI or Room 20 (Etc.) Depending on what you require and why....
Different locations and different situations will get different answers... And Different Security Requirements and Security Reviews......

A house boat on the Thames in Surrey and a Canal Boat in the centre of Manchester for example.......

Expect any mobile NFA to have more stringent requirements than any "Built residence".

In short, can they meet the secure storage requirement? Fair enough; but my original post stipulated that apart from the residence itself they meet all other requirements. Or am I misunderstanding your posts a bit? I'm not trying to be trying, I really am a bit vague on the difference that would make between Manchester and Surrey. Or is it the possible usefulness of the certificate in one place over the other?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I would apply for an FAC or a SGC but:
  • I live in rented accommodation making the security requirement's problematic. When I spoke to me my local FEO he "prefers" if you meet FAC level security even for SGCs. I don't know if that means he'll find a reason to refuse your application....
  • I don't know anyone of "good standing" who could act as a reference who is not related to me by blood or marriage
  • There are relatively few shooting clubs near me and the ones that there are seem extremely insular.
  • They will not issue FACs for the reason I would like to apply for one, and being an honest man I object to lying.
  • I hate paperwork, especially government-issue paperwork.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rented shouldn't be a problem (unless the landlord objects) - it wasn't for me.

I've used whoever was handy for a referee - IT guys, a book keeper, an academic chap, a coroner - doesn't have to be a lawyer or what have you

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would apply for an FAC or a SGC but:
  • I live in rented accommodation making the security requirement's problematic. When I spoke to me my local FEO he "prefers" if you meet FAC level security even for SGCs. I don't know if that means he'll find a reason to refuse your application....
  • I don't know anyone of "good standing" who could act as a reference who is not related to me by blood or marriage
  • There are relatively few shooting clubs near me and the ones that there are seem extremely insular.
  • They will not issue FACs for the reason I would like to apply for one, and being an honest man I object to lying.
  • I hate paperwork, especially government-issue paperwork.

I think youve talked your self out of being able to do it, rather than find the solutions dude, what is the reason you want an FAC?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Applying for a SGC or a Sec.1 FAC are 2 completely different animals. If you apply for a SGC the onus is on the authorities to give good reason to refuse to grant.
If you apply for an FAC, you must prove good reason for ownership eg. target shooting, vermin control, deerstalking and join the appropriate club/have shooting rights.
If you apply for a SGC for clay pigeon shooting and obtained the necessary references, have the approved security and filled in the paperwork correctly, it would be very difficult for the police to refuse a grant, unless you have a police record or your landlord disapproves of shotguns on his premises.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I went out hunting with a chap and his .17hmr and he shot a nice bunny that made good jerky. Thing is I now have the bug that I want something with more poke than my TX200HC airgun (not that I have even shot anything myself yet) and was looking at joining a small bore club to get a .22 rimfire for target and hunting but now I’m told it's better to get a shotgun licence then apply for FAC at a later date?

Can you shoot pigeon and rabbit with a shotgun and still have enough usable meat and is it as clean a kill at a single shot to the head since I presume being closer range than a rimfire they wouldn’t be much pigeon or rabbit left and you could end up just maiming if you missed slightly?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’m told it's better to get a shotgun licence then apply for FAC at a later date?

No need to do that - I went FAC first then shotgun

Can you shoot pigeon and rabbit with a shotgun and still have enough usable meat and is it as clean a kill at a single shot to the head since I presume being closer range than a rimfire they wouldn’t be much bunny or rabbit left and you could end up just maiming it?

Depends on the shot, the range and the calibre. At 5 yards with a tightly choked 12 bore shooting heavy loads, there will just be a mist in the air. At 25 yards with a reasonable .410, less damage than a rimfire.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I presume if i get my FAC stating for club target shooting it will then cost me more money to add hunting to the FAC otherwise it breaks the law if i use it hunting and only have club use on the FAC?

Still tempted by the easier shotgun option but having a dodgy shoulder not sure it's the best plan.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I’m told it's better to get a shotgun licence then apply for FAC at a later date?

It's better, if that's the right word, cheaper and more convenient (for yourself and the police) if you apply for both at the same time (co-terminus) even on your initial application, if you intend to take part in both shotgun and rimfire/centrefire shooting activities, applying for a SGC first does not make it a gimee that you will be granted an FAC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE