Shotgun/FAC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a FAC or Shotgun licence?

• I've got a Shotgun licence

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I've got a Firearms certificate

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • I've got both :-)

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • I'm thinking of applying for one or both...

Votes: 67 39.4%

• Total voters

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just wondering who's got one or both of these? I'm thinking of applying for my shotgun licence, although if possible i'd apply for both. I've got a lot of land available to me and there's certain things that the air rifle can't do so well.

Anyone got some advice and what do you have? I think i'll add a poll :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Funny you should ask this now. I applied for my SGC about a week and a half ago and just had my first meeting with the field officer. All looking good so far. :D
I understand that FAC is significantly more difficult to get, though having land will be in your favour. I don't remember where, exactly, in Wales you are but I know Gwent Police are notoriously difficult.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a Section 1 FAC Tone (Firearms). I have a slight oddball in that I have section 1 shotgun clearance so haven't bothered with a Section 2 Shotgun. Shotgun Certificate is a slight misnomer these days (although that's what its commonly called) since it covers 2(+1) configuration and multiple projectiles rather than all shotguns (high capacity shotguns and solid shot are Section 1 items).

I'd be happy to shed any light I can on "whats what". Certainly if you have the land I go the "coterminous" route (both types with matching dates - its cheaper that way)

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
FAC only here
as I've been brought up with the expected accuracy and my intended prey are notoriously people shy. That said I've never yet handled a shotgun so I'm in no position to compare directly between the two.
My application was very straightforward and the local FEO couldn't have been nicer. I use rimfire .22 as any thing else would probably be overkill for my purpose, not-with-standing the fragmentation/ricochet issue.

What will be your intended bag Tony?

ATB

Ogri the trog

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Get a letter from the landowner giving permission to shoot on the land;find two referees;make sure that your cabinet is up to full spec;don't let them pin you down too specifically on where you can shoot;join BASC for the insurance.

It all depends on your local police really.Here in Norfolk they are very good.

Good luck.:)

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Only hold a shotgun permit now but did hold both until handguns became an issue. Have to say that the firearms section of south wales police have always been great from the issue of my first ticket in 1977 upto my renewal last year. Dont know if it would help tony but you may find joining a clay club might be a good starting point if you have no experience, they would give you all the safety and gun handling advice you would need and would also provide you with referees for your application. Hope this is of help and best of luck.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I'm a shotgun owner mainly for pigeons,clays and the occasional beaters day. My advice would be to talk to your local Police Firearms Office. My local office for North Hampshire were very helpful with advice about where to put my safe and how to apply. I actually applied using a form downloaded from the County Police Website. As has been said it's important to have references and if they are also licence holders it can help.
By the way, the BASC website has some brilliant advice and guidance PDFs which are well worth a browse.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ive both, and the application proscess are the oposite to each other.
With a shotgun, the police need good reason on THEIR part, why you are not fit to have one,with a "FAC" YOU have to have good reason AND the land to shoot over.If you have the land and the owner is willing to be nominated on your FAC then that is a start.But this is where it can start getting tricky (depending on which liscensing area you come under) for example i know somebody who didnt have any basic knowledge of firearms have a condition put on his FAC (when it was finaly granted) that he could only shoot with somebody else who had on the land nominated, for him it wasnt a problem, but it could be.
IF you have any problems like this then my advise would be to get an FAC air rifle to start then at a later date put in a variation for a 22 and soforth.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wheres the option for "I had a shotgun licence when I was 15 but as my father who had the farm is dead now I sold the gun and have never reniewed my licence" [x]

;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for all the posts guys, the advice and pointers.

I've got 4 places that I can go and shoot amounting to about 1450 acres. It would be pigeon, geese, fox and rabbit mostly. It would be good to be in a position to help out wtih deer at a couple of places I know but that's not a big deal.

I'll talk to the local Firearms guy as advised. I presume that shotguns and rifles can be in the same cabinet? Ammo has to be stored separately for rifles?

Cheers ;)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hmm, you have a biased poll Tony. There is no option for not having or not wanting a licence...

Cheers, Nag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quite right Tony - shotguns and rifles can sahre a cabinet - rifle ammo must be secure and separate (many forces also like bolts etc. removed and secured separately). Rules on shotgun ammo are slightly different but check with your FEO

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Quite right Tony - shotguns and rifles can sahre a cabinet - rifle ammo must be secure and separate (many forces also like bolts etc. removed and secured separately). Rules on shotgun ammo are slightly different but check with your FEO

Red

K, thanks Red, i'll have a word with him, in the part of the world I am I expect I know a few people that know him personally so it should be easy enough.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Tony,

I have both. Indeed I am fortunate that my FAC for .22rf is "open" in that I can shoot on "suitable land with the owners permission" as well as on land specified on my certificate.

I've never had anything but a helpful attitude from Cambridgeshire,my local force.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE