Shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have got an Hennessy a-sym expedition but have bought the larger hex rain fly sheet for it. This works very well as you can have one side down to the ground and the other side out horizontal, giving you the feel of real "roominess" :pack:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I use my Wiggy bag system, one bag rated @ 35 degrees and another @ 0. mated together @ -10 degrees I can meet most any temperature condition short of a full arctic weatherfront. I have a foam pad, full 72" length and my 9'x9' nylon tarp and Flektar poncho. If I need a tent, it's a cowboy canvas Tepee and a 3 Dog woodburning stove.

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
Bushblade, very interesting that you are adapting the nomad hammock as I am in the process of doing the same thing. It looks from you pictures as if you have replaced the original lines with elastics? How has it performed?

I had been thinking about replacing them with a small loop of webbing to cut down on knots and unecessary ends and hadn't thought about elastic/ bungee type cord.

Steve

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
You can but the nomad hammock and mosquito net from a few places, Online at www.nomadtravel.co.uk, your local Outdoor or Scout shop.

A word of warning though, I also bought the Jungle basha...

The hammock is green, the mossie net is greed, the basha is Blue... go figure. They reckon its because a shelter should be easy to find in the jungle. In that cas you would make it bright orange, not dark blue. And in any case, what are you doing in the jungle if you are not capble of finding your camp, and when visibility is yards how would that work anyway.... When I asked them about a green one, the best htey could offer was a British Army basha.

So i bought an Oz Hootchi of e-bay (there have been 5 on there over the last 2 weeks... ) for 29 quid including p&p (would need to buy para cord as they do not come with lines.

Otherwise the Hammock and Net are good and relatively cheap too.

G:

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
This week I have mostly been sleeping naked!

Errr, no not really!!! Half length german folding kip mat, issue bivi bag, Softie doss bag, all concealed nicely under either a jungle sheet, or my own personally created 2oz ripstop nylon basha sheet!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Well I've just got back, 4 of the most wet days I've ever spent in the outdoors! Everywhere got flooded I didn't have many opportunities to take photos, so damn wet, but I'll try and get some up tomorrow.
The only time I was dry when I was sleeping!

Steve K said:
Bushblade, very interesting that you are adapting the nomad hammock as I am in the process of doing the same thing. It looks from you pictures as if you have replaced the original lines with elastics? How has it performed?

I had been thinking about replacing them with a small loop of webbing to cut down on knots and unecessary ends and hadn't thought about elastic/ bungee type cord.

Steve

No not elastic or bungee! That would be very silly! Its 25mm green nylon webbing from Pointnorth.co.uk

Dave said:
I noticed on this website:http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/clothing.htm
they reccomend the nomad hammock.
And further down the page they also reccomend the
LIFE SYSTEMS MOSQUITO NET.
presumably to go with the Nomad hammock?

Is this the net you use bushblade? And if so does it 'tuck' into the sides of the hammock?

And does anyone know where you can get them?

Lifesystems do not make a mosquito net that works well with a hammock, I asked the rep last time he was in store and he said no.
As already stated Nomad make a net that works with the hammock, but I've not tried it and don't see any need to for UK use, even in midge infested Scotland. The hammock is twin layer and I find this good enough on its own.

masongary44 said:
Scotland you say,.... Bushcraft or B&B. I would be intrerested if you find anywhere suitable to spend a few days living as you do on the Woodlander course... there are so few places to do it orund Manchester..

Enjoy, I am jealous!!

Gary

Bushcraft of course! B'n'B..... really! moi :nono: :)
There are some fantastic places in Scotland, not too far from the border too if you know where to look. I don't want to be too specific about where, I'm sure most of you understand especially in light of the recent events at Stuarts/Bearclaw site.
But I'd be happy to show, in person, the locations to most individuals on this site. I usually end up going on my own anyway, so some company could be good :biggthump

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I use a cheap roll mat over which I use my Thermarest luxury model mat. I sleep in an Army Gore Tex bag, in a Rab 360 with an Army Issue Ponch as cover. It all works fairly well.

J

Jazzman

I use a sort of improvised "eco sleep" with a British Army Basha and a hammock. exremely comfy.

Otherwise I'll build my own (usually a kind of tipi thing made of braches)

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Well here's a couple of pics of my hammock as promised, taken in the short lived sunshine of Saturday.

80652.jpg

80653.jpg

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
Bushblade, nice pictures.

I am hoping to get a night in my hammock at the weekend now that I've added rings and webbing.

Further to my last question did you leave the original lines between the hammock and the rings?

Steve

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Steve K said:
Bushblade, nice pictures.

I am hoping to get a night in my hammock at the weekend now that I've added rings and webbing.

Further to my last question did you leave the original lines between the hammock and the rings?

Steve

At first yes I used the lines to connect the hammock to the rings I just cut 2 short lengths (about 12cm each) threaded them through the hammock, through the rings and fastened the ends together with a double sheet bend. I later replaced these short lengths with 5mm green rope (just a bit more heavy duty).

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
bushblade said:
But I'd be happy to show, in person, the locations to most individuals on this site. I usually end up going on my own anyway, so some company could be good :biggthump

Thats a mighty fine offer... I would love to take you up on that one!! please get in touch and we can try and sort something out. I am fairly new to this game (well a lifetime in the scouts and a few courses) and it would be great to travel with someone experienced.

Its just a shame i found / joined the community a bit late to be able to get to the meet.

Gary

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I use an OG Basha, one of the old issue ones. I have been using various hammocks with this over the years and these are much the same as the Nomad design, I have just experimented with different fabrics.
My current hammock has a built in midge net (you don't feel quite so closed in) and a thermarest pocket, so your not fighting to keep the thing under you all night.
I'm working on a project, to be posted here, which is a light weight, ultra compact sleeping system, thats fairly easy to make (watch this space).
Neil

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I'm using a Hennesy ultralight backpacker, and relying on it being over engineered to take my 16 stone. I use a thermarest in it , and have unclipped the hennessy fly and replaced it with an SASS (aussie i think) hoochie. Its slightly larger than the origional fly and offers many more options if you cant sling the hammock.
Works well for me :p
Cheers
Rich

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
What is the best system for sleeping under a tarp In your opinions, I would like to buy one soon but am not sure what i should have with it as i've never slept under one before. Should it just be a mat with your sleeping bag on top and then a bivvy bag over that if it's a chilly night???

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
And what if you don't have a bivvi? Instead can you put a poncho liner down and then just lay in your sleeping bag on that???

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Neil1 said:
IMy current hammock has a built in midge net (you don't feel quite so closed in) and a thermarest pocket, so your not fighting to keep the thing under you all night.

What is this hammock? sounds perfect! where can I get one? gimme gimme!!! I want! :wink:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I gotta nomad jungle hammock, used it in borneo its like an envelope so you can treat it with permathrin (mozzi repellent) and get inside it, used with a hoochi/basha its a perfect set up for around 50 quid :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE