Shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
hennesy hammock ultralite asym

98hammock.jpg

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Henessy hammock A-sym (sometimes in the attic), Sleeping bag and poncho, or just on the Ground in summer, in my bed and on occasion on the landing floor under my jacket.

James

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
On the tent front I have a Wolfskin Tundra 2 and I don't like it.
Want something new.....

Must be green or "natural" coloured, capable of a bit more than campsite work (though not necessarily 4 season or mountain capable), big enough for two in comfort, light and easy to erect.....

Suggestions, or do I need a new thread?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

In my Haglöfs sleeping bag, on a normal mat and under a tarp/poncho. :wink:
Sometimes spruce boughs, but depends. :biggthump

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I have used a:

Poncho as a tarp with bivi bag

Hootchie with bivvi bag

Argos Pro-Action 1man tent (excellent value for the money, and green!)

Kyham Highlander 2man tent (20 sec quick erect jobbie), used mainly for campsites and on courses when a little luxury is wanted :eek:):

..have never made a natural shelter, as Gary will testify ! :rant: :nana:

Brynglas

I use a basha of indeterminate origin, I've had it years and it suits me as it's light, low impact colours with plenty of guying points. With it I either just use my buffalo bag on a thermarest or an Arktis hammock which is a 1st class bit of kit, hardwearing, stable, sturdy (I'm fifteen and a half stone and it's never thrown me out) and the best bit is that it has sleeves down the sides which can take poles to make an A frame bed. I find this combo gives me a great deal of flexibility over a wide variety of campsites. I always use my thermarest with the hammock as I find the insulation is a great bonus.
:pack:

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
bushblade said:
In a Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 300 or Military II in a customised nomad medical hammock or British Army OG bivi bag.
On a Thermarest Pro lite 3 short or full length.
Under a Australian Army Hoochie.

I have just bought an Australian Hootchie after using it on a Woodsmoke "Woodlander" course, I have also bought a Nomad Hamock as a cheaper alternative to the ray mears system... I would be interested to know how you have customised it / improved it??

G:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
masongary44 said:
I have just bought an Australian Hootchie after using it on a Woodsmoke "Woodlander" course, I have also bought a Nomad Hamock as a cheaper alternative to the ray mears system... I would be interested to know how you have customised it / improved it??

G:

I did the same last year after my woodlander :wink:
The ties that come with it are not nearly long enough so I replaced these with a 6m length of 25mm webbing at each end (available from http://www.pointnorth.co.uk).
You were probably told about setting up drip lines on your woodlander, but by far the best system for drip lines is this;

68029.jpg

The stainless steel rings are also available from point north, but karabiners work well also.
The knots you need to use are here http://www.pyramidbodyguards.co.uk/raymears/hintsandtips.asp
but you will probably be familiar with these as they are variations of the knots you learned on your woodlander.
There are more pictures in my gallery if they will help.
I'm just about to set off for 4 days in Scotland so I'll try and take some more pics.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Scotland you say,.... Bushcraft or B&B. I would be intrerested if you find anywhere suitable to spend a few days living as you do on the Woodlander course... there are so few places to do it orund Manchester..

Enjoy, I am jealous!!

Gary

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I noticed on this website:http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/clothing.htm
they reccomend the nomad hammock.
And further down the page they also reccomend the
LIFE SYSTEMS MOSQUITO NET.
presumably to go with the Nomad hammock?

Is this the net you use bushblade? And if so does it 'tuck' into the sides of the hammock?

And does anyone know where you can get them?
:pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE