Shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 23, 2004
Essex
bushblade said:
Pemethrin is an insecticide not a repellant

If it kills the little bleeders then I'd say they're pretty well repelled!

I use a british army tarp/ shelter sheet. It's pretty versatile and very light.

T

Tedders

Oh, how nice to find people who think like me. For too long now I thought I was on my own with my different hammocks, poncho liners and homemade stoves. In fact, I started to think I was becoming obsessed by all things woody. I feel normal again!

I sleep either with a army bivi, thermarest, sleeping bag and basha in the mountains, or a nomad hammock, basha, poncho liner in the woods (with a mat in winter)... but seeing the earlier posts i will be altering the system.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
What would you suggest as a lightweight mat? I don't mind whether it's inflatable etc but I don't want to fork out the £45 for a Thermarest.

I'm using just a cheap Roll mat but I want somthing more comfortable and insulative.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
British Army Bivvi Bag, mostly.
Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Hammock, where there's trees. (Damn this island I live on which has so few trees!)

(Also have a little 2man Mountain Hardware Thru Hiker Tent too for when we go "posh" camping. :p )

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Young Bushman said:
What do you sleep in/under/ under and in/ up and under? Huh!

Well where to start?

Tents
- 2 man Vango for me +/- wife when canoe/kayak/travel etc.
- 6 berth frame tent (30 years old) for family camping
- 2 man Campari ridge (35 years old) not for some time

Volkswagen Transporter - when touring, plus a new awning as yet not tried or tested.

My most recent acquisitions are a bivy and basha – tested in the back garden last weekend. Great night out and spent ages this Friday having fun attempting a multitude of differing pitching styles/techniques – a very versatile piece of kit.

Now where did I put that link for the hammock!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Elliott

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Personally I dont like hammocks - never have never will do, if I go to the Jungle I will use one because thats where they are in the eliment but until then I'll sleep as the good lord intended - on the ground which means if I'm travelling light, hootchie/basha, bivi bag, sleeping bag and ground mat but if I'm being civilized then tent (wild country Sirocco) and all the trimmings.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Hoodoo said:
I've found the MSR Hubba 1 to be one of the finest solo tents I've ever used.

msrhubbav1.jpg

Well, we won't have much difficulty spotting you then!

Burnt Ash

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Gary said:
if I'm being civilized then tent (wild country Sirocco) and all the trimmings.

I agree with the civilized bit... I think if you're going to take a tent, you may as well take a gennie, TV, fridge and microwave.

I haven't used a hammock yet and I really want to but I have to be honest and say that bivi's do my head in a little... they are always uncomfortable and too constricting. I would rather just have a warmer bag and make sure the hootchie is covering me well.

Other than if you're carrying everything you're going to have for several miles, I take a tent and a double air matress, bashas are an emergency measure for me, for unplanned nights out or to carry at all times just incase I feel like staying.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Nice tips Bushblade. I too have been unsatisfied with the ties on my Nomad. I was tinkering with the idea of a Hennessey but I now I've seen your set up I've decided to re-set up the old Nomad.

Ta very much.

Matt

To stay on thread....I use an Auscam Hootchie, and as I always get hot at night an old drafty Coleman sleeping bag. And if a hammock isn't practical I'll use the good 'ole British Army Bivi.
If I'm wild camping I use an MSR Zoid 1 - and don't think that's living it up 'cos the Zoid is tiny (but nice and light in my rucksack). I'm a bit of a fan of MSR kit and really like the look of Hoodoo's Hubba.

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
I suddenly feel like a cosseted amateur (thats ok cause I am!) since i dont sleep under a tarp!

Macpac Zenith Microlight tent, Snugpak Travelpak 650 sleeping bag with Snugpak Silk liner if necessary, Thermarest Ultralight 3/4 length mat, and a polycotton pillowcase stolen from SWMBO's linnen closet when she wasn't looking.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
scenerario: sleeping under a tarp on an insulative mat, wrapped in a poncho liner in the warmer months.

Would this be warm enough?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
scenerario: sleeping under a tarp on an insulative mat, wrapped in a poncho liner in the warmer months.

Yes and even better with a fire going next to you! :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos

not for me! :roll:

only one way to find out, get out in the garden and try it :super:

cheers, and.

Paganwolf said:
I gotta nomad jungle hammock, used it in borneo its like an envelope so you can treat it with permathrin (mozzi repellent) and get inside it, used with a hoochi/basha its a perfect set up for around 50 quid :shock:
Hi everyone....just registered, so this is my first post! I have just bought a nomad hammock. A piece of paper contained in the stuff-sac say's they have changed the material used for the hammock and now only recommend sleeping between the layers in an emergancy. The new material is lighterweight and dries quicker (apparently).

leon-1

Fenlander said:
Hi everyone....just registered, so this is my first post! I have just bought a nomad hammock. A piece of paper contained in the stuff-sac say's they have changed the material used for the hammock and now only recommend sleeping between the layers in an emergancy. The new material is lighterweight and dries quicker (apparently).

Thanks for the information Fenlander and Welcome to BCUK :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE