Sheath addons.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys.
Just got my long waited custom knife from M390 steel. But want to mod the sheath a little bit, already have the teklok on for horizontal carry and would really like to put a firesteel on it. So there's my dilema. What do you think would be better, kydex loop or a small pouch paracorded to the sheath? I only need the fire with me, I have no desire to put a whole survival kit on it. So kydex loop would be sufficient, but the pouch is I think more convenient and would fit a bit of tinder as well.

Also with kydex I have two options, to go like this:

Or like this:

Any thoughts much appriciated.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I'm currently fixing on a loop to "dongle carry" the knife on rucksack hip belt. But for when it's just me and my pockets, horizontal carry at my belly 100% of the time. I love the convenience.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Honestly I don't think I'd bother putting the steel on it just sonething to get in your way or catch on something.carrying it at the front the more streamline the better I'd say.i know we're your coming from I have fire steel loops on a few home made sheaths ive made n it's nice too have your basic requirements right their in one place.you not fancy one of those key chain type things were you can put your steel in your pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
IMO, pouch looks too bulky because it's gusseted. A simple flat pouch would be better.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
If you're going for a horizontal carry; I reckon the streamlined approach would be more ergonomic. Tuck the fire steel in your pocket on a cord OR go with pic 4 if you want it in your sheath.
I do like a small pouch on a sheath just to house a firesteel, tinder and stone but only looks right if it's vertical (and helps stop it all falling out?).
The blade looks great either way and the kydex sheath looks the biz alongside it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
That's what I was leaning towards, less is more.
But I am very interested what do people put on their sheaths, I know how compelling it is to creat a whole survival kit around your favourite knife.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Why not go for a little seperate loop for a big firesteel, MCQ bushcraft, does a really nice looking one, I mean if you are going to have a belt for the knife then having an extra little thing on the belt won't hurt, not like you are going to end up looking like batman, right?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I went with low profile. This is my backup firesteel, easy to find and with a bit of tinder in the handle. The handle bulge on the sheath also stops it from sliding out in case the elastic breaks.
My first time with kydex so be gentle.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
After 10 min in the woods and the tip broken in the birch bark I tried the rest of the knife (see above yt video). Knife made of glass, 4.3mm m390 snapped with one hand.
Heat treat issue.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Already sorted, money returned. This guy have his own electric furnace and he's producing hes own hrc. Suspended work until he finds out what went wrong.

I'm talking to another maker who works at university and uses their metalurgy departament for his blades. This time I'm going with Elmax as it suppose to be a more durable variant of m390.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Blimey, that really is a messed up heat treat! My first thought on your OP was 'what a great looking knife'.

I'm familiar with the maker although I've never owned one of his knives. I wonder how many other knives are out there like that.

Best of luck with your next knife!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I like the idea of add on's I'm going with a fire steel and ceramic rod plus a glow pen made from two vials from a military marker think this will end up on my garberg, I prefer the option you had with the fire steel inline with the seam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE