Sharpenning an Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hello people.

I did a search for this but apparently the word 'axe' is "either very common, too long, or too short and was not included in my search" :( .

Anyway... I'll be soon buying an GB SFA axe (when I hear back from the company I'm buying it from) and was thinking about what is best for sharpenning an axe.

What's the best/easiest way to sharpen one of these? I was thinking of buying one of those GB Axe stones (the round course/fine one in a rubber casing), but is it possible to shapen an axe on a normal wetstone, as I already have an 800, 1200 and 6000?

Thanks,
Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I always sharpen my axe on an oil stone, haven't had a go with it on my waterstones yet though. Saying that, it's actually an estwing hatchet which I am rapidly disliking, not sure how to break that to the missus!!! I am dropping hints for a GB axe for christmas though!

I can see no reason why you can't use the waterstones, but the puck like stone would be easier to carry with you, and I have heard about a file designed for the GB axes aswell. Somebody here will probably have more of an idea about that.

leon-1

spamel said:
can see no reason why you can't use the waterstones, but the puck like stone would be easier to carry with you, and I have heard about a file designed for the GB axes aswell. Somebody here will probably have more of an idea about that.

Superb peice of kit, moduser brought one down to the Dartmoor meet, just as well as one of the guys was in dire need of it, for doing repair work (flattening and regrinding an edge) I would say it is one of the best peices of kit I have seen, they are also reasonably small and light to carry :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think I get what you mean. My dad did the same for his oil stone, just cut a hole out of a block of wood, 1/2 the depth of the stone, and pop it in. It may be a bit of a job with a diamond stone though, I didn't think they were all that thick. How about mounting it on a block of wood with a glue of some kind, or even velcro?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like to use wet/dry sand paper mounted on a sanding block made by gluing a piece of mousepad to a wooden block. This makes it easy to maintain a convex bevel on the axe.

axehoning2b.jpg

hhonewwetterling.jpg

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
leon-1 said:
Superb peice of kit, moduser brought one down to the Dartmoor meet, just as well as one of the guys was in dire need of it, for doing repair work (flattening and regrinding an edge) I would say it is one of the best peices of kit I have seen, they are also reasonably small and light to carry :)

Is there much difference between the way the files sharpen the axe, and the way the round GB axe stone would?

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
The file is used to remove any nicks etc from the axe and the stone to resharpen the edge (don't own either the stone or file myself yet but found this info on a Swedish site) so in theory you should never need the file ;)

leon-1

tommywidenflycht said:
The file is used to remove any nicks etc from the axe and the stone to resharpen the edge (don't own either the stone or file myself yet but found this info on a Swedish site) so in theory you should never need the file ;)

As tommy has said the file is really for removing quite large quantities of metal quickly, as in removing nicks and it is very good at it.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
tommywidenflycht said:

Cheers, I think I'll get a stone then. I guess I'll only need a file if I seriously damage the edge enough to warrant one (and they're more expensive than the stone) :rolleyes: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE