Legality on entering an axe to the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ErPyxtolax

Aug 11, 2022
Regular traveler in Scotland
Now this is a question I've asked lots of times to different people, and despite usually having a positive answer, I still have my doubts on it.

I don't live in the UK but travel in and out of Scotland a lot for camping and bushcraft, and most of the time I carry a tomahawk and knife with me. Airport check-in staff usually tells me that there shouldn't be an issue with me carrying an axe on the flight luggage seeing that its accompanied by full camping equipment, and I think there isn't an issue with carrying equipment like this across the EU, but going from EU-UK and back might be a different story. I once saw a flyer at the airport at Glasgow saying that specific types of weaponry were banned, but the flyer was vague enough that I still don't know if my axe would be allowed to fly into the UK or not.

I don't mind risking having it confiscated, I can always buy a new one, but I do fear the risk of getting into legal trouble. So does anybody know the legality of this?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Again as stated, luggage in the hold of the plane is okay, but carry copies of the course or planned meeting communications as a justification of carrying such items.

The law states that if there is reason and justification for carrying such tools, and in context, I e. With camping gear, that is fine, and wrapped up so not easy to quickly access.

Now if the organised meeting or course is on common land or wild camping, even with place by place permission, an axe and saw is normally okay, but fixed blades are looked at differently.....still okay with justification, think about whom will be observing you.

So in that case I would normally carry a sub 3 inch non locking folder.

ErPyxtolax

Aug 11, 2022
Regular traveler in Scotland
Again as stated, luggage in the hold of the plane is okay, but carry copies of the course or planned meeting communications as a justification of carrying such items.

The law states that if there is reason and justification for carrying such tools, and in context, I e. With camping gear, that is fine.

Now if the organised meeting or course is on common land or wild camping, even with place by place permission, an axe and saw is normally okay, but fixed blades are looked at differently.....still okay with justification, think about whom will be observing you.

So in that case I would normally carry a sub 3 inch non locking folder.
That is very odd, since in my country, folding blades are a LOT more frowned upon and especially, illegal, than fixed blades.

So in that case, I should be reassured that carrying an axe in and out of the UK is fine, but I should be more wary of carrying my knife around since its a fixed blade.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I fly in and out of the UK all the time with my bushcraft equipment. As an instructor this can be a lot of sharps including knives and axes. I have had no issues. You have a justifiable reason to carry the equipment travelling to and from the woods.

One of my team had a major issue with a security guard in a small regional airport in France several years ago. He had a small forest axe and a billhook. Hold luggage. She insisted they were weapons and wouldn't allow them on board. Even called the police who told her to stop being an idiot. However she wouldn't budge so he ended up leaving them locked in the boot of his car and travelled without. Cost me a new SFA so he could run the Bow Making Course for me.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Just buy a cheap item once here is one idea,
I've only ever travelled with a leather man multi tool or swiss army knife in my checked luggage and never had a problem. I carnt see it being a problem but you need to know everything except a small non locking folder is illegal in the UK unless it is deemed a tool like an axe but it all comes down to the officer dealing with it , I find a folding saw much better

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
The only legal trouble will come with specifically banned items, flick knives, butterfly knives, push daggers etc. Your standard camping items should be ok.

Artois

Oct 28, 2012
Yorkshire
You are right to be cautious, it seems to me that its not the law that is ambiguous, but the interpretation of it by any individual in authority, even a Leatherman is not legal as it has a locking blade, just buy some cheap kit when you get here to be 100% safe, a trip to any hardware store will see you ok.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You are right to be cautious, it seems to me that its not the law that is ambiguous, but the interpretation of it by any individual in authority, even a Leatherman is not legal as it has a locking blade, just buy some cheap kit when you get here to be 100% safe, a trip to any hardware store will see you ok.
Last I knew of it Leatherman's are legal even with a locking blade. If they weren't legal then the large number of police officers I've seen carrying them on their belts would have a hard time explaining why they've got one.

What you need to do is to have a justifiable reason for carrying it or having it in your kit.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Post 9-11 a lady from the UK bought a G I Joe action figure for a nephew. The plastic, @4” M1 Garand rifle was seized. Joe Foss,
WW2 holder of the Congressional Medal of Honor was detained briefly. A TSA agent thought it was a throwing star. I, and a 80yo Sikh
Had to remove our shoes after the shoe bomber. I had a multi tool in my cargoed luggage. I then sat, next to the Sikhs next to the emergency exit. Worried attendant and pilot approached us as we were putting our shoes back on.
I displayed my USCG retired I D
And SOLAS credentials. I was helping test life rafts.
Bottom line? We are subject to capricious stupidity regardless of laws and compliance. Option? Mail it ahead if possible.

Artois

Oct 28, 2012
Yorkshire
Last I knew of it Leatherman's are legal even with a locking blade. If they weren't legal then the large number of police officers I've seen carrying them on their belts would have a hard time explaining why they've got one.

What you need to do is to have a justifiable reason for carrying it or having it in your kit.
A Leatherman is not legal carry, don't fall into that mistake, it could be costly.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A Leatherman is not legal carry, don't fall into that mistake, it could be costly.
Can you provide further information to back up your assertation that Leathermans aren't able to be carried legally?

Last I knew of it Leathermans come under the same category as lockback knives which can be carried legally if you have a justifiable reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartinK9

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Can you provide further information to back up your assertation that Leathermans aren't able to be carried legally?

Last I knew of it Leathermans come under the same category as lockback knives which can be carried legally if you have a justifiable reason.

The issue here is language a lot of people use the term illegal when they mean not an everyday carry.

Steve you’re quite right as a locking blade, a Leatherman legally is the same as a Mora fixed blade requiring a justifiable reason for carry.
The difference is most people do not associate a Leatherman as a weapon it’s a multi tool and therefore easier to justify carrying.

Any bladed article in the wrong location at the wrong time will have the potential get you into trouble. I would argue that the majority of police officers do not have a justification for carrying a Leatherman on their belt routinely any more than any other member of the public. You don’t need a Leatherman to take a witness statement etc.

My numerous knives I own for bushcraft are all legal. I had to get rid of my Ninjutsu weapons many years back when they were outlawed specifically. Some are now illegal to own even if like me you owned them and could prove it since 1980.

Standard bushcraft knives and multi tools are not illegal and in all probability never will be. They are tools used by every household. Context is everything.

Artois

Oct 28, 2012
Yorkshire
Yes, I apologise, its all in the syntax, I appreciate they are not illegal as such, but its where you are carrying it and for what reason that matters, its blade is under 3" (well mine is on my wave and my Gerber MP1) but as a locking blade it is not an EDC in the UK without proper justification.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE