sessile oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well got quite a few recent wind fallen sessile oaks in my local woods and was after some simple craft ideas of stuff I could carve etc. I am new to this and I am not sure how sessile oak is for carving I know it has a high crown but thats about it.
Just want an excuse to paly with knives really! :lmao: Dave

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have no experience with it but if its an oak im fairly sure it will be a hard wood and therefore difficult to carve
leon

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
thanks leon I realise it is hard but I didn't think in its green state it was un workable........lots of fallen birch as well....ta Dave :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Birch is lovely to carve and green oak very do-able with a sharp knife (buy a gauntlet for your weak hand though)

Spoons,
Spatulas
Ladles
Kuksa
Bowl
Fire Gear (pot hangers, fire cranes etc.)
Wlaking sticks, staffs and staves

All these and more spring to mind

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use quite a lot of seasoned oak for carving - spoons knife, handles, etc and YES it is a hard wood but with sharp tools this is not a problem and the resulting tool is very durable (and yes I know about oak/steel corrosion problems!) and Oak LOOKS fantastic!
John

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for the suggestions. I love oak but have never worked with it I think it can look beautiful finished..............have to go back to the woods now oh drat!! :rolleyes: Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE