Semi-permanent Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thankyou mikergj, The purpose of my thread was to see other peoples opinions, I have learnt now and it will not happen again :)
Thanks again for your support :D

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Ben, you are truly a good, patient man, i cannot praise your good manners enough mate.

fair play to you Ben and long may you continue.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've come this late and skimmed most of it, I think Ben that as long as you're in the process of making it better through effort and learning more things as you go you're on the right track, If you had just moved into the space and created your shelter, cut down the trees etc then you'd get an unsympathetic roasting, to me though it looks like you're there with permission, you're improving the site by clearing up and you've used your initiative to build with what's available, the biggest thing though is that you're willing to listen to what people have to say and then hopefully you'll put that into practice, some of the advise here is brilliant and will greatly improve your enjoyment and comfort as well as build your knowledge.

Although I appreciate where some of the comment have come from the tone in places has been harsh, it's probably better to ask questions about the situation than make assumptions, Ben seems more than willing to explain what's going on.

Keep with it Ben, do it right mate, that may involve you moving your camp, starting again, consider the legal side of things and just do what's right etc but you're getting out and getting stuck in so good on you goodjob

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
For your camp to be reffered to as a "tramps dosshole" is an opinoin which everyone has a right to, however i was always brought up with "if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say it at all"

Anyone would think there is some kind of hive mind at work here. Look, vigorous debate and robust opinion is natural and healthy. It's part of life [<--link], it's how we measure the checks and balances that keeps our feet on the ground and keep us heading in roughly the right direction. I dont see why the interweb should be immune from it and and I dont think it should be. I do realise that some people think we should all just get along with a big hug and a bit of a kiss, but that's possibly a little unrealistic. I said the shelter looks like a tramps dosshole, because that's just what it looks like, mainly because of the carpet and because it's so close to allotments. I also doubt that anyone is simple minded enough to change their behaviour, solely as a consequence of some blokes opinion on the internet. If frank and robust opinion upsets you that much, you are probably going to make yourself ill using internet chatrooms.

Beenn, we've probably got off on the wrong foot here, but well done for taking it down. Unfortunately "leave no trace" means "leave no semi-permanent shelters" unless it's your own back garden. That's not just because it's unlawful, it's just considerate to leave our tiny bit of countryside free of eyesores so others can enjoy it too. Obviously other people disagree. If my opinion on the subject came across strongly, that is because I feel strongly about it and I intended it too - and I have no intention of patronising you with insincere apologies, other than to say I hope you realise my criticism of your shelter was nothing more than that. We are all adults. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll make up your own mind and follow that.

Last edited:

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Anyone would think there is some kind of hive mind at work here. Look, vigorous debate and robust opinion is natural and healthy. It's part of life [<--link], it's how we measure the checks and balances that keeps our feet on the ground and keep us heading in roughly the right direction. I dont see why the interweb should be immune from it and and I dont think it should be. I do realise that some people think we should all just get along with a big hug and a bit of a kiss, but that's possibly a little unrealistic. I said the shelter looks like a tramps dosshole, because that's just what it looks like, mainly because of the carpet and because it's so close to allotments. I also doubt that anyone is simple minded enough to change their behaviour, solely as a consequence of some blokes opinion on the internet. If frank and robust opinion upsets you that much, you are probably going to make yourself ill using internet chatrooms.

Beenn, we've probably got off on the wrong foot here, but well done for taking it down. Unfortunately "leave no trace" means "leave no semi-permanent shelters" unless it's your own back garden. That's not just because it's unlawful, it's just considerate to leave our tiny bit of countryside free of eyesores so others can enjoy it too. Obviously other people disagree. If my opinion on the subject came across strongly, that is because I feel strongly about it and I intended it too - and I have no intention of patronising you with insincere apologies, other than to say I hope you realise my criticism of your shelter was nothing more than that. We are all adults. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll make up your own mind and follow that.

Well said that man !:35:

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Anyone would think there is some kind of hive mind at work here. Look, vigorous debate and robust opinion is natural and healthy. It's part of life [<--link], it's how we measure the checks and balances that keeps our feet on the ground and keep us heading in roughly the right direction.

I agree.

I dint see why the inter web should be immune from it and and I dint think it should be. I do realize that some people think we should all just get along with a big hug and a bit of a kiss, but that's possibly a little unrealistic.

Again i agree, but as adults we should be able to get on and discuss matters in a civilized way.

I said the shelter looks like a tramps dosshole, because that's just what it looks like, mainly because of the carpet and because it's so close to allotments. I also doubt that anyone is simple minded enough to change their behavior, solely as a consequence of some blokes opinion on the internet.

I agree it looks like a gypsy den, however i and others have given him constructive criticism

*deffinition of constructive criticism;-

Constructive criticism, or constructive analysis, is a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Having higher experience, gifts, respect, knowledge in specific field and being able to verbally convince at the same time, this person is intending to uplift the other person materially, morally, emotionally or spiritually. For high probability in succeeding compassionate criticism, the critic has to be in some kind of healthy personal relationship with the other one, which is normally a parent to child, friend to friend, teacher to student, spouse to spouse or any kind of recognized authority in specific field. Hence the word constructive is used so that something is created or visible outcome generated rather than the opposite. Participatory learning in pedagogy is based on these principles of constructive criticism, focusing on positive examples to be emulated over precepts to be followed.*

which after reading your posts, you clearly have not gave any other than derogative remarks and accusations.

If frank and robust opinion upsets you that much, you are probably going to make yourself ill using internet chatrooms.

I agree, however as Beenn is a new member and clearly wants to learn, a bombardment of abuse could of led to him not bothering, going somewhere else, thinking that this forum is for elitists and very hostile.

Beenn, we've probably got off on the wrong foot here, but well done for taking it down. Unfortunately "leave no trace" means "leave no semi-permanent shelters" unless it's your own back garden. That's not just because it's unlawful, it's just considerate to leave our tiny bit of countryside free of eyesores so others can enjoy it too. Obviously other people disagree.

I agree that we should have no eyesores on our wonderful countryside, however it was private land and he had permission, therefore he could have left it there but he chose not to.

If my opinion on the subject came across strongly, that is because I feel strongly about it and I intended it too - and I have no intention of patronizing you with insincere apologies, other than to say I hope you realize my criticism of your shelter was nothing more than that. We are all adults. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll make up your own mind and follow that.

Yes we are all adults and criticism is wanted by everyone, however its the way we say it. If you genuinly wanted to advise and help, then your post's would have reflected it.

I may only have a small post count, compared to you Martyn, but i always try to be helpful and offer advice if needed.

ATB

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
I agree.

Again i agree, but as adults we should be able to get on and discuss matters in a civilized way.

I agree it looks like a gypsy den, however i and others have given him constructive criticism

*deffinition of constructive criticism;-

Constructive criticism, or constructive analysis, is a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Having higher experience, gifts, respect, knowledge in specific field and being able to verbally convince at the same time, this person is intending to uplift the other person materially, morally, emotionally or spiritually. For high probability in succeeding compassionate criticism, the critic has to be in some kind of healthy personal relationship with the other one, which is normally a parent to child, friend to friend, teacher to student, spouse to spouse or any kind of recognized authority in specific field. Hence the word constructive is used so that something is created or visible outcome generated rather than the opposite. Participatory learning in pedagogy is based on these principles of constructive criticism, focusing on positive examples to be emulated over precepts to be followed.*

which after reading your posts, you clearly have not gave any other than derogative remarks and accusations.

I agree, however as Beenn is a new member and clearly wants to learn, a bombardment of abuse could of led to him not bothering, going somewhere else, thinking that this forum is for elitists and very hostile.

I agree that we should have no eyesores on our wonderful countryside, however it was private land and he had permission, therefore he could have left it there but he chose not to.

Yes we are all adults and criticism is wanted by everyone, however its the way we say it. If you genuinly wanted to advise and help, then your post's would have reflected it.

I may only have a small post count, compared to you Martyn, but i always try to be helpful and offer advice if needed.

ATB

well said THAT man;)

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Get on? Yes. End the thread? No. I would rather it was allowed to run.

The OP started by showing us what he was doing and asking how it could be improved.

We have put some Ideas to start him on that improvement and I would like to wait and see what his next photos look like and see if we can help him further.

If this thread is locked, he may not start another on the same subject.

That would be a major loss to any others who are starting out who would gain from seeing the results of his work.

People who are prepared to post, take advice and post again dont appear every day.

I believe we should nurture them.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
what an ausome guy you must be ben cos u my mate can hold your head high cos as has been said you have taken the harsh crit and acted on it in a manner that is trully respectable and i salute u mate cos i know if it had been me i would ave Pi*(( off straight away never to return
but this forum is as i and many will testify what i say really is the best around thanks for sharing

drew

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Have a look at this site for semi permanent camp, four parts i think..

http://wn.com/WEZO24522164

Ally

Are those yours? I've seen those before - great skills that guy has - love his use of zip ties - rather the point he makes about lots of little weak knots made into a lattice make for a big strong structure. That really struck home. I've often wondered how strong something like that would be if it was tied together with dental floss, cotton thread or fishing line etc?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
what an ausome guy you must be ben cos u my mate can hold your head high cos as has been said you have taken the harsh crit and acted on it in a manner that is trully respectable and i salute u mate cos i know if it had been me i would ave Pi*(( off straight away never to return
but this forum is as i and many will testify what i say really is the best around thanks for sharing

drew

Thankyou very much:) Not everyone will agree on everything, its the way of life. I have learnt now and also got a new tarp in the post :D

All the best, Ben :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I like this, it's an honest attempt at a camp, i'm sure it'll get better too and i bet its fun there. don't slate it just because its basic, enjoy it for what it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE