Semi-permanent Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Beenn

I picked up a 2.7m x 3m 240gsm green poly tarp. It was a bit more than £5, but if you want it, its yours for that price.

Its got eyelets sewn in.

If you dont want it, Ive a pile of canoe bits that will benefit, so no worries either way.

Ive pmd you. If you pm me your address...

Looking forward to seeing your camp with its new bits!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Before I went to my first meet I thought people might steal my gear if I turned my back. When I got there and saw how crap my stuff was it made me laugh. Nobody looked down on it though and this month will be my 3 year anniversary at Rough Close. Good times all round, get out there and enjoy it. As Simon D said it's a chance to hang out without fear of being chased 'orf moi laaand' in the middle of the night...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
slight addendum, i was given a girls name as my nickname :)

I suppose the lesson learnt is to come with your own nickname that people might want to use but isn't too bad for you. I will have to get my thinking cap on with that one. I don't suppose Tall Paul would do.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I will eventually attend a meet one day!
I have Pm'd you back No Idea, thankyou :)

Today I went for a wander and found a little bit of land which has a clearing and some trees so i am going to see if anyone owns it, its close to a farmers field but all his land is surrounded with gates and i didnt cross any gates, Also there is a stream there which runs into the river, looks a nice place! :)

Next time im out i will try to take photos :D Thanks all

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
put brain in gear before opening mouth im not happy with some of the comments posted on here some times people should read the post (twice ) before making negative comments after all we all started somewhere just my personel opinion regards dave

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thankyou Dave, I take responsibility for not giving alot of infomation, but i did say i did not cut any live trees and some people said i did and it was wrong.. I appreciate peoples comments as it helps me learn :)
Im far from perfect, i'm just trying to learn my fair share and have fun at the same time :D

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
I suppose the lesson learnt is to come with your own nickname that people might want to use but isn't too bad for you. I will have to get my thinking cap on with that one. I don't suppose Tall Paul would do.

doesn't work like that buddy. a nickname has to be given unfortunately, i take it as a sign of affection tho :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
"Seems to me Beenn is more legal than a lot of us who kip in the outdoors without landowner's permission. Perhaps a certain amount of jumping to conclusions." - My full comment

Didn't he say it was next to allotments not on the allotments? He also said he was screening it off from the allotments. Not all land next to allotments are also owned by local authorities. Its not unfair to assume that since his first post described it as his semi-permanent camp he had landowner's permission as much as it is to assume he hadn't. The fact he was clearing it up was positive too. I'm not saying you were but some were quite harsh without properly reading what he was saying or asking for clarification before condemning him. At least he had permission to be their I never do on my wildcamps and I am sure not everyone else does neither.

Paul, he could say he has a phone call from the Queen giving him permission and non of us would be in a position to call him on it. This is the internet, a certain amount of scepticism is healthy. All I know is what I see in the picture and that is something that looks like a vagrants dosshole made from carpets and sticks, 30 yards from some fencing. He says the fencing is part of allotments, OK fair enough. But almost all allotments in this country are owned and managed by local authorities, which means they are provided for community use in or near residential areas. Even if the land next to it, is actually private greenbelt, and even if the owner has agreed to allow his camp, that doesnt make it legal. Even private land has to have local authority permission for whatever it's used for, that includes camping - and lets not even go into the issue of public liability insurance. Further, even if it is private greenbelt ...and he has the owners permission ...and it has local authority permission ...and the owner has public liability insurance, that still doesnt make it right, because it still looks like a tramps dosshole made from carpet and sticks, somewhere that has public access, 30 yards from a residential area. Even if he is cleaning up other peoples rubbish, he still left the carpet there strung up in his shelter next to his firepit. I'm not trying to rag on the fella, but it aint good no matter how you paint it. It's the wrong place to camp and leaving a camp set up like that anywhere that has public access, is the wrong thing to do. Period!

Last edited:

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
I hope uv learnt a few things been. I certainly have! Natural all the way!! Get naked and love thy holy trees!! Get rid of the carpet and get some screens up you'll be laughing!!

mobile bcuk through tapatalk

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The shelter has been removed as i said in earlier posts and i am getting a tarp :D
I am no longer using the area but the land is privatly owned, I wouldnt class the alotment as a residential area because there are no houses.
I wouldnt say it looks like a 'tramps dosshole' but thats my opinion and you are welcome to yours, The camp is now cleared.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Hi Beenn,

Its a shame that after such negativity that you have received, you are having to give up such a quaint place.

For your camp to be reffered to as a "tramps dosshole" is an opinoin which everyone has a right to, however i was always brought up with "if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say it at all"

I always find constructive criticism to be the best the way to give your opinion than out and out badgering.

Well i hope you find new pastures, and i hope, you care to share with us again (hopefully with out the negativity)

Still in for the :grouphug: carly :D

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I dont mind the bad comments, its just peoples opinions, im glad to find out the carpet would rot as i thought the bottom wouldnt.
The shelter was made from the items i could find, i didnt want to cut down trees and the trees that were already cut were too weak for a shelter or too heavy/thick, I have found a nice campspot which also has a stream but im not sure on who owns this land ect... but im willing to take the risk for a good night camping :D it nis also more isolated.
Im sure theres more serious crimes the police have to deal with than camping and clearing up after yourself... :)

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Snarf +1.

On the positive side, your tarp is in the post and should be with you in a day or so.

Not quite sure the best way to use one for ground dwelling. Not something I do. Ask if you need a tutorial, as I know lots on here do.

If you are going to be camping without actually getting permission, you might want to use a hobo or better still, an alchohol stove as this doesnt smoke and is less likely to attract attention and visits from the Police - like I had a couple of weeks ago, or even the Fire Brigade.

Not sure if you have seen the tutorials on here, but you can build a really good little stove out of two coke type cans, a pair of scissors, a pair of pliers, and a needle.

Is there anything else you need advice on?

Have you worked out which moot you are going to? When you go I want to know what its like as I havent been.

Have you got any more pics you can share?

Loved the ones so far.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thankyou No Idea:D
I have a new post in 'out and about' from a walk today, found a nice little place:)
im not too worried about police as they would have a 2 mile walk to come and get me... im more worried of farmers, but i make sure i tidy up after myself and stay away from any animals so they have no reason to complain :)

I have a hobo stove, just a utensil drainer one but it works well, I use it in the summer as i like a fire in the winter, I also have a hexi stove which i like :D

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Makes you wonder if one would want to be involved with some on here.

Beenn you should hold your head up high as you have conducted your self well through the criticism (not sure if I would of done the same). You have taken on board what peeps have said and acted on it , and it seems to me that you generally did not realise you was going in the wrong direction with your camp.

I would of thought from some of your posts people would move on from your initial semi-permanent camp, and do the same as some others and give you some help and guidance as it is obvious you take on constructive criticism.

You crack on mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE