Second Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Well the second bardster knife has come off the production line! After a few false starts and some excellent help from those fellows over on british blades, I am reasonably happy with the result! Unfortunately the shape seems to have wandered a little bit but it still feels comfortable in my hand. Ignore the knot :) - I ordered a replacement after damaging this one but it turned up drilled way offline so need to get a new one.
Cant wait for the new blades I have ordered so I can make some more :D

Its a Bruslletto Granbit Blade with Factory Nickel Silver Spor, Hull and Knot. The handle is ebony and Oak with dark red leather spacers.

granbit5.jpg

granbit6.jpg

granbit7.jpg

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
After seeing someone elses version of this knife I Decided I wasnt really happy with the fit and finish so I scrapped the handle and started again. Full project details can be seen over on british blades but here's the final result.
granbit16.jpg

granbit17.jpg
granbit18.jpg

a much better result and the ferrules fit properly. Handle shape came out a lot better too.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fantastic. That must be the top grade of curly birch? The grain is very attractive.

I hava a homemade Brusletto and am most impressed with the blade. Is it laminated?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Doc said:
Fantastic. That must be the top grade of curly birch? The grain is very attractive.

I hava a homemade Brusletto and am most impressed with the blade. Is it laminated?

I think it was super rather than extreme - the block didn't look as good as this.. I think i got lucky and the best grain was hidden until i exposed it.
As far as i know the granbit brusletto blades are stainless and are not laminated.
Some of their other blade blanks are laminated - more info here http://www.brusletto.no/

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Very nice bardster. For anyone interested there is another 'Different Ideas' knife making tutorial starting in a couple of days on British Blades. Ask Dave Barker if you're interested.

Link here

There are a few of us from BCUK doing it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE