second hand camera, odd water pic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Recently got a second hand camera, a Canon Powershot A400. Was out playing with it today and ended up with the pic below and not really too sure how I got it. It was on manual mode and on macro, other than that I didn't do anything. I like how the water seems to look like jelly or seems to mould over the rocks. I like it, but would really like to know from people who know about such things, how it happened or why etc. In the original pic, which is quite a bit bigger than that below, it looks more impressive, honest.. :D

oddwater.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not that I'm an expert in these things but I do dabble in photos using different settings for the same shot. But I would say that a fast shutter speed was the thing that nailed this picture for you. Try it on the sports setting (sometimes has a golfer as the little icon) and see if you can replicate it that way.

I'm more than willing to have my suggestion corrected by those who know better about such things.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Your shutter speed was 1/200th of a second which with a 5.9mm lens was enough to freeze the water as a wave came close to the camera.

The alternative would have been to use a slower speed to render the water in more motion.

Both are equally valid ways of depicting water, you just have to take you pick which you like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE