Scottish Meet Up!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
hi all. just got back. had a great time. i now knoiw how to carve a spoon and will keep trying untill i get it right. thanks to evreyone who organised it and i hope to see you all at the next one.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fantastic weekend - every bit as good as the last one. I envy those of you who are still there as I write this, about to start Monday morning surgery. Grrrr.

My boys Ross and Andrew had a blast, and Ross is continually talking about the monster pike he caught. It was good to meet a lot of new faces, and the only problem was the same as the last meet - too much to do/learn and too little time. I seemed to spend the whole weekend holding either a paddle, a bow, an axe or a rod.

Thanks to John for his hard work organising it all.

Now, when's the next one......?

Bowser

Jun 10, 2004
Edinburgh
www.britishblades.com
It was great to meet you all, learnt some great stuff. Got a huge mental list of kit that I now want.......

Thanks to everyone, thanks John for organising it.

Looking forward to the next one already.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Real nice to meet you all, that was a great weekend. :D Couldn't imagine a better location.

I'm off to make up a leatherworking shopping list. Got the bug bad on the sheath table and seeing Wayland's collection of pouches, etc reinforced it too. Spent last night after getting back tidying up the sheath, checking out quiver designs and sourcing suppliers. Guess I've got a new hobby. :rolleyes:
Shame about the bow building, especialy with Eric bringing up a full workshop. Lesson learned though: pre-book a stave next time. :)

Big Geordie, was it you that wanted the knotwork designs?(I lost track of a lot of names over the weekend) Drop me an email and I'll send them along.
joshgrooveski@aol.com

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Well, what to say...... John, a huge thanks for making the meet possible, and another huge thanks for the hammocks, your efforts are really appreciated. It was great to meet others with the same interests and to put faces to names. As a relatively new member and a novice, i'd just like to say to other newbies that are maybe wondering if one of these meets would be a good thing to do, get yourself along to the next one as you are made to feel very welcome and even when you ask the most stupid questions, they are simply answered with none of the embarrasment you might have thought might be there. Eric's leather work was an inspiration, as was Wayland's antler work, as was the mushroom / fungi picking and identification. Many thanks to Graham (i think that was your name :eek: )who showed me how to really sharpen my pukko, even though it needed so much work :eek: To everyone else, thanks for your friendliness and when is the next one?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That was one of the most enjoyable weekends I've spent that didn't have sex involved :D .

I drove back non stop and got home at ten o'clock. I was tired and still buzzing at the same time - wierd sensation. Anyway, thanks to all of you for your excellent company, and for confirming that I'm not the only one who likes sharp toys, creeping around in the woods and living fairly rough through choice.

I unloaded the van about an hour ago and have been sitting admiring the new stuff I got. I'll go and play with them later - nah! on second thoughts I'm away to play with them right now.
Great fun and I can't wait till the next one. Are we having a winter meet and doing debris shelter building?

Eric

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks to John and all for a really good weekend, Jack and I enjoyed the whole time, seeing the fishing masters at work (2 casts, 2 fish) and many skills being demonstrated in a great setting. Jack now wants a canoe... :eek:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, just back. A big thanks to all for making it a memorable weekend, and to Eric and Gary for sharing their wealth of knowledge, and to John, cheers guys.

Oh bye the way i think at the next meet we should maybe have a few more eggs & spuds as it seems there was,nt really enough to go around :eek:

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Great fun had by all, cheers john. Kids were so shattered that they looked like a couple of zombies in the car on the way back. Got a few antlers on the way back and will sacrifising a few screw drivers to start engraving them.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Originaly posted by Scout
does any one know were you can get those inflatble conoes as my mam says i can get one if save up
We picked those up on ebay, I don't know if other places have them. A pleasant guy in liverpool I think(didn't hang onto any details) had imported a dozen and was selling them out.
Different place, same price(although this one doesn't mention a paddle or pump).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

If you go for any other make/model, make sure it has a fixed rudder(or at least a rudder fixing, and even then I couldn't tell you how they feel, I've never tried one)!

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Ditto to everything!

And we had a TV star among us: Wayland! He was on TV this evening making a egg dish in his roman kitchen.

And I didn't say that the chicken was ready...

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just getting back up to speed.

There is good and bad news for those who left on Sunday. The good news is that after breakfast this morning it started raining and still is. So the full time we were breaking camp it was lashing down. By the time the last three left (Graham, James and Myself) we were soaked through.

The bad news. Last night and this morning was a blast. Imagine eight bushcrafters trying to roast two chickens on a spit while Tommy trys to convince us that raw venison burgers taste better.

Or another from this morning. Picture the scene. Graham_S is lighting his Kelly Kettle and has gone past the natural tinder stage. He has tried meths but after the initial burn the wood has not caught, however, unknown to him, or us, he has got the kettle to just under the flash point for meths. So the bold Graham adds more meths. Then he strikes his fero rod into the kettle. There is a loud WHOOSH a bright flash, with flames shooting out the kettle followed by Graham saying "Cool" and grinning like a cheshire cat.

Of course compared to some of the night scenes from the night before this seemed relatively normal.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
And the venison burgers were rare, not raw. :p
And Grahams atempt to blow up his volcano kettle was indeed cool! "Don't try this at home kids, I'm a professional"

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm sorry to have missed Graham's demonstration. Not many people can turn a humble cooking instrument into a flamethrower. By the way, thanks Graham for teaching the kids on Sunday morning.

Also thanks for the Fungi talk (was that Josh?), to Wayland for lots of info on Nordic culture, John for the hammock tutorial, John and Andrew for the canoe instruction, Matt for a very handy bit of plantlore, Eric for the kids certificates, Troy's Jack for being such a keen learner on the art of angling, and to the archer (Scott?) who let me try his Samick field bow,.......jings, thanks to everybody for everything. It was a wonderful, wonderful weekend, and the camaraderie and cohesiveness of the group was excellent.

Any news on JFW, anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE