Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Think I might head up that way for a wee overnighter tomorrow. :D

Looks like it'll be cold and clear so should be fantastic. If you are at the head of the loch keep your eyes peeled for Barn Owls. I saw one quartering the ground around about here just before Christmas.

It was magical - the sky was clear, dusk was fast approaching with the top of Ben Starav bathed in a golden light. It was the kind of cold that feels as though it's purifying your lungs as you breath it in. The frost was just starting to form on the grass. Everything was still - not a breath of wind and no one around - the loch was like a mirror. Just as the sun set this ghostly owl was flying silently back and for across the machair in the shadow of the mountains.

I sat spell bound for about 45 mins watching it till it got to dark to follow. When I arrived there were loads of cars lining the road where the route up Ben Starav starts - but as I saw the last few headtorches coming off the mountain the cars slowly disappeared and I felt I had the place to myself! :D :) !

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Lucy
Etive slabs are on Beinn Trillieachan at the north end of the Loch only about a Km from the end of the public road.
Im not sure if you are aware but the Etive Slabs are quite a hard climbing area. As far as I can remember all the routes are VS and above and multi pitch VS's at that.
Please feel free to tell me to wind my neck in if you are climbing at that grade and knew that anyway!
Dont forget lots of good hill bashing and scrambling here too!

Yes, I did know that - but thank you for warning me :)

Think I might head up that way for a wee overnighter tomorrow. :D

Looks like it'll be cold and clear so should be fantastic. If you are at the head of the loch keep your eyes peeled for Barn Owls. I saw one quartering the ground around about here just before Christmas.

It was magical - the sky was clear, dusk was fast approaching with the top of Ben Starav bathed in a golden light. It was the kind of cold that feels as though it's purifying your lungs as you breath it in. The frost was just starting to form on the grass. Everything was still - not a breath of wind and no one around - the loch was like a mirror. Just as the sun set this ghostly owl was flying silently back and for across the machair in the shadow of the mountains.

I sat spell bound for about 45 mins watching it till it got to dark to follow. When I arrived there were loads of cars lining the road where the route up Ben Starav starts - but as I saw the last few headtorches coming off the mountain the cars slowly disappeared and I felt I had the place to myself! :D :) !

I hate you both!! :p

I did email one of the boat companies, and they said they could drop us where we needed to be.. :eek:
Now I have to convince everyone to pay the £70 in all it takes to get up there..

Since we're on the subject of Scotland - I'm in the midst of choosing universites at the moment, and think I'm gunna apply to both St Andrews and Edinburgh (although I don't hold much hope for getting into Edinburgh!) - which has the best access to some good lochs, climbing, wildernessy jazz?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Since we're on the subject of Scotland - I'm in the midst of choosing universites at the moment, and think I'm gunna apply to both St Andrews and Edinburgh (although I don't hold much hope for getting into Edinburgh!) - which has the best access to some good lochs, climbing, wildernessy jazz?

........ Aberdeen Uni :D ! Not that I'm biased ....... having gone there myself:rolleyes: :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
:nana:

St Andrews vs Edinburgh, they're both about the same as far as access to the outdoors goes, though Edinburgh probably has the better travel options.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
St Andrews is near Tentsmuir forest (Coastal FC forest of Corsican Pine), and not too far from the Perthshire highlands.

There are hills around Edinburgh but not really in the same league, IMHO.

I studied at Aberdeen ('Aberdeen - Gaelic for hypothermia') which has some good hill country within a reasonable drive, but not great without a car. I spent much of my last year on attachment to the hospital in Inverness.

Inverness, according to the surveys, is the best place to live in Scotland and for the outdoorsman/woman this may well be true. Unfortunately it doesn't have an ancient university.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I studied at Aberdeen ('Aberdeen - Gaelic for hypothermia') which has some good hill country within a reasonable drive, but not great without a car.

True. I had a car which made life a lot easier. Alternatively there is also the AU Lairig Club who organise regular trips to the hills as does the UOTC.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Aberdeen does look awesome - it's not an option unfortunately :(
BUT I would have my car up there if I went to St Andrews, so I guess I would be able to get to places quite easily.. Hopefully there'd be more like-minded people in Scotland than where I am now, too..

Edit: Wouldn't mind joining that Lairig club though.. Those guys don't look too er.. unfit :rolleyes:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I know its not for everyone, but as Beer Monster mentions, the OTC is well worth considering as you get a lot of 'adventure training'. I spent six years camping/shooting/hillwalking/boating/flying/blowing things up/playing radios etc with Aberdeen OTC and got paid for it, as well as having the best friends anyone could wish for, and access to the cheapest bar in the city. And a nice kilt.

Group B Territorial, so you are subject to military law on duty, but there is normally no call-up liability.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I'm considering taking a year away to go to alaska/canada for a bit and hone my skills. St andrews is my best offer, rejected from every english uni i applied to. Studying various combinations of chem, physics and engineering. You?

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
I'm considering taking a year away to go to alaska/canada for a bit and hone my skills. St andrews is my best offer, rejected from every english uni i applied to. Studying various combinations of chem, physics and engineering. You?

It's a good uni - no. 6 I think?
Thinking either History or Classics at the moment - undecided at the moment :rolleyes:

I know its not for everyone, but as Beer Monster mentions, the OTC is well worth considering as you get a lot of 'adventure training'. I spent six years camping/shooting/hillwalking/boating/flying/blowing things up/playing radios etc with Aberdeen OTC and got paid for it, as well as having the best friends anyone could wish for, and access to the cheapest bar in the city. And a nice kilt.

Group B Territorial, so you are subject to military law on duty, but there is normally no call-up liability.

OTC? I'm guessing some sort of armyish thing :rolleyes: Although I do enjoy CCF..
So yeah, sorry - what is it?

Edit: Cancel that last - just reading about it - Officer Training Corps?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!

Yup it's definitely worth it. Many good friends made and some fantastic opportunities - outdoor training courses that give you recognised civilian qualification (summer mountain leader, winter mountain leader, rock climbing quals, kayaking quals, sailing etc) ....... and they pay you to do it!? ....... I thought it was a good deal anyway.

Oh and like the good Doc said ..... you get to blow stuff up too :red: .

It's a good uni - no. 6 I think?
Thinking either History or Classics at the moment - undecided at the moment :rolleyes:

OTC? I'm guessing some sort of armyish thing :rolleyes: Although I do enjoy CCF..
So yeah, sorry - what is it?

Edit: Cancel that last - just reading about it - Officer Training Corps?

That's the one. Have a look at them when you go to your freshers fair.

Oh and of St Andrews and Edinburgh I'd go for St Andrews. Its smaller and in my personal opinion seemed a bit friendlier. I'd still go for Aberdeen though ....... :p :lmao:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If you've enjoyed CCF the OTC is much the same, but about eighteen times better.

At Aberdeen OTC anyway, there were more applicants for appointment as officer cadet than there were places. There was a competitive selection weekend after Freshers Week. Service in the CCF or other cadet forces was viewed favourably.

Did I mention that you get to blow things up?

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
If you've enjoyed CCF the OTC is much the same, but about eighteen times better.

At Aberdeen OTC anyway, there were more applicants for appointment as officer cadet than there were places. There was a competitive selection weekend after Freshers Week. Service in the CCF or other cadet forces was viewed favourably.

Did I mention that you get to blow things up?

Actually, yes you did :p You seem to like that part..
What else did you get to do? (we're kind of drifting off topic here, but oh well :p)
Did you do any like adventure training and stuff like that? In the CCF at the moment we get the opportunity of doing really cheap courses and stuff..

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
St Andrews always kinda seemed, to me at least, to treat arts subjects more importantly than sciences. Plus it's pretty much just students and tourists in the town, which can be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Another venue - Cairngorms

Derry Lodge and Bob Scott's bothy are good camping and bothy spots.

Then onto the Larig Ghru and more camping and hen Aviemore and train home ?

Some photos from Today, sunburning in the glen:rolleyes: .

100_0398.jpg

100_0401.jpg

100_0424.jpg

100_0422.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE