Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
LOL! There's always one :lmao:

That's a gorgeous spot you found there in your photos, how far down was that?

Only about 2 miles down from the head of the loch, and on the northern shore.

No shortage of driftwood. Only downside is the ground is a bit uneven so those with big tents may take some time finding a good spot. Of course, the other solution is the hammock.

Another good point is that many of the burns run gin-clear, instead of the usual peaty broon water.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Another good point is that many of the burns run gin-clear, instead of the usual peaty broon water.

Yeah, I noticed that on my recent trip up that way, filled my kettle from a stream running right down the side of the hill - perfect. :D

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Lucy
Have a look at the Loch Maree, Poolewe, Kinlochewe area. There's some classic mountain scenery here with lots of hills, single and multi-pitch crags and Loch Maree itself for the sailing.
Off the top of my head I can't think of an exact place to wild camp but there is I believe a campsite at the south east end of the loch. This area is along way north from where you are but only an hour from Inverness if you fly?
Get hold of a OS sheet 19 for a look. Ta Ed

Agreed, Gruinard Bay and Mungadale crags are amazing for climbing.

More on the climbing here www.wildwesttopos.com

Nick

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Well, after all that turns out we can't go by car - my friend will only just have passed her test and it's not really safe enough. Sigh - knew it was too good to be true..!

Anyway, we're considering the possibility of a flight to edinburgh, and a train from there to fort william, followed by a bus to loch etive.. So what I'm wondering now, is IS there a bus from there to loch etive?!

Also, how far away is the climbing from the loch? Is it an easy walk away? Because if we don't have a car, as much as my idealistic self loves the idea, others are unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, but I won't thank them for it..) more realistic, so we'd need definite bus access to and from Fort William, and a short distance to climbing from the loch - could anyone help me?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
"Freshwater loch fishing usually comes with a large ticket price".

even big freshwater lochs generally tend to be cheap, i.e £5 a day unless you're fishing some stocked place which isn't proper fishing.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
And BTW, I wish my friends were like you. We're the same age, but most of my friends just like hardcore rock climbing, or just getting wasted. Few people are interested in wild camping. It's great fun and I plan to be doing it alot more as I need to get fit if I'm gonna get to Alaska.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
And BTW, I wish my friends were like you. We're the same age, but most of my friends just like hardcore rock climbing, or just getting wasted. Few people are interested in wild camping. It's great fun and I plan to be doing it alot more as I need to get fit if I'm gonna get to Alaska.

Yeah I'm the same as you - they want to go for the climbing - I really enjoy it and would definitely want to do it when I was up there certainly - a great experience to be had by all means, and great fun, but my main objective is the wild camping and all things like that. The emphasis is different, but if it means I can do it, I will. But now it looks like I can't.. Unless these buses and climbing are ok, but I bet they'll still say no!

The thing is, most of my friends just say, let's just go to Dartmoor for climbing. But I want to include the full experience of wild camping, such as lighting fires and cooking over them, and camping in the woodland, which really can't be done on Dartmoor, although it is beautiful, all wooded areas I've come across are no-camping zones. For me, wild camping is being among the mountains and trees, and lochs.. with a fire.. and just being close to nature.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Anyway, we're considering the possibility of a flight to edinburgh, and a train from there to fort william, followed by a bus to loch etive.. So what I'm wondering now, is IS there a bus from there to loch etive?!

Also, how far away is the climbing from the loch? Is it an easy walk away? Because if we don't have a car, as much as my idealistic self loves the idea, others are unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, but I won't thank them for it..) more realistic, so we'd need definite bus access to and from Fort William, and a short distance to climbing from the loch - could anyone help me?

Sorry just spotted this post. You're better off flying to Glasgow and getting the train up towards Oban. The train stops at all the little stations along the way. You can get off at the Taynuilt Station go through the village towards the loch following the signs for the Bonawe Iron Furnace. You'll turn left off the road and go up a short steep hill to the Church and then turn right past the church and along the road to the suspension footbridge across the river which will take you to the Smokery. The track behind the smokery goes all the way along to the head of the Loch. Its a mettled track all the way to Ardmaddy but there after it turns into a footpath - shame you haven't got bikes with you as you could cycle most of the way before dumping the bikes at Ardmaddy and walking up Glen Kinglass.

........ forgot to add that its a bit of a walk - but stunning scenery and you can camp anywhere along the loch.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Awesome!!! Thank you!!
Alternately, is there some sort of ferry here? Probably not I'm guessing, but always worth inquiring!

....... not really. There is a boat (called the Mara) that leaves from that pier - however it just goes to the head of the loch on sightseeing trips - see here for details. In fact it goes right to the head of the loch - you can see the Trilleachan Slabs (rock climbing) as a photo on that website. As far as I'm aware there is a pier at the head of the loch here ...... might be worth asking the Mara (contact details on the right hand side of website) if they could drop you off/pick you up again ...... it would depend on the tide really? Alternatively you could give Taynuilt Boat Hire a call and I'm sure you could come to some agreement where by they would ferry you across the gap. (no connections with either company! :eek: )

I took this photo looking north east up the loch from the iron age fort on the east side. You can see a mussel farm and quarry and although its autumn you can still see what some of the patches of trees are like. Its also quite steep so hammocks might be in order.

IMG_1455.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Lucy
Etive slabs are on Beinn Trillieachan at the north end of the Loch only about a Km from the end of the public road.
Im not sure if you are aware but the Etive Slabs are quite a hard climbing area. As far as I can remember all the routes are VS and above and multi pitch VS's at that.
Please feel free to tell me to wind my neck in if you are climbing at that grade and knew that anyway!
Dont forget lots of good hill bashing and scrambling here too!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Transport
Ask the train to stop at Achnacloich stop. Just in the bend in the loch.

Climbing
Etive slabs do Spartan Slab, VS only at one move but you can pull on a small friend there.
I would suggest coastal camping as better transport and more likely to be rid of midges/windy.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE