Scafell Pike Routes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has any favourite routes up Scafell Pike? I haven't up it before so im hoping some of you may be able to e-mail me a route or two on memory map!
I have noticed theres a camp site near Wast Water with a path leading off from there, does anyone now it or any came site I can have a fire on?
Thanks for looking
Stan

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has any favourite routes up Scafell Pike? I haven't up it before so im hoping some of you may be able to e-mail me a route or two on memory map!
I have noticed theres a camp site near Wast Water with a path leading off from there, does anyone now it or any came site I can have a fire on?
Thanks for looking
Stan

it depends on how fit you are, took me and the wife about 2 hours,from the campsite we took the easy route, but was still quite hard going and many others fell by the wayside,i might be corrected but there's 2 routes from the campsite,we camped at boot where you can have fires,hope this helps

bernie

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
from the camp site there is 3 routes what i know of but most people use the main 2 ,if you dont mind a scrammble take the right fork both times if that makes sense .you are best using the route where you bear left at the second fork if you dont want to scramble.

The paths are very well worn and if you stick to them its quite an easy route..

The first fork is at about 400mtrs the second at about 800mtrs at a rough guestimate.

ps watch out for a big ram at the bottom of the hill just before the small footbridge he thinks hes tough!!!

and if youre lucky you may see a big dog or two roaming free up near the top

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
have to say i don't remember the 1st fork! Definitely remember the 2nd fork.

Went right on the way up so took the option of the scramble, MUCH more of a scramble than I thought it would be, we were on all 4's when it got steep. Mind you it was much better than the other route. We came down the slow route and it was terrible, just pouded your legs, the scramble meant you covered much more height in a short space of time.

Plus it really gave my other half a buzz which helped on the motivational front!

I would recommend a map/compass/gps. I took all three and didn't really need them, though it was nice to have it. The weather was superb but if it was bad then knowing which way to come down off the top would be a nightmare! I seriously regretted now having walking poles

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
have to say i don't remember the 1st fork! Definitely remember the 2nd fork.

Went right on the way up so took the option of the scramble, MUCH more of a scramble than I thought it would be, we were on all 4's when it got steep. Mind you it was much better than the other route. We came down the slow route and it was terrible, just pouded your legs, the scramble meant you covered much more height in a short space of time.

Plus it really gave my other half a buzz which helped on the motivational front!

I would recommend a map/compass/gps. I took all three and didn't really need them, though it was nice to have it. The weather was superb but if it was bad then knowing which way to come down off the top would be a nightmare! I seriously regretted now having walking poles
the first fork bears left straight up a very steep incline the path is hardly noticable cos no uses it much

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Well thats some great info, Cheers

We have planned to take the route with the scramble and yoy guy's have confirmed the route that i have plotted. I have walking poles, GPS, Compass but will need to get a OS map of the area.

Im going up at the end of March which is a little early for my liking but thats the only time my mates and I can all get the time off work at the same time. Fingers crossed the weather holds out for us!

I'm now going to have to get my act together and build a canoe for a trip on Wast Water, the UK's deapest lake! Should be a good weekend.

Stan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE