Ox Tongue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I picked up an Ox Tongue to cook.

I used to be made to eat this as a Child - it wasn't from memory unpleasant , that special place in hell was reserved for Tripe.

But neither did I remember being blown away by Tongue.

Before I go looking or narrowing down upon recipes has anyone got any recipes that they'd like to share for my Tongue?

Reactions: CLEM

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
How about a nice warming goulash?

I've had it similar to this before and I really thought it went well with the umami of the soy sauce:

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Put it in a pot and cover it with water. Bring it to the boil and then remove and pour off that first water.
Cook it, simmered in seasoned stock, skim well. Takes at least two and a half to three hours....if it's an older one it can take nearly five. The skin will start to slip off, that's when you know it's done. Peel off the skin, check there's no 'bone' tough tendony bit (depends on the age of the animal I think) remove if there is, and coil up the tongue pressing it into a round deep dish (you can use a pot) and pour a little of the jus over it. Put it aside to cool right down and firm up.
Remove from whatever you moulded it in, and slice thinly.
Serve cold.

That's pretty much all we ever did with tongue.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Used to have this for special occasions when I was a child too. Loved it. Usually done for Easter and sometimes just after Xmas.
From what I can remember it was pressure cooked and when done formed into a mold, as per Toddy above, and a house brick put on top of the covered meat to help firm it up.
I'll see if I can get the exact recipe tomorrow from my Mam as she still does it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I went south of the border for inspiration. ( Not Cornwall... )

Tacos Lengue - Beef Tongue Tacos.

Chipotle Mayo , Slices of Avocado ,Pepper , Boiled and braised Ox Tongue , Homegrown/made Tomatillo salsa verde sauce topped with dry fried onions. Chopped coriander to garnish.

A festival in the mouth.

Would DEFINTELY do these again and would make a great reheat picnic type dish to be heated and served al fresco.

Very yummy.

1706458063898.jpeg

1706458102298.jpeg

1706458135973.jpeg

1706458174943.jpeg

1706458363750.jpeg

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I went south of the border for inspiration. ( Not Cornwall... )

Tacos Lengue - Beef Tongue Tacos.

Chipotle Mayo , Slices of Avocado ,Pepper , Boiled and braised Ox Tongue , Homegrown/made Tomatillo salsa verde sauce topped with dry fried onions. Chopped coriander to garnish.

A festival in the mouth.

Would DEFINTELY do these again and would make a great reheat picnic type dish to be heated and served al fresco.

Very yummy.

View attachment 85125

View attachment 85126

View attachment 85127

View attachment 85128

View attachment 85129

Looks/sounds fantastic. Glad it turned out well.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My Nanna used to boil it up and in a sandwich it tasted nice with pickles.

Yeah - I do remember eating it as a child but seemingly like you it never took centre stage and there is as far as I can see no reason it shouldn't - its after all like tenderloin a big succulent piece of meat. Its not offal in the same way as liver or kidneys are but equally its not flesh used to move bone.

It does have a lovely taste when braised ( especially if its been brined in something of flavour ) and the texture isn't unpleasant - just different.

Reactions: Jonno70

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I really like a bit of ox tongue :)
One of the mistakes some people make with tongue, and other slow stew meats, is to salt the water/stock - that draws out the water from the meat and makes it dry ('O-level' chemistry) - always salt at the end (but, you probably already knew that - sorry).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I really like a bit of ox tongue :)
One of the mistakes some people make with tongue, and other slow stew meats, is to salt the water/stock - that draws out the water from the meat and makes it dry ('O-level' chemistry) - always salt at the end (but, you probably already knew that - sorry).

'O' level?!?!? Sorry bruv, not sure what that is.

I could guess what the O stands for however :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE