Fjallraven Trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Years ago I looked at their trousers in store and thought they looked amazing in that they're not like most outdoors trousers and they have wide take of fits. I also thought "how much?" So I've never thought about them much.

Since then I've kind of got annoyed by the way street trousers can come in a wide fit range but not outdoors trousers. I'm 6'5" tall and no main brands in UK outdoors shops fit me. I have to put up with compromised fit. That's where Fhallraven comes in, they will have my fit. I just do not know what type to get. Anyone know what each product suits?

I'm looking for something in the cooler but likely wet uk months. I've been in trousers only for about 2 weeks now, shorts until then. I want a pair for anything from day to day wear through to winter walks in the lakes plus working in the garden (currently dealing with two large trees we've dropped). Street to Scafell Pike if you like. Anyone know which Fjallraven trousers suit for that?

The other thing, I might be tempted to want to wear them all the time outside work. I don't think I can afford enough of them for that. So, are there any trousers that come close to Fjallraven trousers in fit options, design, durability, etc but a lot cheaper?

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Have a look at Revolution Race, they have numerous styles and fits (some similar to Fjallraven but cheaper).

Fjallraven do some in the range with a "RAW " leg length which may suite your size, I have the opposite problem (short leg) which both companies accommodate.

From Fjallraven I have the Vida pro ...... excellent all rounder
From Revolution Race I have the GP pro ...... another excellent all-rounder.

My Son in law has a few different pairs of RR including the jeans which he wears at school (he's a teacher not a student).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
They look good. Fully eynthetic fabrics not polycotton mixes like F are but look a good bargain.

One question, they look a little tight on their website photos. Are they tight or is the model big thighed? I don't like the craghoppers flappy trousers fit but I don't want really tight neither. I tend to like slim fit outdoors trousers.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Years ago I looked at their trousers in store and thought they looked amazing in that they're not like most outdoors trousers and they have wide take of fits. I also thought "how much?" So I've never thought about them much.

Since then I've kind of got annoyed by the way street trousers can come in a wide fit range but not outdoors trousers. I'm 6'5" tall and no main brands in UK outdoors shops fit me. I have to put up with compromised fit. That's where Fhallraven comes in, they will have my fit. I just do not know what type to get. Anyone know what each product suits?

I'm looking for something in the cooler but likely wet uk months. I've been in trousers only for about 2 weeks now, shorts until then. I want a pair for anything from day to day wear through to winter walks in the lakes plus working in the garden (currently dealing with two large trees we've dropped). Street to Scafell Pike if you like. Anyone know which Fjallraven trousers suit for that?

The other thing, I might be tempted to want to wear them all the time outside work. I don't think I can afford enough of them for that. So, are there any trousers that come close to Fjallraven trousers in fit options, design, durability, etc but a lot cheaper?
Fjällräven Vidda pro trousers for slower/less strenuous activities in colder weather or when you need more abrasion resistance.
Fjällräven Keb trousers for hiking, especially up and down mountains (more flexibility and cooler (- but still warm!))

Barents pro are similar to the Vidda pro ones but with raw length legs, if you don't want buttons and stuff around the ankles.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Barents pro are similar to the Vidda pro ones but with raw length legs, if you don't want buttons and stuff around the ankles.
If I could go back, I would change my Barents Pro for the Viddas, simply to get the zipped vents as they do indeed wear warm, especially if you wax them. I've since given up on waxing (no matter what I did, I always left a terrible finish!) and instead use NikWax Wax Cotton Proof spray.

They are cracking trousers, but I'm pleased I waited for a sale so as to not pay RRP, as I think they're not worth quite that much.

Reactions: SaraR

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
If I could go back, I would change my Barents Pro for the Viddas, simply to get the zipped vents as they do indeed wear warm, especially if you wax them. I've since given up on waxing (no matter what I did, I always left a terrible finish!) and instead use NikWax Wax Cotton Proof spray.

They are cracking trousers, but I'm pleased I waited for a sale so as to not pay RRP, as I think they're not worth quite that much.
I've just realised that Vidda Pros aren't ventilated - it's only the Vidda Pro Ventilated that are. I had no idea they were different models

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

Oh yes, vents are almost a must if you’re going to wear them in summer or shoulder seasons in the UK. I keep forgetting that my Keb ones have vents :) I do prefer the old school fabric of the Vidda ones and also use them for fieldwork, low-land stuff in the UK or around town when up on Svalbard, but for mountain hiking, the Keb ones are definitely better.

I actually never wax mine. I’ve been thinking that I should do the lower leg portions, but then never remember to do that when I have time. They keep off the wind and light rain regardless and are warm enough when wet that you don’t feel you need them waxed. That’s my experience anyway.

They are expensive, so hunting around for a discount is a good idea, but on the other hand, the only noticeable wear I’ve ever managed on a pair of G1000 fabric trousers has been in the groin /inseam area where ladies (and gents) seem prone to wear out trousers if they are carrying a bit of excess weight, and that was after a lot of use.

Reactions: hughtrimble

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've just realised that Vidda Pros aren't ventilated - it's only the Vidda Pro Ventilated that are. I had no idea they were different models
I looked at getting the Vida pro ventilated but they were an odd fit around the crotch. I ended up going for the non ventilated ones which fit perfectly. I've used them for a couple of years now and rate them very highly, but only for cool or cold weather.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
6'6" here and I have Vidda pros, well...one pair.

I love them, really comfy, heavy enough for additional warm, but I don't notice them.

Could probably use the next size up, they get a little snug when I sit down.

Have a friend who has the vented version, they seem great, especially on a warm day, he was unzipping his and I felt like mine were a sauna.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
For the ladies, there are two versions normal (straighter) and curvy, so it's worth trying on both and see what suits you best, although I can still wear the same size in either version.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Tried them just too much weight (seriously) for me. Prefer a montane, bear grylls survivor or lightweight cargo helikon. Especially when I fill the pockets up as well.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Tried them just too much weight (seriously) for me. Prefer a montane, bear grylls survivor or lightweight cargo helikon. Especially when I fill the pockets up as well.
I really like my Montane Terra (great spring/summer/early autumn walking tousers) and Montane Super Terra (colder walking and also outdoorsy work that's not so rough as to call for the Fjallraven Barents Pro). They are supremely comfortable.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got a terra but they're a little flappy around the lower parts. Not as bad as craghoppers but the Fjallraven ones look more shaped / tailored. Plus a little short. Why do widths from 32" up to a lot bigger waist have the same leg length? Iirc 33" max leg length once you get to 32" or so.

I used to get a pair of keela trousers. A 4 way stretch, close fitting pair of trousers long before 4 way stretch was even common in the top, most expensive brands! I stopped getting them iirc after the day to day running changed generations and they started to get their size quality right. I had a local shop who used to let me know when he got a new batch of them in with a mismatched size. Basically the leg length for any particular waist size could vary by about 4"!!!! The shop kept the long legs for me and short for others. The regular, true to size ones got put on the rail. Then I stopped getting the heads up and found out why when I visited the shop. Cheap enough too.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German and Austrian military tailors correctly for every existing size.
You can get the German ones from Leo Köhler or Anton Blöchel for example.
I know that Feuchter currently builts up a direkt sell internet shop, that's probably the best quality.

Austrian uniforms you find a lot on the surplus market.

I can't imagine that other armies do it much differently.

Different to Fjällräven trousers field uniforms are made to last as long as possible.

Compared to the FR prices you can also consider Bavrian custom made deer leather knickerbockers or long trousers that last a lifetime. If you search the internet you find the highly decorated expensive ones. Less decorated they are much cheaper of course.

Here just as an example what's also available in modern look.

Custom made you get what you want and it's worth the money. Just search the net for "Hirsch Lederhose Maßanfertigung" and you will find countless makers. It will cost you the equivalent of 3 to 5 FR trousers perhaps and you solved the problem for ever.

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Admittedly I didn't go down the military route because I have altberg boots, one of my packs is camouflage pattern and I for me personally I felt I'd run the risk of drawing attention to myself for being "that guy"....

So originally I went for some black cargos but they were a little too short for me, kinda OK with the boots, but not ideal.

The fjallraven trousers I got off a member on here and I was looking for them specifically because of the length that no one else seems to come close too...

As you said Paul, I can't stand that the world seems to end at 32" at best 33".

Reactions: Erbswurst

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I still miss the poor sizings quality Keela used to have. Seriously good trousers for tall ppl if you get lucky in the shop. When you hold two pairs up against each other of the same size you used to see up to 4" difference! They solved that issue but created a new one for me...nowhere to get cheap, good spec, good fit trousers for the outdoors!

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Vidda Pro Ventilated are the way to go. I pretty much live in mine these days. The vents and elasticated crotch are worth the extra cash, just be mindful of ya bawbag if crossing a barbed wire fence. Trust me on that!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Done worse. In my early climbing days I edged when I should have smeared and trusted my climbing shoes. Result I slipped on a shoulder with a flake. Being light but strong I held myself up by my arms until I could get a grip with my feet. Thought I'd got away with it as my trousers, keela softshell with 4 way stretch, was not holed. I got to the top and walked down with a moist feeling which I later found out to be a bit of blood where I was quite a lucky as I'd thought! :frown:

However I was very impressed at how tough the keela trousers were!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Load of rubbish those Vida pro’s..catch your toe nail on them lace hooks when putting on?
Catch your fingernail on the small thigh pocket button/stud when gushing your hand in to the hand warmer pockets, especially when the hands are cold?
Why no option for knee pads?
Get them wet & they take an age to dry.
They rip easy.
There expensive.
I now buy a make called Percussion bramble.. £30.00 & lasts an age.

• Haha
Reactions: Athos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE