SAS Smock opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Phil,

Thanks for the info, it's greately appreciated! You're quite right, sometimes a cotton type smock is very useful in the outdoors, sometimes more useful than gore-tex. A gore-tex PTFE laminate can be maxed out if you're really sweating and those are times when a cotton smock can be of great use. I miss my Ventile, I really do! If an SAS smock keeps out the wind and fends off those nasty drizzles because of a nikwax or grangers proofing, I wouldn't say it's such a bad piece of kit after all. (Hey, the SAS is the best so their kit probably is too!)

Cheers,

Adam

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I only tried my SASS smock on again this Sunday gone when doing a bit of target practice,Ive only worn it once during my last trip in the forests of Norway last summer and for a bit of shooting.Having untill recently worked shifts and weekends getting out and about was difficult so the smock has seen very very little use.Its as new really and since Ive given up the beer and got myself back in the gym over the last 7 months it really is too big for me.I think I will give SASS a call myself tomorow and get an order in for a new one,maybe as some one mentioned earlier they may now have OG ripstop material now,if so I shall order one of those with all the extras I have on the smock I have now!

Maybe sell the one I have now once I get my new one.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
SaSS are superb - so long as you are straight with them and tell them exactly what you want.

I have had three jackets off them - from the days ( at least 6 stone ago! ) when I had cause to go through near indestuctable gear. Theirs stood head and shoulders above anything else I could get my hands on.

My view now is much with Alchemy - quite possibly different reasons, I really dont want to wear DPM. My last SASS smock with para cuffs etc hangs in the wardrobe. Take testament that it is the only piece of DPM I haveny got rid of - because its so good. Not sure I can ever wear it again...

I loved the issue Cotton Gaberdine - just dont walk past a Hawthorn hedge!

With civilian focus firmly fixed, I have had single layer ventile Country Innovation jacket for the last 12-14 years - before the company had decided on a name.
It beats the smocks hands down - aside from pockets. The uffs are frayed, but it stands well still - with a two yearly dose of Cotton Proof!

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Just recieved my SASS smock today and its the smutts nuts. Everything I expected and some...........I know I dont need to say this as its been said a hundred times before (stu, dont give me a hard time for this) but SASS are a top company with an excellent product.

All the normal 'I have nothing to do with this company' stuff. Just wanted to have a gloat.

Cheers, Moko

B

bluemountaingunworks

Hello from the US,
I'm new to this site and have been intrigued be the content! I have decided to join and hopefully start some great dialogues from "across the pond".
The reason I'm writing this response is that I have two SAS smocks; one DPM and one Desert DPM. I have found that using Filson brand waterproofing wax has worked well. It must be retreated at least once a year, but really works out. If you can not acquire Filson brand products in the UK, I believe Barbour makes a similiar product.
To apply, I lay the can on the woodstove until the wax melts. Once melted, I use a cheap paintbrush to liberally coat the fabric. Once dry, it will be a little tacky until it gets broken in. Sometime midseason, I'll toss it in the drier to re-melt the wax and spread it around a little. This does leave a little residue on the lining of the drier, but it comes off with the next load.
Just figured I would share this info with anyone interested. I'm looking forward to chatting with you and please let me know if I can help you out in any way from here in the States. Take Care and God Bless! Jerry

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
In my experience the BDU and M65-clothes in black do not have the same
quality as the olive and camouflage ones. Since several years me and my
friends don´t use the black clothes any more. We think that dying the cotton
black weakens it. Maybe better to choose an olive smock.
Anybody made the same experience?

(The SASS team was very helpful, but they told me they do not make ventile smocks)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
They did a small run, and I was lucky enough to get a SAS smock and matching trousers in OG ventile, all in for £200 with all the extra bits. But then I am a flash git... ;)

I bought a black Alpha Industires M65 back in '93. Still got it. Still going strong after years of real abuse. Maybe you got a bad 'un?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Spacemonkey said:
They did a small run, and I was lucky enough to get a SAS smock and matching trousers in OG ventile, all in for £200 with all the extra bits. But then I am a flash git... ;)
Feeling a bit green me! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE