SAS Smock opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi Guys. I bought a used SAS smock when I was in the Army. Despite being tatty it is still an excellent piece of kit with an added map pocket and hood retainer (courtesy of my wife).
I dont wear it outside now I am a Civvy because I dont generally like to wear DPM for many reasons.
Anyway. I have tried to dye it OG but I couldnt remove the original DPM to make it work. It looks like I will need to sell some cutlery and buy one!

I will try and keep this brief. What I am really after are honest opinions of those who own these smocks.

Firstly, I really like the cotton gabardine. Lightweight, windproof and very comfortable. My only reservation is that it rips too easily. Mine has never ripped but it is frayed and worn. I have seen that SASSkit do a cotton gabardine with a 6% ripstop weave. Is this still a comfortable fabric or is it a bit Soldier 95 cardboard? Does the ripstop really make a difference?

Secondly, I have noticed that SASSkit do this 6% material in black but not OG. Does anyone know anywhere else that does it in OG?

Finally, Arktis do a ripstop windproof SAS type smock but from the description on the net it sounds like it has a ripstop outer and a pertex inner. This sounds very different to the simple single layer of cotton on authentic SAS smocks. Is this the case? I always favour the simple and cooler version.

I dont want to revisit too much old stuff and I hope I have asked specific questions. I have been through the vast amounts of old posts on the subject.

If I had my own way I would order an OG ripstop version from SASSkit with a few extras. But at 120 ish quid. Ouch.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I got the SASS OG smock and it's great. Not ripstop though, and to be honest, maybe I'd prefer it was, but it's fine for me. It is water resistant, but that type of fine drizzle that soaks everything, gets through in no time. Dries out really quick though. I'm going to try and use a fleurocarbon coating to proof it a bit better. Oh, and they do a quite baggy cut for the size. If you prefer something a little more snug, then order a size smaller.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You could always dye your DPM smock black.....I've seen a few done like this and the pattern doesn't show as black is the darkest colour in DPM.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
bambodoggy said:
You could always dye your DPM smock black.....I've seen a few done like this and the pattern doesn't show as black is the darkest colour in DPM.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

I had thought of that. Not being too picky but black just isnt my colour. Green suits my complexion better.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I was after an OG smock from SASS Kit about 18 months ago. At the time they had no OG material with which to make the jacket, they have to rely on spare material from runs of fabric from big military orders being sent through to them by the supplier IIRC.

In the end I ordered a black one, as I thought I could use that for work too and not look too jungly.

It's been fine. Keeps the wind off. Plently of pocket room. The ripstop works. Sheds water reasonably well, but I got the goretex liner to go with it just to be on the safe side. In colder weather I wear my Swannie underneath and I'm always nice and toastie. In the warmer early spring weather, with just a normal shirt on underneath it's quite cool too.

Only two down sides for me.
1: As it is quite generous, the sleeves tend to snag on my bow string when I use it for archery. Could be my bad technique of course, but it is quite a baggy fit, anyway, an old sock with the toe cut out slipped up over the arm sorted that out.

2: Velcor fastening of the storm flap over the zip. I would have preferred buttons and will try to convert mine to buttons this year. I find it a bit noisy when in the woods and trying to watch wildlife etc when wanting to undo coat etc. Plus the knitted cuffs I have get snagged up on the velcro at the top where I don't always have the jacket fully done up.

The chap from SASS did call me back about 6 months later saying he had a delivery of OG due in and was I interested in another, so they are keen to help where they can. He was also thinking about doing ventile jackets too if he could see there was a demand. maybe you could call them and see if they do OG ripstop, or see if they can get hold of it.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have a sass smock myself in OG and I have to say its a first class piece of kit from a first class company,they are very helpfull.Thinking of getting another,would be great if the next was ripstop Og material this time.They do come up very generous size wise,mine could do with being a little smaller now as I am both lighter/smaller and fitter since when I bought my first smock.Fancy a group buy! :)

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
I bought a new one from Strikeforce supplies just before my fundamental bushcraft course.

I know there's a whole discussion topic about DPM/not DPM etc, but basically I'm just not bothered. :p

The jacket itself is great, but it IS a question of what you'll be using it for. It certainly isn't waterproof, although you could treat it with the relevant NikWax product to keep most of the elements out. Sizes are a bit odd - I ended up having to send the first order back and went for a 180/96 (I'm just over 6 foot with a 44 inch chest). :bluThinki

Plus points:-

Pockets - tonnes of them and very useful
Comfort - lets you breath without sweating your bits off
windproofness - yes, it certainly cuts out 80-90% of the weather
toughness - looks like it would take a fair amount of abuse and not disintergrate like other "technical" jackets might, and fairs well in front of a fire!

Downsides:-

WEIGHT - can't stress this enough - compared to some technical jackets such as MacPacs Cloud Forest jacket, it weighs a tonne.
Compactness - if you're on a trip and don't want/need to wear it (although you'll find you're constantly missing your pockets when you dont!) it doesn't store well inasmuch that it doesn't really compact (even less when it's full of gear!).

Colour - if it's an issue (it's not for me).

Water logging - I haven't tested the theory, but I suspect if this jacket got really wet, it would take an age to dry out, so it would take a bit longer than ventile, although having said that, used in conjunction with the goretex jacket (which is EXTREMELY light weight and packable) you won't find out unless you're crossing a river or something similar.

I use mine in conjunction with a goretex jacket in the complimenting design, which works REALLY well in inclement conditions, as there are zips that allow access to one or two main pockets on the jacket.

During my bushcraft week it rained almost every day, and honestly I think I took the jacket off for about 4 hours in the whole week, other than when sleeping. I really got on with mine and found it to be well designed for what I wanted when out in the wilds, although if I was doing something more demanding like walking up Snowdon, it's lack of wicking and breathable waterproofness would put it below other more focussed items of clothing.

I hope the above is of assistance! :D

Phil

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks for that Phil - very interesting...

One question though.
You say you use it in conjunction with a goretex jacket which is better in terms of pacability and weatherproofing, why not just use the goretex on it's rather than have 2 jackets?
I suppose I'm asking what does does this jacket bring that outweighs the use of goretex all the time?

Cheers

Mark

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Simple...The standard issue army goretex has no pockets! It's just a shell!! I think this is more to do with the way the army has designed the kit than anything else. It also keeps the likelihood of leaks to a minimum, as there are only a limited number of seals.

In addition, whilst goretex does breath, it's not the same as a totally permeable item of clothing for allowing moisture to escape.

I find it to be an excellent complimenting item of kit in addition to the Smock.

Cheers,

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE