Sankey Trailers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Any ideas where I can get a Sankey Trailer from? I'm in West Wales so hopefully not too far.

I need something tough to haul logs etc as well as the gear for the Moots :rolleyes: ;)

Any help much appreciated :D

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I nearly bought a little Sankey trailer to go behind my Defender, but did some research and came up with the following reasons not to: :deal:

Sankey trailers generally have fixed tailgates and are useless for forestry work as logs have to be lifted over the high fixed sides rather than slid through the tailgate opening. The bodies are mild steel and tend to rot where water collects at the front of the body. As well as having a NATO ring hitch which won't work with any 50mm ball hitches or most civilian pin hitches, they also have NATO spec electrics which aren't compatible with a civilian Land Rover's standard seven pin lighting socket. Also, like most non owner operated equipment, the ex military trailers I saw were all showing signs of overloading and general abuse. :(

Unless you can get an immaculate one really cheaply, I'd recommend buying an Ifor Williams equivalent with drop tail and galvanised body instead. They do a nice 8'x4' model on Land Rover wheels with similar track to a One Ten. They're expensive, but they hold their value well, so you should get most of your money back when the time comes to sell. :)

If you're determined to get a military trailer, you could try TRS in Porth (only an hour and a half's drive from you but notoriously expensive) or www.anchorsupplies.com in Derbyshire.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for that mate, through today I've come up with basically the same thoughts, everyone I’ve spoken to that knows something has said to go for one of the Ifor trailers....They must be doing something right!

So now I'm thinking of a 8x4 twin axle :rolleyes: But heck, the price is huge!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Tony said:
Thanks for that mate, through today I've come up with basically the same thoughts, everyone I’ve spoken to that knows something has said to go for one of the Ifor trailers....They must be doing something right!

So now I'm thinking of a 8x4 twin axle :rolleyes: But heck, the price is huge!

If you get a secondhand Ifor make sure the chassis number is intact - there are a lot of moody ones about. Consensus seems to be that secondhand ones aren't worth the risk - they hold their value so well you may as well get a new one built to your precise spec. Could you offset the cost of the trailer against the BCUK tax bill? :confused:

Having rejected a Sankey, I ended up with an old 9x5 Rice twin axle fixed side plant trailer with a full width loading ramp on Ifor style leaf suspension and 16" Land Rover wheels. Bargain @ £200 from the local Free Ads paper. I was tempted by an Ifor, but I wouldn't sleep at night with £1500 worth of trailer parked outside. :eek:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Tony your only an hour or so from place bursting at the seems with Ifor Wiliams trailers all shapes and sizes.. i think the village is called Talgarth but it looks like a trailor superstore!

anyway you landy will feel naked driving round wales with out an Ifor Wiliams trailor as it will be the only one ;)

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Tony, I was talking to Steve at Foundry 4x4 in Tredegar last week and he has a sankey for sale, his number is 01495 725544

good luck

Ian :)

Simon R

Oct 29, 2004
Stafford
I have a sankey trailer, it does have a bit of rust but is still strong. It took me about 30 min to cut off the military electric plug and wire in a normal plug, bought from Halfords. You can ignore some of the wires, you don't need the convoy light.

Mine doesn't have a opening tail-gate but some do, it'll just take a lot of searching to find one.

It's mainly used for removing garden waste and other little jobs. I got it from John Craddocks in Cannock for £250, it think they still have some left but some were in a very poor condition.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for all the feedback guys :You_Rock_

tomtom said:
anyway you landy will feel naked driving round Wales with out an Ifor Wiliams trailer as it will be the only one ;)

Tell me about it! I've got one at the moment but it's my father in laws and he want it back this week coming and living here it's become indispensable, today I'm off chopping logs for the wood stove and I need something that I can throw 20" oak rounds into so it'll take a battering.

I've gone through a trailer load this week so it's a must or the family goes cold (No central heating!)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
There is a 3/4 ton Sankey Trailor for sale in this months issue of Land Rover World. £250, phone number 02476 685684.

i do the same thing, troll round finding and clearing wood for the stoves. i have had a couple of trailers and 1 home built from an old caravan. it would have ended up cheeper if i had baught the Ifor first. grate trailer and tough as anything. also parts all over the country so no fiddling getting old cortina breaks to fit it. they are expensive but well worth it although its a bit shamefull when your trailer is more expensive than your car!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE