Planning Safe Haven.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I don't know very much about Dinghies, but long ago I read of Frank and Margaret Dye's epic voyages and have always admired the Wayfarer ever since. Fine capable boats, and it's nice to see you keeping an oldie in such good condition. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Crowe and swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I don't know very much about Dinghies, but long ago I read of Frank and Margaret Dye's epic voyages and have always admired the Wayfarer ever since. Fine capable boats, and it's nice to see you keeping an oldie in such good condition. :thumbsup:
Thanks. :encourage:
Peter Clutterbuck is another Wayfarer dinghy adventurer and has written about them. Another good winter read when sailing is thoughts only.
As last nights storm hit I was up in my cozy den in the mezzanine of our little barn watching one of Roger Barnes charming clips of him and other members of the flotilla exploring the Brittany coast and islands.
It felt like I was under my boom-tend what with all the wind and rain rattling the wriggly tin roof!
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
The people that influenced me first, were the stories by Dr and Mrs Peter and Ann Pye in Moonraker their converted Looe fishing boat, with their Ocean cruises just after the war. Eric and Susan Hiscock's many voyages in the 1950's and to finally seal my fate, I was homeward bound from New Zealand in 1968 as an AB in a merchant ship when Robin Knox-Johnston crossed our wake ( many miles away) on his historic first single handed non stop circumnavigation. :)

Reactions: Crowe and swyn

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
What a delightful post. I met Frank and Margaret Dye at Brancaster sailing club and was amazed by their adventures. I gave up ocean sailing some seven years ago but still miss the challenge and peace of sailing so have bought a Mirror with a view to simple day sailing and perhaps an overnight.
Is your previous a Wylo? Good tough boat.
Perhaps a hooped tent would make a good cover. Loads on for sale sites. An led anchor light would be a good choice.
Will be following your adventures.
Fair winds

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Is your previous a Wylo?

No, Crowe, she was a Robert Tucker design. The hull was steel, built by a Sussex Boat Builder and she was fitted out by a retired ship's Carpenter. I rigged her myself with Galvanised standing rigging. I bought a reel of wire from Otis Lifts and spent a month splicing it!!!

I came home from the Med and wintered on the Tamar one year, and met a man in a Wylo who I am pretty sure was the designer/builder. He came down river from Calstock one day and lay alongside my swinging mooring for a chat.

A few years later I was anchored in the Guadiana and what I am sure was a Wylo came down river. I got a photo then, but like me he was single handed and was looking to anchor further down river, so we didn't get the chance to speak. I'm pretty sure I saw him again a few months later, he was bound South off Thassos, he had the same rig as mine at the time.

Reactions: swyn

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Fab! :finger:
Been fiddlin’ with my 1964 ‘woodie’ Wayfarer recently, adding small cruising bits. Plus I hate one self bailer with a vengeance as it leaks and I really should remove it and plug the hole!
I have a plan to make a passage to Maldon at some point from my usual launch site at Brightlingsea. I would like to go further but time and physical ability may make me lower my sights somewhat.
I’m not in Frank Dye’s league at all mind!

I’m agonising whether to rejoin one of the super clubs. Wayfarer, Cruising or keeping with The OGA as they run a number of small dinghy meets. Hey ho!
S
Nice boats the Wayfarers. We had one when I was young on a mooring at Chichester. Had an Albatross too for a bit. Regular nights spent in tents on Thorney Island, brilliant fun.

Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE