Planning Safe Haven.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
After many weeks of resting on a road trailer, looking quite understandably out of her element, yesterday I took advantage of the fine settled weather and put my boat back where she belongs. I've spent quite a few days, when I haven't been wandering around in the woods, altering her rigging and also experimenting with home made boom tents with a view to camping aboard while exploring the miles of Rivers and inland Coves close to home to this Summer
High and dry out behind the cottage.

Playing with the Main Sail, trying to get it to set to suit me.

Hacking up cheap Poly Tarps, getting ideas for a boom tent to sleep under on my wanderings.

Perhaps this will be the pattern for the proper fabric finished tent.

Once I've squared away all the clutter there will be plenty of room in there for me, sleeping set up and the Trangia..:)

The Rivers run far inland between wooded banks, the camo is not necessarily out of place where I am going. The boat floats in less than half a Metre, I can actually sail right into some woodlands. :laugh:

Yesterday it was off to her new home about 25 minutes drive from where I live. A safe berth, even in the wildest weather.
A pause to check the trailer lashings and car to trailer electrics.

Sheltered from the prevailing winds by high banks and trees, her new home.

Just a few more jobs to do aboard and then a Tide Table check will be part of my weekly routine..:thumbsup:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
:) Swallows a nd Amazons
The tale of how I became owner is almost an adventure in itself Oldtimer.

Fibre glass simulated Clinker, British Red, 14'.0 by 5' 8" beam, with a steel drop centre plate keel. Build on a design first produced at Leigh-on Sea, Essex, in 1954.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" Do you watch Rodger Barnes? "

:) Yes indeed. I'm a regular follower on YouTube of his travels.
In fact he relit the spark of Dinghy Cruising for me, Frank Dye was a hero of mine back in the 1960's and Roger seems to be from a similar mould.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Fab! :finger:
Been fiddlin’ with my 1964 ‘woodie’ Wayfarer recently, adding small cruising bits. Plus I hate one self bailer with a vengeance as it leaks and I really should remove it and plug the hole!
I have a plan to make a passage to Maldon at some point from my usual launch site at Brightlingsea. I would like to go further but time and physical ability may make me lower my sights somewhat.
I’m not in Frank Dye’s league at all mind!

I’m agonising whether to rejoin one of the super clubs. Wayfarer, Cruising or keeping with The OGA as they run a number of small dinghy meets. Hey ho!
S

Reactions: Nice65

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I sailed home from the Mediterranean in my steel Gaff Cutter years ago, Swyn, and wintered on a swinging mooring alongside the old Oyster Sheds off West Mersea. Paid a few visits across to Brightlingsea during that time. Long time ago, but Lawrence I think, was the Sail Maker I had dealings with.
Got told off by the locals, "T'aint Brightlingsea, tis Brittlesea " :laugh:
I re-caught the open boat/Dinghy bug about that time.

" Plus I hate one self bailer"
I've got a hand bilge pump and I'm about to fit a small electric submersible pump run off a motorcycle battery, just in case I'm really struggling.

Reactions: swyn

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yeah, looks like a Gunter to me.

like the Mirror.

(But new mirrors are Bermudans, so I have heard.)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Yes, it is a Gunter rig, I just didn't want to get too technical on a Bush Craft forum by correcting other people's posts...:thumbsup:

" how do you find the handling? "
I've yet to sail her, TLM. I bought her back in the summer and have been fitting her out to suit me. She had no deck fittings, cleats, fair leads etc: in places where I wanted them to be, I think the elderly Gentleman who owned her spent more time varnishing and polishing than actually sailing her. She was always launched from and recovered to a trailer apparently, hence no mooring cleats etc:

I sailed my old Gaff Cutter for 12 years, crossed Oceans in her.
Anchored here in the Greek Cyclades Islands.

I suspect the Gunter rig with it's higher centre of effort will go better to windward than my Gaffer did, without setting the Gaff topsail.

• Love

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Probably will.

Im learning to sail...I can handle the Mainsail ok, (In fact I find the Main needs very little attention) but so far I am struggling with the Jib, which seems to be pernickety.

Will start up with my sailability group in April.

But, just a gravel pit. Its one of the biggest in the park, but its still a gravel pit.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
That's great to hear Tengu, good for you. :thumbsup: Quite often the difficulties of sail handling suddenly 'Click'. A bit like learning to ride a bike, as practice and confidence builds you will find yourself anticipating your next move, rather than being caught out as everybody is when learning to sail.
Gravel Pits are good, better than a classroom any day. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:) Swallows a nd Amazons
The tale of how I became owner is almost an adventure in itself Oldtimer.

Fibre glass simulated Clinker, British Red, 14'.0 by 5' 8" beam, with a steel drop centre plate keel. Build on a design first produced at Leigh-on Sea, Essex, in 1954.
Honestly, that's a much lower maintenance option than trad wood clinker. If you like your Arthur Ransome, I suspect you after something like Tom Dudgeon's "Titmouse" awning

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I'll have to do some research as I confess I've never read any Arthur Ransome stories. A simple tarp over the boom will do when the weather is more kindly. A problem easily avoided when tarp camping ashore by pitching the tarp side on to the wind, becomes less easily solved when camping aboard because when anchored she will of course swing head to wind, so I'll end up in a wind tunnel. :)
I could anchor bow and stern to stop the swing, but just closing off the forward end which will be easier.
Once I've decided on the best shelter option, I'll probably get a proper tent made up, my Sewing machine is even older than me and a lot crankier...:laugh:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Saxonaxe. I’m mulling over exactly the same, pump & battery. I enjoy the the thought process and then the making.
I have just read John Jameson’s book Sun Sea & Taraipo. He’s of a similar age as yourself. You were another millionaire in time then!;)
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
The regulations only require a single white light for my size of boat, but part of my sailing area is busy with commercial shipping so I've rigged a proper masthead light, rather than rely on a hand held light. As I needed a battery for the light I thought a small electric pump as a standby was a simple addition.

A Millionaire in time.. :)

" It's not the years in a man's life that matter, it's the life in his years. "
Abraham Lincoln.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My ride pre covid.
Making and fitting water container and anchor storage boxes, plus having a second reef put in the main (slab reefing) and replacing the halliard. And the usual painting to keep her in good condition.
S

Attachments

• 028F3A8A-5070-4752-808B-37E51C9A5D58.jpeg
    028F3A8A-5070-4752-808B-37E51C9A5D58.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 6
  • B9651A40-1526-4E2F-8180-DC8EB222A026.jpeg
    B9651A40-1526-4E2F-8180-DC8EB222A026.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: crosslandkelly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE