Rucksack mods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
I've been using a Berghaus Free Flow rucksack for years, it has suited my needs perfectly and the fit is fantastic.

However, I've now pretty much completely ditched the tent/roll mat in favour of hammock camping. Unfortunately, it's now getting difficult to pack a weekend into a single bag as I used to.

I'm thinking of adding side pouches somehow... Or perhaps something on the top or bottom where I would normally strap a tent etc... Basically, I need a nice way of attaching a tarp, hammock and underblanket. I'd like it pretty much waterproof, secure and fitting in the style of the rucksack.

Anyone added side pouches? Is there a good way of getting my sewing machine into the rucksack rather than having to cut the bag open for access? Is a molle pouch a good way to go?

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Maybe consider sewing webbing onto the side to allow a molle pouch to be attached. Would be more flexible than simply sewing a pouch directly onto the pack?

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
That was the way I was going, however i'm struggling to find a pouch of the right shape (approx 35cm long). Also, I'll probably have to hand-sew the webbing as getting the sewing machine in deep enough will be very difficult.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
You could make a pouch. Point North sell Cordura and other suitable fabrics. I'm intending to do the same thing myself and already have 2m of this in the post.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
However, I'm also buying a Karrimor Predator 30 (with molle). So, it should be somewhat easier for me. That said, I'm hoping to retrofit molle attachments to my old Hot Rock 30....much like you.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Devils advocate moment; with loads more attachment and filling them (as we do) how will the back system cope!!
I also had a free flow 50 and it was a cracking sack until the frame buckled from weight and tore out the retainer in bottom left corner of frame. I can't see the frame being comfortable with additional weight? I know it always boils down to cash but would a different sack be better? Currently toting a predator 45 in the woods and although a great sack, the silly belly belt reduces how much in weight I carry. Although I have configured a battle belt to prove this now.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
In some ways, you are correct...

However, I believe it's designed to carry a tent and rollmat (and has attachments top and bottom). My hammock setup is lighter than I would be carrying if I was using a tent etc.

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
Spot on those, matey.

35cm is based on my packed tarp, I imagine with a bit of effort I can squish it down a bit smaller!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Sorry for editing after you responded. I was slow to finish my edit. All I did was fix the link a bit. Unfortunately the pic disappeared also; I'll try to repost it for anybody else who might be interested.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Front (in woodland camo)
MollePouch1-700x700.jpg

Back (in woodland camo)

th

They also come in OD, Desert camo, and various other colors.

Apr 22, 2015
UK
Devils advocate moment; with loads more attachment and filling them (as we do) how will the back system cope!!
I also had a free flow 50 and it was a cracking sack until the frame buckled from weight and tore out the retainer in bottom left corner of frame. I can't see the frame being comfortable with additional weight? I know it always boils down to cash but would a different sack be better? Currently toting a predator 45 in the woods and although a great sack, the silly belly belt reduces how much in weight I carry. Although I have configured a battle belt to prove this now.

Hey Janso, I've also got a Predator 45 and have encountered the same problem. I'm toying with ideas for ways to incorporate a substantial hip belt lower down on the back if possible. Any chance you could explain how you've done yours and maybe show a photo or two if possible please? I've heard of other people with this gripe but never found a decent solution. Otherwise it's a fantastic bag.

Regards,
Creamy Fargis

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
On the bottom of the sack, I undone the straps and threaded them through the d rings on the rear of a battle belt. The sack tends to then 'sit' on the belt. Not perfect but at least it does drive the weight into the hips via the belt as it should. By adding a pouch onto the belt at the rear, a medium size maybe personal fak, this would also help I think?
I'm sure a more permanent fixing could be made, but it's handy being able to strip it to belt order at camp if that's your bag!

Conan257

Jan 21, 2011
Lincoln
Well I thought i'd push on with this and see how I go... Plan at the moment is 2 small-ish side pouches which will house Tarp on one side and Hammock on the other (plus a few associated pieces). I'll need something to put underquilt and topquilt in, but they are much bulkier so will probably go on top or underneath the rucksack.

Pouch is 500d cordura, 35cm long and about 18cm in diameter. Double stitched everywhere just in case! Planning mount it using a molle style system which will use 3 rows of webbing top and bottom. I've yet to decide how to add a top, i'm thinking of doing a zip similar to the forces issue bergen pouches.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I hope it works out and I've ventured down the exact route you're taking many years ago in the forces, but to be honest, you'll probably look to investing in a Bergen specifically for the kit you carry in the end. IMHO, having kit strapped to the outside will bug you getting caught on all and sundry when out in the field! Again, good luck and enjoy the experience - who knows, you may find a new hobby and become a future manufacturer!!

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I know you've already started but you could always get a snakeskin or hammock sleeve system that will gather your hammock, tarp and all lines into one bag. Then just attack that to the bottom where you used to attach the tent

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My solution to the same problem
581378094d194cfe7123530810778c5e.jpg

I now use a single large rucksack liner as the innards and a cheap began cover tho prevent snags. Works a treat, super light compared to a bergan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE