rucksack - any ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
OK this is a bit off topic but bear with me....
Just replaced my motorcycle helmet that for various reasons not least difficult head shape - have ended up with an expensive helmet that I do not want to leave with bike. What I am looking for is a big volume, frame-less rucksack (ideally in muted colour) that can be bundled up in top box when riding and I can stuff helmet etc into when off bike- what would be ideal is something along style of old style climbing sac. I know this is not very bushy but thought one of you might have some thoughts. In the old days I would have gone and have a rootle around my local army surplus stores but they seem to have all closed down.
Any ideas would be welcome - thanks
SD

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You could get a helmet lock for your bike or a bigger top box into which the helmet will fit, depending on the bike of course.

I generally wear a scratched up skid lid, so it goes into the saddles bags or just hangs from the bars or the foot peg. If I am using a larger, more expensive full face lid, I generally just carry it my hand, or bring the light, draw string bag it came with.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Your helmets come with such a bag? Or any bag at all for that matter? They come off a shelf here.

All my helmets have had a draw string bag. The full face is a harley davidson modular which came with a draw string back you can sling over your back. MY everyday helmet is a cheapo DOT half helmet I got for 30 euro, and even it came with a bag.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks all - the military mart ones look the kind of thing I had in mind.

The drawstring bag is not especially comfortable to carry for any length of time. My old helmet was a motocross type that could be easily grabbed by the chin piece, the new one is flip fronted and less handy to carry. Rather annoyingly the hard cases that came with my new (to me) bike are too small to take a full face helmet and having just bought the bike I am not up replacing them. So the plan was a cheap and cheerful fix for short term. Have not seen the military helmet bags which we do not seem to get over on this side of pond.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks Santaman2000

Just managed to get a military helmet bag over here [for some reason they while they come up on US websites they are not as common on UK surplus sites]

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Santaman2000

Just managed to get a military helmet bag over here [for some reason they while they come up on US websites they are not as common on UK surplus sites]

Yeah I'm not sure why TBH as I believe the RAF and RN use them as well. Maybe there's just not as much customer call for them on the UK market? Anyway I hope it works well for you. You can always customize it a bit with your name tape and a Union Jack patch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE