Rough Close ~ November'11 ~ TORM Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Just a note to let folks know I'm leaving the heavy kit behind like my large firepit and parachute.
when you say that Bud does that mean there is not going to be a communal fire?
or is that not yours?
i only ask as i will make my own arrangements ie fire pit if thats the case.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
or is that not yours?

Steve just fancies doing a lighter weight affair this time ~ so he's foregoing the luxuries given by lugging the raised pit, supports, irons, DO's, bake stone, communal kettle, bungees, ropes, parachute etc along.

The communal area has a concrete block to have ground fires on ;) .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
or is that not yours?

As Phil said, I just fancy not having the hassle of lugging all the heavy kit along to this meet.

I'll still have a small jerrycan firepit and tarp over by my pitch :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
So there will still be a communal fire,

Correct ~ If people want a communal fire in the communal area then we'll have one :cool: .
I've been having fun trying to dry some woollens and some salt petre'd polypore and I don't blame Steve for avoiding the need to dry his chute :lmao:

but maybe not a communal cover to it?

:D Good use of maybe :D ~ again you're correct, the communal area may be without cover :dunno: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just to bump the list to the fore :cool: ,

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
udamiano
MartinK9
MJM1
Elines
Humpback
Mesquite
Cliv
Karl
TinkyPete (TBC)
Wayland - Arriving late.
Priam (+ 1)
jimbo75
Sasquatch
luckylee (TBC)
Turbogirl (+1)(both TBC)
Bodge + Adam
SimonD (TBC)
Twodogs (Arrive Sat am)
Treadlightly

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

decorum ~ a few odds and ends, a Swedish pack or two, a couple of M90 mountain parkas (& Room-dolf for Martin)
Sasquatch-All Arms Brit Issue Bergen, HH Dutch Issue Fleece(L), Brit Issue DPM Fleece(XL), Brit Issue Wool jumper(L), small axe, posh Italian furry bomber hat, DPM map case, etc.
TURBOGIRL- kidney exMod mugs, old waxed coat (L adult) & 9-10yr camo overalls- WANTED Beginners knifemaking/ leatherwork books, adult & older childs folding chair, all can be well used Plz let me know so I don't replicate before the meet!
MartinK9 - woodlores, boots, desert DPM... etc

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I would like to have a go at flint knapping and was wondering if anyone coming to RC this time is already even a tiny bit proficient. If so could you either help me build up a basic tool kit or just give me a few tips?

Based on UK knapping:

http://uk-knapping.forumotion.co.uk/t5-shoestring-guide-to-buying-tools

The basic kit seems to be something like:

knappi11.jpg

and in more detail (with stuff in italics that I already have/can get, but I have given the complete list in case it is of help to others)

Pressure Flaking

Pressure Flaker (ready made)
Antler
Antler in wood
Copper Nails 4” (to make my own)

Leather Pad
Rubber Channelled Pad
Folded Linen

Fine Abrader/suitable rock

File

Percussion Flaking

1 1/8" Copper Bopper OR 1 1/8” copper unsoldered end caps to make thebopper

Other size end caps also seemto be useful

Lead wheel weights – or similar- (to melt to put in the copper caps)

1" Copper billet/suitable Pebble

Rough Abrader/suitable rock

Leather Leg Pad
Linen

Hard Hammer, Soft Hammer, Abrader

Spalling

Club Hammer /big rock

Safety Equipment

safety glasses
leathergloves.

It may be that if I could see the stuff in the flesh that I would realise that I actually have more stuff than I think.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Copied over from the other thread:

There's been a fair bit of nattering behind the scenes and a couple of us have been trying to organise a meet up schedule for those at the TORM event so that those who are travelling to the market can meet up and put faces to names and have a natter.

What we have come up with is ...

Day
Time
Meet up location
Friday
14:00
Pavillion Bar (in, at or near)
Saturday
12:00
Sunday
12:00

The Pavillion is in the smaller and lower of the two buildings and the bar can be found inside on the right hand side of the hall.

We're not going down the route of red carnation in the button hole and a folded copy of The Times in the cruck of the left arm ~ but those coming from the Meet will probably have topped up their smokey ruggedness ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good :D
Pick up a fallen leaf, put it on your shirt somewhere, or in your hat or ...... tear one out of a napkin or sommat.

M

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
I would like to have a go at flint knapping and was wondering if anyone coming to RC this time is already even a tiny bit proficient. If so could you either help me build up a basic tool kit or just give me a few tips?

Based on UK knapping:

http://uk-knapping.forumotion.co.uk/t5-shoestring-guide-to-buying-tools

The basic kit seems to be something like:

knappi11.jpg

and in more detail (with stuff in italics that I already have/can get, but I have given the complete list in case it is of help to others)

Pressure Flaking

Pressure Flaker (ready made)
Antler
Antler in wood
Copper Nails 4” (to make my own)

Leather Pad
Rubber Channelled Pad
Folded Linen

Fine Abrader/suitable rock

File

Percussion Flaking

1 1/8" Copper Bopper OR 1 1/8” copper unsoldered end caps to make thebopper

Other size end caps also seemto be useful

Lead wheel weights – or similar- (to melt to put in the copper caps)

1" Copper billet/suitable Pebble

Rough Abrader/suitable rock

Leather Leg Pad
Linen

Hard Hammer, Soft Hammer, Abrader

Spalling

Club Hammer /big rock

Safety Equipment

safety glasses
leathergloves.

It may be that if I could see the stuff in the flesh that I would realise that I actually have more stuff than I think.

Dont forget the FLINT!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ahh - well spotted!

I do have one piece of flint that someone at RC gave me (apologies to whoever it was but can't remember who) but in the first instance I was intending to practice on the bottom of a beer bottle.

Only problem is you have to buy a bottle of beer and then drink it - but , hey ho, you sometimes have to make sacrifices ......:)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
OK, Due to Stuff I have to do on Remembrance Day I will be at the Meet on Friday Night and Saturday and be going to the TORM event then got to head home Saturday evening to get ready for the Sunday.

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
udamiano
MartinK9
MJM1
Elines
Humpback
Mesquite
Cliv
Karl
TinkyPete (Friday and Saturday only)
Wayland - Arriving late.
Priam (+ 1)
jimbo75
Sasquatch
luckylee (TBC)
Turbogirl (+1)(both TBC)
Bodge + Adam
SimonD (TBC)
Twodogs (Arrive Sat am)
Treadlightly

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

decorum ~ a few odds and ends, a Swedish pack or two, a couple of M90 mountain parkas (& Room-dolf for Martin)
Sasquatch-All Arms Brit Issue Bergen, HH Dutch Issue Fleece(L), Brit Issue DPM Fleece(XL), Brit Issue Wool jumper(L), small axe, posh Italian furry bomber hat, DPM map case, etc.
TURBOGIRL- kidney exMod mugs, old waxed coat (L adult) & 9-10yr camo overalls- WANTED Beginners knifemaking/ leatherwork books, adult & older childs folding chair, all can be well used Plz let me know so I don't replicate before the meet!
MartinK9 - woodlores, boots, desert DPM... etc
TinkyPete - Got a few bit and bobs to sell too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not rushing it this year :D The journey up and down last time was just ....:( not doing that again.
We have three day tickets so we have time to chill out with friends as well as loads of time to see and buy or go back and have another look at stuff :)

cheers,
Toddy

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Guys, I have a large section of an old canvas marquee/ might be a bedford tilt which some mates gave me for tipi material... not opened it out so not sure of size or condition and I haven't any rope but should I stick it in the boot just incase you clever folk can mackle a communal cover out of it? We're not likely to get there before dark tho :S

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
How soft is the ground at Rough Close at this time of year? I ask as I'm thinking of ground dwelling.

With or without a kip mat?

After recent climatic conditions*, the ground is likely to be mildly moist. The soil is heavily organic with leaf and/or conifer needle above. Bushlore applies and at least one gnarly root will appear under you in the night :dunno: .

* In an attempt to avoid invoking 'The Curse of Twang Twang' I have purposely refrained from utilising the 'R' word :rolleyes: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE