RM Alan Wood Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Non-Bushcrafters profiting from RM knives

• It's unfair to other people on the waiting list

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • If they don't mind waiting fair enough

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • It provides a service as you don't then have to wait

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • If people are daft enough to pay 700 quid, good luck to 'em

Votes: 184 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
There's one over on BB for £450 I think.

The AW/Woodlore will remain an attractive way of making easy money so long as there is demand. The argument has already been well made in some previous posts; as long as more people want them than there are knives readily available, those who want to sell one can charge what they want. Yes, it is sad that this means the waiting list for people who want to buy one to use is artificially increased by the profit mongers, but it will continue.

I totally agree that there are knives available by other makers which are just as good for much less money - made to your own specs etc - in my opinion a better buy.

Personally, I don't think I could be bothered to wait 10 years for a £200 - £450 return. Even if you sell it for £650 that's around a 10% interest growth year on year for ten years on a £250 investment (not that you pay it out until you buy the knife). I understand the rationale of 'go on the waiting list, forget about it, flog it when they remind you' - but what will they be charging in 10 years? Will there still be the attraction of his fame or will that have waned?

If people want to do it, it's up to them. It must of course do Alan Wood no harm to be associated - how many had heard of him before? I'm willing to bet he doesn't mind one bit - probably has a wry smile to himself but is way busy enough now not to be overly agitated.

Just my thoughts.

the big guy

Feb 5, 2007
devon
what about dave budd for a tool thats not only good to look at but able to handle any task you ask the maker to design it for.why not go on one of his knife making courses and make your own,theres something special about useing a tool you've designed & made yourself.if you want a knife that becomes part of you at a resonable price talk to dave.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Dont forget singeblister on here for top quality tools. I have several of his and all of them out perform my abilities. They dont cost the earth and will out last me.

The choices when you look around at other makers are endless and to be honest I dont think you would go wrong getting one from any of them. Personally I like the way John makes his tools and how I can have it fitted like a fine suit. All for a very reasonable price.

Disclaimer. we are friends but that has come about after I bought several knives from him. I have no financial conncection with John.

Cheers Greg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think i must be in the minority, i recently recieved a Julius petterson 25th anny knife, a fantastic gift from my better half, the first thing i did was to reprofile the blade as it had a slightly concave grind and used olive oil to protect the blade and handle, it's the single most beutiful piece of workmanship i have ever owned, it has defects that others might say should not be there, but to me it only makes it more mine(Grammer is not my strong point) since receiving the knife i have carved, battond, started fires with a fero and prepared game. I think the only time it will see the inside of drawer is when i have family visiting, to keep it out of the hands of anyone else, I cannot understand the rational of buying/owning some thing that has a perpose and not using for that perpose it kind of robs the item of it's meaning, as for buying something with the intent of selling at a higher price to someone who dosen't whant to wait in line, it's pretty shrewd and i bit cold, but i don't see anything wrong with it.

PEACE!

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
People will pay what something is worth to them.
Comparing an Alan Wood Woodlore to a Bernie Garland knife is pointless, it's not the same thing at all.
There will be takers for both at their respective price points but they as different as chalk and cheese.
I can't understand the constant debate over Woodlore prices, your buying much more than a knife when you buy an Alan Wood Woodlore.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I dis-agree rapidboy,I cant see what else your buying with an Alan Wood woodlore it's still a knife,a very good one ,but still a knife.Yes it has a bit of history and a certain kudos.But it's someone elses history and kudos.You can buy a formula 1 car but it won't make a race driver.
Don't get me wrong I think they are brilliant knives but no sharper or well made than any other manufacturer.
As for it being pointless comparing them to bernies knives why is it pointless?
What will a woodlore do that bernies won't,or even a mora won't.It's the same old story ,mine must be better because I paid more for it,This as we know is not the case.
All knives from all manufacturers are the same they may have different names and handle shapes and blade shapes but they are all within certain parameters ie, blade length ,blade hardness, blade shape does vary a bit but not that much.It all comes down to what suits you
We all have our favourites as do ray and mors,how many of us think mors is the best bushcrafter and agree with all he say and does then copy him( the man is brilliant and very educated in his field) but how many of us use a mora as their main knife.
Knives are not chalk and cheese,more stilton and cheddar with a bit of double gloucester here and there.
Each to his own.
As to prices for AW Woodlores would I pay the prices they go for?
If I had the money ........Yes.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I dis-agree rapidboy,I cant see what else your buying with an Alan Wood woodlore it's still a knife,a very good one ,but still a knife.Yes it has a bit of history and a certain kudos.But it's someone elses history and kudos.You can buy a formula 1 car but it won't make a race driver.
Don't get me wrong I think they are brilliant knives but no sharper or well made than any other manufacturer.
As for it being pointless comparing them to bernies knives why is it pointless?
What will a woodlore do that bernies won't,or even a mora won't.It's the same old story ,mine must be better because I paid more for it,This as we know is not the case.
All knives from all manufacturers are the same they may have different names and handle shapes and blade shapes but they are all within certain parameters ie, blade length ,blade hardness, blade shape does vary a bit but not that much.It all comes down to what suits you
We all have our favourites as do ray and mors,how many of us think mors is the best bushcrafter and agree with all he say and does then copy him( the man is brilliant and very educated in his field) but how many of us use a mora as their main knife.
Knives are not chalk and cheese,more stilton and cheddar with a bit of double gloucester here and there.
Each to his own.
As to prices for AW Woodlores would I pay the prices they go for?
If I had the money ........Yes.

It has nothing to do with ",mine must be better because I paid more for it".
A Woodlore will do something that very few other knives will do including a Bernie Garland, it will increase in value even with use.
Most other knives will depreciate but you can buy a Woodlore, use it for years and sell it and at least get your money back and more often than not you will make a profit.
I have handled a few pieces of Bernie's work and they are fine but they are not in the same league as Alan's work and to suggest they are is just silly.
I'm not having a pop at Bernie's work, a previous post mentioned him but how long has Bernie been a pro maker and who would know of him outside of the small bushcraft community ?
Alan Wood is a pro maker, has been making blades for many years and has risen to become one of the best known if not the best known of British knife makers, he's a household name, it's only natural that people will be prepared to pay more for a knife from him than from someone else, the rest is down to good marketing and supply and demand.

The Woodlore knife is designed by Ray Mears and built by Alan Wood, you can make an exact replica of it and it still won't be worth as much because it's an iconic design and the Alan Wood version is the original, people need to get over it.

Plenty of other people are making knives but few can match Alan in terms of fit and finish not to mention his eye for design and all while maintaining a consistent supply of knives.
I have no hidden agenda here, i don't run the Alan Wood fan club, i own a few Alan Wood knives and have owned many more over the years but my main user knives are not Alan Woods (and i do actually use a frosts Mora more than any other knife but i was using one long before i had heard of Mors).

A lot of people are really hard on the Woodlore knife but while they are rubbishing it from the sidelines they need to realise that it is responsible for bringing knives back into the public domain and promoting their use in a responsible fashion in a very anti knife climate.
And the makers who rubbish the Woodlore would not be selling half as many "bushcraft" knives as they are if it wasn't for the Woodlore paving the way.
That's quiet an achievement for a humble piece of 01 with a few bit of stick nailed onto it.

"All knives from all manufacturers are the same", if you honestly believe that then you really shouldn't be let out into the woods with anything sharper than a spoon :rolleyes:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Ypu've missed my point.
I agree AW Woodlore knives are among the best available I would love to own one.At the end of the day they are just a knife.Many things will gain value over time but that doesn't make them any better.Falkniven prices have just shot up because of the low pound this doesn't make them a better knife'If you buy a knife just for it to gain value then it's not a knife anymore ,it's just an investment,the same as gold or a rare car.
Apart from reducing itself from a useful well made tool (gaining value) to an investment what else can an AW Woodlore do that any other knife can't?
As for build quality, from all makers there will be differences of opinion and standards across the board so you are right it is unfair to compare different makers products because they make different knives.
As for me not being out in the woods with any thing sharper than a spoon,because "all knives from manufacturers are the same" can you explain what you mean please.
Can you also answer the first question What else do you get from an AW that you dont get anywhere else?
What can an AW do that one of bernies (just using your example) or a mora cannot?
If the only answer youcan give is ,gain value ,then perhaps you need to think about taking an investment bond into the woods,Because that seems to be your opinion of AW woodlores
Please don't take any of this personally it's just a reasoned and adult debate.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have already answered the first question, a Woodlore can be used and still be an investment.
I didn't buy mine as an investment, it's just a fact that it is.
It's certainly not why i buy Alan Wood knives, his knives are well designed and manufactured, you know exactly what your getting and he stands over what he makes - that seelsellsm to me.

If you want other reasons for buying an Alan Wood knife then your buying quality, reliability, a proven track record of durability and performance, after sales service.
If you buy a cheaper knife from a new or realtivelrelativelymaker then how do you really know what your buying, who did the HT ?, is it any good ?, did the maker use stabalised stabilised the sacles ? etscales.

I have knives from many many makers, both amateur and professional makers and some are better than others it's just that simple.
As with so many things you get what you pay for.

A Fait 500 is a car, a Mercedes SL500 is a car, both have 4 wheels and engine and will get you to work , you can't say "All cars from all manufacturers are the same"

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You still haven't answered the question.
What can an Alan Wood Woodlore knife do that any other knife cannot?( apart from gain value ,which isn't of any use in the woods)
I can't think of any thing,can you enlighten me .

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Did you ever the old bushcraft saying "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics..." ? :rolleyes:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Your're not going to answer the question are you?
Why is that?
I'm not arguing just asking what I thought was a simple question.
This has gone right off topic so I'll open a new thread.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have answered the question and more, if your happy that your BernIie Garland or Mora is the same as an Alan Wood Woodlore then good luck to you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Play nice boys!
RM Alan Wood Woodlores are the Morgan of the knife world...
A Morgan is an Iconic sports car that looks good, performs well (within peramiters) and has people queing to buy them.
This is despite there being equally good cars available for less dosh.
Morgans apreciate with age, even if they are used and they are nice to look at...
Woodlores are the same but there is no way on Gods earth that I would spend the asking price for a Morgan - hellfire - it is only a bl**dy car! or a Woodlore which is only a r*ddy knife!
Well made they may be but they do not suit my needs.
If I had money to blow/invest I would concider buying one of each.
As it is I live in straightened circumstances and will stick to Moras and a Peugot Boxer Van....:rolleyes:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
John your quite correct, people make a choice and buy what they want or can afford to buy.

Sapper - re your PM

I don't know what point your trying to make, read my original post in the thread and tell me where I said a Woodlore can do something a Bernie Garland can't do ?
I said comparing them is pointless ,it is ,they are very different commodities, that's it.

I didn't bring Bernie's name into this thread, that was someone else.
Many of Bernies friends are trying to keep his name alive on here (and on other forums that he's banned from) and that's commendable but trying to hijack this thread is not playing fair to the original poster or the thread topic.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
We're not comparing knives we're considering if AW woodlores are woth paying the extra money for.
I asked you what can anAW do that any other knife can't?
You still haven't answered .
Instead of using this thread there is another ,opened specificaly to discuss this ,please use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE