ripening cob/hazel nuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I picked a few cob nuts yesterday while out in the canoe. The nuts have reached the right size but still a little green.

Can they be ripened off the tree i.e on a window ledge etc..?

Thanks

Dan

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Just eat these ones now fella! Lovely and sweet when green.
Cheers.
Chris

yep I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid. We used to spend days stripping the local trees when they were green and they were lovely but of course, I used to eat so much I'd have stomach ache for days. Same problem when I used to scrump plums (but that served me right, little theiving toe-rag)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
just eat them green, in my opinion thats when they are at their best, nice and crisp and very fresh tasting :) i've become rather addicted to them this year.

TJ

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I never even knew hazlenuts had varieties, or that cobnut was one of them. You learn something new everyday :) great link!

Yep, plenty of culitvars out there and I've found quite a bit of variation from tree to tree when they've been planted by humans.

As for eating them unripe I tend to prefer them cooked. I made a nice pesto from our own hazelnuts, garlic and basil over the weekend - very nice.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Sounds good, cooked in a pan with the garlic?

Yep, plenty of culitvars out there and I've found quite a bit of variation from tree to tree when they've been planted by humans.

As for eating them unripe I tend to prefer them cooked. I made a nice pesto from our own hazelnuts, garlic and basil over the weekend - very nice.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I basically wizz up some hazel nuts and garlic in a blender with some olive oil (not home grown, yet...) then lightly simmer this for a few minutes to take the edge off the nuts and garlic, then take off the heat and add chopped basil and serve on top of pasta. I've made it for a few years now and it always tastes good. No real need to lightly cook the nuts and garlic but we prefer it that way.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
well I ate some raw and I cooked some as suggested and they were lovely. bought back a lot of memories. I'm now thinking of planting a couple of trees in my garden. That way I can also have a go at conrtoling the squirrels:AR15firin

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
well I ate some raw and I cooked some as suggested and they were lovely. bought back a lot of memories. I'm now thinking of planting a couple of trees in my garden. That way I can also have a go at conrtoling the squirrels:AR15firin

It's not just squirrels that'll get 'em. I've got several hazel trees in our garden and one was stripped in a few days by either voles or mice! Luckily the other trees produced a good crop.

If you have space I think hazels are ideal as they are so useful, providing nuts, wood for skewers, peas sticks & bean poles etc.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unfortunately I can no longer eat raw hazelnuts - just one bite and my throat is so badly irritated that I can hardly breathe. More of the light oils are present when the nuts are green and much more dangerous for anyone with a nut allergy. I am fortunate in as much as I can eat most roast nuts (but still not hazel for some reason).

I only say this because I didn't know I had developed a nut alergy until I tried eating green hazel nuts again a few yeas ago - so take care.

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE