Rewilding Britian - increasing biodiversity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You keep telling yourself that if it helps you to sleep in your convenient, fossil fuel heated home Mary. It is what most people do.

Yep, I sleep very well these days :)
I honestly believe that change will come, the world keeps moving along. Thing is though, most folks, especially those younger ones trying to rear families and build careers and pay off mortgages and still find time to be themselves, need time. They cannot drop everything and turn the clock back four hundred years. Why the hang should they ? why would they want to ? They don't have the money to do it all, and I'm certainly not going to demand that they don't have children because they can't afford it all right now.
The rest of the world needs time to catch up, and it will take time to change the way we use the natural resources of our planet.
We all want at least some of the elements of modern life, from antibiotics to internet, from decent dentistry to transport. It's been on a slow improvement in technology and application since the very start.
We'll get there, and the improvements in my lifetime alone are really astounding :D both in quality of life and technological advances and pollution control.

I think there's a huge missing piece of the puzzle of climate change though. The Earth is never static, and it does go through cycles over thousands of years. Our tiny short lives are never long enough to see the bigger picture in any clarity. We can only grasp a shade of the whole by the record preserved in the geology of the world. Quite fascinating really :)

M

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
"I think there's a huge missing piece of the puzzle of climate change though. The Earth is never static, and it does go through cycles over thousands of years. Our tiny short lives are never long enough to see the bigger picture in any clarity. We can only grasp a shade of the whole by the record preserved in the geology of the world. Quite fascinating really :)"

Very true words indeed

As far as re-wilding you have to think that you don't install an "invasive species" even though it may have existed in the UK before, check and balances are needed to be thought about.
Take a look at Australia and it's change in animal invasion, planned or not.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman,
Not being odd I'm genuinely asking. But why apart from cultural following do folks need/use clothes driers/tumble driers in a place that's generally as hot as Florida? Have often wondered when viewing American telly programs where hot weather and space abound that folks don't put their washing out on a clothes line?Would be cheaper and generally makes for better, fresher washing.

I grew up (at least through my early childhood) when everybody hung their clothes to dry. I also like the smell much better. Here are some of the reasons why clothes dryers have virtually replaced that:

Practical Reasons:
- while much of the South (Florida and the Gulf South) at least is indeed hot, you can't rely on the sunshine here (it was MUCH better in the Souwestern Desert!) Some times of the year are better than others but you can expect the humidity to slow the drying until after a rain comes up and starts the whole process over.
- Work schedules don't necessarily allow you to get the wash off the line before said rain. Back when I was that young kid, my grandmother was home all day and could watch the wash and the weather and bring it in when dry or needed to avoid rain. Now-a-days one of the family hangs it out and we all leave (work or school, etc) and it's just there, rain or shine, until somebody gets home.

Most of these can be worked around to some extent although they can't be completely eliminated. I even tried doing this when I first got into this house with a backyard. Which brings us to the next two problems:

- Not everybody has a backyard for a clothesline

And the next problem which is indeed cultural/legal:
- Clotheslines are often not allowed by covenants of the housing associations, or (in some cases) local ordinances! They associate clotheslines with poverty (or an indication of rural, rednecks) and thus there presence decreases property values. It's an attitude I detest and fortunately it hasn't been an issue in my neighborhood.

Don't confuse family size with population. There were far, far fewer people who were far more evenly distributed.

Agreed. But it needs be noted.

And there are the reasons, in a nutshell, why trying to address climate change will never work. It will be both expensive and inconvenient for everyone, so they won't do it.

Eventually we will run out of fossil fuel though and change will be forced on us; global warming or not.

"I think there's a huge missing piece of the puzzle of climate change though. The Earth is never static, and it does go through cycles over thousands of years. Our tiny short lives are never long enough to see the bigger picture in any clarity. We can only grasp a shade of the whole by the record preserved in the geology of the world. Quite fascinating really :)"

Very true words indeed

As far as re-wilding you have to think that you don't install an "invasive species" even though it may have existed in the UK before, check and balances are needed to be thought about.
Take a look at Australia and it's change in animal invasion, planned or not.

Well said!

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Having survived Christmas without one bite of a farmed turkey I'm even more keen to see the American variety sailing through my wood next Fall.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
We don't have much in the way of Hydro and have a much larger population. I do agree we should do more, for instance I cannot understand why all new builds are not required to have electrical generation built into their roofs. Further, the means to collect and supply this energy should be manufactured in this country. One problem is with storage for use at night as lithium is involved for the batteries and that is a contentious area as to how it is mined and where.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It is almost certain that the world's population will peak by about 2050. All very well to be "virtuous" by refusing to breed but more direct action on the individual's part would remove someone's burden on the planet immediately. Funny that, the cull advocates never volunteer.

Crazy German solution is biting them now, to encourage a million in to supply a perceived lower age gap. Merkel has realised her mistake and is now trying to force all the other EU countries to do the same daft thing.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, why wont the Australians help out, they have so much room.

(my Cousin is emigrating, but she is white and can speak english so is welcome.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My big brother lives in Australia, and his family are Australian born and reared.
They look on in horror when we leave a tap running to rinse dishes, and they could not believe the rain :rolleyes: they were here for three weeks and it rained non stop for one entire week. My nephew (who pilots aircraft in the south Pacific) discovered the delights of wellies :D :D

The Australians mostly live around the coast and they have made strenuous efforts to introduce southern European genes into their population to try to balance the too much northern European red head/fair skin/freckles type. They already have huge 'racial' issues, I can't really see them wanting to import any others if they have a choice.

Their country, their culture, their issues. On the whole I like the Aussies :D

As for the water evaporation, that technology too is improving. The Arabians are doing it more and more as their society too becomes more urbanised.

M

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
According to my sister-ex-law, most of the fresh water shortages (in Western Australia) are due to huge amounts of water used by the mining firms.

She worked for the water corp in the data department, so is probably correct.

My impression of Australia was that racial issues were still a major issue. My son's Vietnamese-background, born in Sydney, girlfriend, says it really isn't a problem. I guess she'd know.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Plate surface area determines the amp-hour storage capacity of a battery. I use 2 x 6VDC deep-cycle battery pairs ($500/pair) to store the juice. If anything, I want to add at least one more pair to my little system to see 500W AC for 24 hours. Then, a pure sine wave inverter can't operate with an input of less than, say 10.5VDC. So, working down from the peak charge of 13.7VDC, I hardly get to run on the top 1/4 of the juice.

Hindsight still says that it is really costly to set up. Do you "want" to or do you "have" to? My wood pellet stove sucks 500W and I expect it to run for as long as I need. Sunrise this AM was -20C.

I lived in Australia for 4 years. I'm still surprised that the Nullarbor isn't half covered with solar power and solar-driven desalination installations.
For a very long time, Australia had an Assisted Passage scheme (10 pounds) for a ship trip and a compulsory stay of 2 years. Not from anywhere in Asia
or Canada, as far as I knew.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Before the £10 scheme they had another one where you got FREE passage on a ship plus free board and lodge, mind you the compulsory stay was often a lot longer than two years.

D.B.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not too clever. Free passage and a long stay in the "shade."

Most nations have skeletons in their closets that they would rather not have bandied about.
The Australians are no exception. But that is hardly the point here.

My own country has practiced what is now called "cultural genocide" and for that day and time,
I cannot apologize for what has come and gone.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Plus the forced emigration of British boys and girls to Australia. Encouraged by Barnados who apparently often lied and told the children that their parents had died. Forced labour and exploitation for a lot of those children even those int the care of churches.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman,
Not being odd I'm genuinely asking. But why apart from cultural following do folks need/use clothes driers/tumble driers in a place that's generally as hot as Florida? Have often wondered when viewing American telly programs where hot weather and space abound that folks don't put their washing out on a clothes line?Would be cheaper and generally makes for better, fresher washing.

When I was a kid this was a common thing:

215957_378561615558373_122798730_n.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I still have cast iron clothes poles set into concrete in the garden :D
That's a heck of a plank she's using as a stretcher though :yikes:
I love it when the bed smells of fresh air from the sheets and pillowslips and covers being dried out in the wind and sunshine :D
It smells clean in a way that all the fake fresheners and softeners just don't.

M

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
A bit in keeping with the laundry, I remember my mother setting washed clothes and hanging them in such a manner. In winter they would freeze solid within a short time but through sublimation it would dry as can be expected by night.
Washboard was the way, I still have one and use it to keep memories alive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE