Review Tilley T3 hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey John. Great words, as usual.

I won an LT5B, the 'breathable nylon' version, in a competition late last year but haven't really had a chance to wear it yet (too cold!). I have heard great things about these hats but wondered if there would be much discernible difference between the cotton and nylon versions.

I love the design, though: the little flat pocket, ID label, holes and velcro tab for sunglasses, drain holes, adjustable chin-strap. It just shows an eye for detail and the incorporation of some good ideas.

Looking forward to the warmer weather now!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love my Tilley T3. Fantastic hat. I've worn out 2 as well, and had replacements without quibble. I'm going out with the dog in a minute, and the T3 will be coming along, especially as it is raining here.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I wore mine today out in the rain! The T3 was my first Tilley, but I bought a TH5 and much prefer it. I find it breathes better and I like the fact that is doesn't have the fittings for snapping up the brim - which I never use!

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I gave mine away............ I do not know why!

ever since I have been on the hunt for the perfect hat, oh well, full circle then!

I have looked at the hemp one too and like it alot, how is it for a year round titfer?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I wore mine today out in the rain! The T3 was my first Tilley, but I bought a TH5 and much prefer it. I find it breathes better and I like the fact that is doesn't have the fittings for snapping up the brim - which I never use!

That's the hemp one, right? Does it handle rain as well as the T3 cotton duck?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I did have a hemp one - but I prefer the T3 - I do use the snaps in windy condition (they stop the brim flapping :) )

John,

Did you prefer it because of the style or the material? Would you say the cotton is better/worse than the hemp for dealing with rain and sun?

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The hemp one has a looser weave, so rain will penetrate quicker, but it is much cooler in the summer. I found the cotton duck T3 to be too hot in the summer - the TH5 breathes better and I find it much more comfortable.

I only wear the T3 now if it's chucking down, otherwise I opt for the TH5.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2007
I have the T3 and as I dont wear it on the water I have taken out the pad as it made the top of my head sweat. i have a mosi head net in there for when the sand flies get bad. Now the flood waters are going down here in Queensland I will be needing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE