Review of Dave Barker's "Green Lantern"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Well, it's finally arrived :) I don't know how many of you remember Dave's thread he started about being bored and making a full tang scandi for the first time? He coloured the handle in various shades of green and yellow and got a lot of positive comments for the effect. For the thread see here

Dave mentions that he got the knife from Brisa in the original thread. The blade is 4" long and the knife is 8 1/2" overall. Blade width is a substantial 4mm with a flat grind. The handle is curly birch and Dave's used 14 different colours to achieve what I think is a spectacular finish to the handle. Here's some pics...

GL3.jpg

GL2.jpg

Here's a pic with a UKPK for size comparison....
GL4.jpg

Dave's made a real effort with handle shape. It's contoured in 3 dimensions and fits beautifully in the hand. The mosaic pins, also from Brisa are expertly aligned and snug fitting with the surrounding slabs. There are no ridges or gaps in terms of fit between tang, liners and slabs and the balance is perfect, pivoting nicely on the index finger.

GL5.jpg

GL6.jpg

Finally, Dave has continued the green theme with the colouring of the sheath. A traditional pouch design that has been wet formed for a nice snug fit and welt stitched seam, it compliments the knife's colour scheme well.

GL1.jpg

Overall I'm very impressed with the knife, particulalry considering this is Dave's first attempt at a full tang. I contacted Dave regarding the possibility of buying the knife before it was finished. Since that point Dave kept me up to date with developments and was a pleasure to do business with. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending Dave and his knives to anyone. Thanks Dave :You_Rock_

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Thanks for that.
There is a small error though,,, it was 4 colors and not 14... 14 would be impossible.

Hopefully i'll manage to get some time to make some more of this style in the future, glad you liked it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE