Review.. Karrimor Saber 30

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have been looking for sometime for a suitable daysack of sorts.. and until now have been fruitless in my search.. i knew of the karrimor saber 30 but it was out of my price range at £69.99, that is, until now. After a tip off from Ranger i went along to Sports World in Plymouth and picked one up for an amazing £20.99 :yikes: now we are talking value for money! :biggthump

DSCF0054.jpg
DSCF0056.jpg

Features:
Chest and Hip Straps
Back cooling system thing..
Two haul loops (too one of which you can see my axe attached)
One main compartment 30l
Deceptivly large pocket in hood
Compression straps

im not a big fan of packs with lots of compartments so i like this design of "one big pocket"

i packed it up before i went and jaunt yesterday, only a short one but it preformed well.. the pack sits high on my back.. but i prefer this style of back pack and found it comfortable with the hip and chest straps not constricting me at all! being used to carrying a panther 70 i found saber 30 a strangely small thing to have on my back and it was this which added to my surprise at how much i managed to pack in it!
Wich was this:
DSCF0057.jpg

Packed in it:
Hootchie
Bivi bag
Sleeping bag
GB axe
FAK & Water Purification
Trek Towel
Bandanna
Head Torch
BRK&T North Star
Knife Fork Spoon
Water bottle
Folding Saw
Mora
10m Para Cord
Survival tin
Compass
Whistle
Fire Kit
Billy Can

Now i couldn't quite fit my Therm-a-Rest in but there it almost went in and with out it there was "room to spare" which i was amazed by i could use this as space for either my water prof or food which would easily have fitted in and i could also carry my Therm-a-Rest on the outside. So as you can see this is somewhat more that a "DAY" sack its becoming more of a weekend/week sack :wink: i have fitted in here what i would normally fit in to me 70ltr pack with the exception of my Kata which obviously takes a lot of room, though not 40ltr :yikes: i am frankly stumped as to how it all went in with ease!

i have yet to give it a proper abusing, but we all know karrimor and what to expect from them! so i don't expect that it will ware easily!
i will keep you all posted on any developments!!

we have heard lately that karrimor might well be "no more" so get down to Sports World now :1244:

out of interest does anyone know what axe i have? i cant remember the model its quite small but not a mini!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Cool review. It's a nice sack. :wink: Just my taste and the right size for light bushcrafting. :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Looks good Tom. Is the axe too short to fit in the other way up?

That is a good amount of gear for 30 litres.

Bill

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
At that price they are an absolute steal,if i could get one at that price in these parts i would buy one pretty sharp.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thank You Justin,you are a gentleman and a scholar.I shall make a trip to my local store next weekend.Thanks. :You_Rock_

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Guys, I've now got a nice Sabre 30 I didn't even know I needed!
It's been taken of me to be wrapped up for christmas!

Did get a good look at it in the shop though, seems a very nice sack, just the job for when the sabre 40 is to big.

Dave

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dave it might be worth popin in anyway.. the person who answered the phone might well have know then difference between an england shirt and a pair of golf shoes.. but in the plymouth store the packs were in the corner of the 4th floor looking very out of place.. its not their normal product range so you might get lucky

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There were about 5 left in the Cambridge store when I left, tucked away opposite the changing rooms. I only found them because my lad was trying on some jogging bottoms, and I noticed some brightly coloured Karrimor ruck hanging there, with the sabres on a shelf above. They also had some good prices on Karrimor clothing too, but I daren't spend anymore at the moment!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE