Red deer cull. Too many too soon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
bilko said:
Have a look at this.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-deer_p2458,00.html

I have no idea but it does seem excessive to me. Anyone care to comment?

For some reason, I wasn't able to load and watch, so I don't know why they were culling in the first place. It seems to me though that the deer will only expand the herd to the numbers that the area they are in, can support. That is how nature does it. If they are culling because of high deer numbers, they probably have another agenda and from what little I read, the gamekeepers aren't recommending this cull.

If they kill the deer, I hope there are groups with their hands out for the meat and other usable parts! If not, maybe there should be. ;)

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
I think the population grows past the supportable limit then crashes back as starvation reduces it, eventually coming to a balance - assuming that the population is restricted to a certain area rather than free ranging.

Kane

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, the gamies are only objecting to the size and rate of the cull - 8000 deer in 2 years. Everyone (at least everyone who knows anything about it) agrees that culling is necessary, it's just a question of how many and how quickly.

The impression that I got from the brief interview with a gamie on that clip was that they're worried about how it will impact commercial stalking - so it's not like the deer aren't going to be killed anyway. It's just a question of whether it's done by professionals for land management reasons or by amatuers for sport.

The problem with deer is that they eat just about everything. They're a major problem in forestry management, especially attempts to regenerate native woodland. They don't really reach a natural balance, because they no longer have any natural predators.

Again, you have to remember that the British environment is in no way a "natural" one - it's the result of millenia of constant human management.

As for whether the proposed cull is appropriate or too extreme, I really couldn't say.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bilko said:
Anyone care to comment?

its a tough one mate, as the guy says at the end of the film the argument isnt about weather or not dear should be killed, its about how many and we really dont have the facts to know.. theres no doubt deer cause a lot of damage, i dont how many dear there are in scotland but i would hazard a guess that 8,000 is probably a relativly small percentage of them, i would have though which ever agency it is that is in charge of this operation has done their reasearch and does have the facts, remember the figure is over two years and the reproductive cycle of these animals is 7-8 months so even while the cull is going on the population will be recovering.

8,000 sounds a high, but i dont know if it is to high a number.. it may be?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
AFAIK it is the Deer Commission who set annual cull targets. A while ago there was a big cull at Glenfeshie using helicopters etc which did not go down well with the stalkers.

Although much stag stalking brings income to the estate, the winter hind shooting is often done by stalkers.

Deer control is a difficult issue. I don't like deer fences (eyesore, kill capercaillie, obstruct walkers) but without natural predation what do you do?

Maybe bring back the big bad wolf???? :eek:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
RovingArcher said:
For some reason, I wasn't able to load and watch, so I don't know why they were culling in the first place. It seems to me though that the deer will only expand the herd to the numbers that the area they are in, can support. That is how nature does it. If they are culling because of high deer numbers, they probably have another agenda and from what little I read, the gamekeepers aren't recommending this cull.

If they kill the deer, I hope there are groups with their hands out for the meat and other usable parts! If not, maybe there should be. ;)

No I don’t think any group will get the meat. I was up in Kinlochleven a couple of years ago when the estate decided to cull all the red deer on its property and they just dug large pits and dumped the lot in. If there going to do the cull then I personally think handed out.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I’ve been going up to Kinlochleven and Glencoe for nearly twenty years and these past five have noticed deference in the numbers and condition of them. They are staying longer down in the glens in much larger herds than I have ever seen. The condition they are in is very poor especially in the spring.

Do I think a cull is necessary yes? But I would fallow the gamekeepers advice he knows the area and the land.

These beasts are a very serious driving hazard on the A82. I’ve seen the damage they can do.

Ps I’m going up this weekend :beerchug:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
gregorach said:
Half the time the fences don't work anyway. I've seen deer jump 'em.

Kinlochleven got a deer fence build around the enter village but all the gets are left open and probably got a grant to do it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told recently that there are 60,000 too many deer on the hills as it is, and if something isn't done the damage their incessant grazing causes will really start to affect vulnerable ecosystems.
We took out the top predators of the deer, now it's up to us. What we really need to do is persuade all those folks who eat beef, lamb and pork to eat venison instead.......but that would mean a change to the game laws then, wouldn't it :rolleyes: and that wouldn't go down well with the stalking estates.....tell me again how many jobs they *actually* support?

Cheers,
Toddy

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
He does say there are 700,000 deer in Scotland. Is that a true figure?.
And noticed where he mentions the damage caused to the grouse shooting areas. My inner cynic smells money involved as well!!

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
One MSP suggested half-seriously that Highlanders should be issued with rifles to shoot for the pot.

Loads of deer on the hills. Even at the end of the Black Isle, where I am, it's a rare week that we don't disturb deer walking the dogs within 10 minutes walk from the village.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I was talking to a friend, Stuart, who works with the forestry comission and apparently it costs them between £00 - £400 for every single dear they cull. This is from the cost of shooting it to taking the carcus down off the hills. They do sell them to a venison dealer but you know they are not covering their cost by a long shot.

I they thought people would not cause accidents and would remove the carcus they would let anybody shoot the deer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE