Non military cold weather, knocking about jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone got a suggestion for a not too expensive cold weather jacket? Something for the conditions we have now perhaps colder too and not necessarily active enough to generate own heat?

I don't like military look stuff as it'll be used in outdoors, dog walking through to early morning mixed mode commuting. Basically for those conditions you do that sudden intake of breath when you first step out in it because it's colder than you expected.

I did think didrikson parka like this.

Didrikson Stern parka

No idea what to get but this seems OK at cheap price. I'm not happy with my buffalo mountain smock as I find it's a bit cold at times. Or my haglofs primaloft jacket because it's too short but it's also slightly cold too. I'm looking for something to cover down to my thighs not just waist or hip length. Not too long though.

Does anyone have sitting around / lower activity level, jacket recommendation for cold, UK weather?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
For the situation you describe I turn to my snugpak sleeka jacket. I’ve used them over 20 years, first was green then went for the more civvy black ones.

Leaving the house at 4.30am in the cold dark it’s an amazingly warm jacket.

I’m going to go as far as to say I’ve never been cold in one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's too short, same as my haglofs primaloft jacket. Looking for a longer length for extra warmth.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Get yourself a down jacket. If you have a look around you’ll find they come in all warmths and lengths sizes etc, alpine fit is often longer for climbers. Personally I have a sprayway, got it in the sale a few years ago and it’s awesome. Warm, lightweight and covers my bum and wrists. Perfect!

Reactions: Wullie

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I wear a Hoggs Kincraig jacket for most of my outdoor stuff this time of year. Like this:

Linky

With the clothes that I usually wear outside at this time of year and my usual activity level (beating/fishing/walking), it’s perfect and so far completely waterproof. It covers down over my backside - I’m average height. If you were very inactive perhaps layer it with a body warmer, but for the price it’s very good.

As an aside, Hollands Country Clothing have been very good to deal with for internet orders - no connection with me except being a pleasantly satisfied customer.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Why are virtually all outdoors down jackets waist length in the UK? Unless you buy the big jackets intended for altitude like everest base camp use and are usually too warm for uk. I think they call it alpine or mountaineering fit. Whatever the case I've not seen many longer down jackets for men.

One other point, I'm not a big fan of down for even modest activity in the UK as we often get wet winters just above zero and rain or sleet. I've never n owned hydrophobic down and no idea if it works in damp as well s synthetic.

I do own what I believe is 2nd gen lightline jacket. It was after the logo went orange lined from red and they improved the outer fabric with a DWR treatment. Since then they've added a hood as standard. Mine didn't come with the hood and I've not found anywhere to get one now. It also annoyingly acts as a bellows pumping out of hot air and sucking in cold air. A funny fit I think and not impressed with it

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Been looking at parkas. Saw a didrikson Stern for £120. There's no info on warmth level though as didrikson do heavyweight cold weather or lightweight mild weather versions. The Stern parka isn't in the didrikson site. It seems you see older models for half price that look like a current one for £200-220 on the brand website. Is like they change the name of their cheaper parka models every year then retailers sell the old name versions for big mark ups. The more experience models just get given the next number and re-released as a "better" version.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Already a few years ago I looked into Germany 's biggest outdoor shop and understood that the clothing they offered wasn't made for serious outdoor use anymore.
The clients need bad weather clothing for the towns and the occasional dog walk around the car. It's all very light and compact, short and doesn't allow much layers and the fabrics are too weak for a heavy rucksack.

Serious civil outdoor clients seem to buy military equipment factory new if not used. It's often also offered in grey and black.

Most former civil outdoor brands nowadays sell city clothing.
I lost the interest in such stuff.

The serious makers usually survived because they deliver to the armies.
Have a look at British made Snugpak clothing and Carinthia jackets.

Well, there are still a few French and Italian fashion brands that also produce in Europe and some British tailors but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

Reactions: TLM

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Does no one wear sheepskin anymore? They’re perfect for our current weather. Great insulation without getting sweaty. I used to wear one of those great big heavy Swedish parkers but the sheepskin is lighter and more comfortable. I wouldn’t mind trying to find a smock in sheepskin.
I also wear layers of wool, at my altitude of between 150-200meters / -5C I have been comfortable in a thick pullover without a jacket but then again it has been dry and still.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Why are virtually all outdoors down jackets waist length in the UK? Unless you buy the big jackets intended for altitude like everest base camp use and are usually too warm for uk. I think they call it alpine or mountaineering fit. Whatever the case I've not seen many longer down jackets for men.

One other point, I'm not a big fan of down for even modest activity in the UK as we often get wet winters just above zero and rain or sleet. I've never n owned hydrophobic down and no idea if it works in damp as well s synthetic.

I do own what I believe is 2nd gen lightline jacket. It was after the logo went orange lined from red and they improved the outer fabric with a DWR treatment. Since then they've added a hood as standard. Mine didn't come with the hood and I've not found anywhere to get one now. It also annoyingly acts as a bellows pumping out of hot air and sucking in cold air. A funny fit I think and not impressed with it

Did you not read my previous post?

Also 99% of modern down jackets are hydrophobic and the material is treated so light rain/damp is not really an issue. I wear mine almost every day for work in the outdoors.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Did you not read my previous post?

Also 99% of modern down jackets are hydrophobic and the material is treated so light rain/damp is not really an issue. I wear mine almost every day for work in the outdoors.
I did read your previous postbut I don't think there's many at a longer length. You usually have to go to parkas for longer length ime. The few I've seen are full on mountaineering jackets or fashion ones. Mostly waist length or not even covering your behind.

Typical down jackets as shown by a retailer that shows real people wearing their products.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be fair, the Didriksons Stern you linked to does look quite short - the Drew looks longer.

I know it's all a matter of style - how you want to look in urban and rural environments, but I prefer more field-sports like clothing for the majority of my activities and only go to true 'outdoor' equipment when there's need (like lightweight backpacking etc.).

In the past, I've always had great value out of Graghoppers jackets, I've got a couple I'm still using that are well over ten years old, but they've changed style a lot, far more urban fashion than country pursuits sadly. As an aside, a few years ago I was in a posh 'gun/country sports' shop when the guy behind the counter said 'that's a nice jacket' - when I turned around and he saw the Cragghoppers logo he just said 'Oh!' - end of conversation :)

From previous posts, I am well aware that your tastes are different to mine :), but if I was looking for a new versatile winter jacket at under £150 I would look at Ridgeline and Percussion (especially the Normandy)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I think you need to go to a few decent outdoor shops and try things on rather than looking online then. Other than a parka which are not cheap for one which will actually keep you warm I don’t think there are many options for you. Cheap kit isn’t warm kit.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I know you said too short but the snugpak sleeka jacket is the longest and best of their clothing options and very warm just throw a cheap long waterproof over it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE