Recommendations for a blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Hi guys,

After having used a sleeping bag for years, I wouldn't mind trying a more traditional, versatile approach by going with a blanket but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I know the Swiss and Italian surplus ones seem to be highly rated but I can't find one from Britain and even the ones abroad have an outrageous price tag on them. I like the look of the blue and grey Danish civil defence ones, though I don't know of any company, Danish or otherwise, I could purchase one from. Any other recommendations? I wouldn't like to pay too much seeing as some ex-military ones, like Yugoslavian, are about £15 but I'm not sure whether they'll be thick enough. I'd be alright getting a non-military blanket as long as the prices are reasonable.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got the Yugoslavian one and it's thick enough for 3 seasons- I only use mine as a ground mat and use a Hudsons Bay 3.5 point blanket to sleep in. Both great blankets, big price difference, both good quality too!

Hope this helps! :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ask at your local charity shops, if they have something thick and heavy enough for your needs I doubt they will want more than a fiver for them. The label will tell you if its pure wool and if it says made in Whitney it's pretty much guaranteed to be good quality. Quite a few charity shops don't bother displaying them, so it's worth asking. Some only have them for use as pet blankets for a couple of quid. I've had double sized Whitneys still in their cellophane so thick they would choke a whale for peanuts.

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good advice on the charity shop route; if you buy a decent quality wool blanket from a normal retailer you're gonna pay a lot of dosh for anything worth having. A few weeks ago I bought a brand-new John Lewis 100% Merino huge blanket in the charry
for £8! When I looked at the equivalent new price they're from £100 upwards!.

As an aside, I would advise caution in replacing your sleeping bag with a blanket; it suits some but has it's downsides.....
Slowly does it!

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Thanks, guys! I think I'll probably keep an eye out for a Whitney one, though if I don't get much luck, I'll give the Yugoslavian one a try :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just done the charity shop run round Bury, Ramsbottom and Rawtenstall and saw 3 perfectly usable ones, if you don't mind the odd bobble and bright yellow or 1970s false limb pink for just a few quid each. If postage wouldn't double or triple the cost I'd think about picking them up on spec for passing on for cost and the good karma. For myself, I've so many good ones I'd only bother looking for the Hudsons Bay/chiefs/points types now. well and the thin 1940s white CC41 jobs I use for making the kids costumes as they are so open weave they look like Roman or Medieval stuff.

atb

tom

Haggis

Nomad
I have a bit of a fetish for Hudson's Bay blankets, and my favorite was picked up for $20 at a yard sale about 15 years ago. By the style and design of the tags, it is a 3 1/2 point blanket, it was made around 1918, and is an original full Hudson't Bay "double blanket". Once upon a time these old blankets came to the retailer as two blankets connected end to end; they were meant to be torn in half prior to being sold, this blanket was not. So it is two 3 1/2 point blankets still connected after nigh 100 years. I carry it everywhere in the bush when hunting or camping. I don't think I would like to carry it if I were hiking far, it is quite heavy, but usually I'm camping out of a canoe, or a vehicle, or carrying it on my ATV to a campsite.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
My main advice would be to stay with sleeping bags. Blankets tend to be less warm for the weight and packed size. If you are hiking, the additional weight is not good. Cost for performance on synthetic filled sleeping bags is far superior to blankets.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
My daughter has just joined Brownies and is talking about a camp blanket, and I thought I know just the people to ask. Any recommendations, my first thought would be wool for warmth, fires and lasting, but wondered about weight and washing.
Thanks Rich

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dutch or Belgian army are great for camp blankets - talk to Kev at Endicotts. I like Belgian (green) best, but the Dutch (Brown) are just as heavy. Both are thick and warm and with a deft cut and the cut edges bound, would make first rate camp blankets.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Wool, for safety.

Its a shame Im not at home, I could let you have one for the postage. as it is I have just one blanket, (and my poncho...) and I think I need that.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
My daughter has just joined Brownies and is talking about a camp blanket, and I thought I know just the people to ask. Any recommendations, my first thought would be wool for warmth, fires and lasting, but wondered about weight and washing.
Thanks Rich

My cuz was in the scout many moons ago, and he had a wool blanket that he made into a poncho, and used to sew badges on it from various camps he had been on Tec.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE