Recommend me a hiking stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The whisperlite will burn diesel with the correct nozzle.

Interesting. MSR does not list diesel as a fuel it will burn, and a quick google suggests that there are mixed results burning diesel with it, some say it works, others say it categorically doesn't.

MSR does explicitly list diesel for both the Dragonfly and the XGK

J

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Aah that's what it was! I inherited a stove from a friend who said it didn't work. A quick clean and a new set of seals and it worked a treat. I knew it was a Primus but nobody I spoke to knew what it was or had ever seen one before. I just Googled Primus Grasshopper and now I know what it was. I saw was as I lent it to another mate of mine for a bike rally he was going to and it fell out of his panniers on the motorway. Thanks rik_uk3.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Interesting. MSR does not list diesel as a fuel it will burn, and a quick google suggests that there are mixed results burning diesel with it, some say it works, others say it categorically doesn't.

MSR does explicitly list diesel for both the Dragonfly and the XGK

J

I'm burning Diesel in my MSR Dragonfly, and it does explicitly state Diesel on the box (which I have in front of me right now). It even comes with the Diesel/Kerosene jet... just remember to always use the correct jet or things go wrong.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Aah that's what it was! I inherited a stove from a friend who said it didn't work. A quick clean and a new set of seals and it worked a treat. I knew it was a Primus but nobody I spoke to knew what it was or had ever seen one before. I just Googled Primus Grasshopper and now I know what it was. I saw was as I lent it to another mate of mine for a bike rally he was going to and it fell out of his panniers on the motorway. Thanks rik_uk3.

You can pick these up very often for almost nowt on ebay, often don't get a bit. I got a NOS (New Old Stock) for about a fiver a couple of years ago. When a young climber I stopped using paraffin Primus stoves when I got one of these !!!!! (and a Bleuet s200) and it worked really well and it was many years before the urge to start collecting old Primus paraffin stoves infected me.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but these little Primus 210 type stove are simple and work well, again they don't break the bank to buy. This youtuber is a great fella known to some here who have bought things like the Eagle kettle off him.

Wonderful video, skip it if you want but right at the end he tells you what the stove cooked on <400ml of fuel. His 'camping' style matches mine in many ways.

[video=youtube;ozgART3420Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozgART3420Y[/video]

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I think you know what I mean. 0.3 litre fuel bottle and an Omnifuel/Nova et al does not take up a mass of volume and is not that heavy I'd have thought; weight is subjective though and this is just my opinion and not a rule written in stone. I can no longer hike but if I could I'd prefer something like a multifuel or Trangia at the end of a long day hiking rather than be messing about with twig burners or for that matter an open fire...sit down, brew and food on and relax in my tent (I know, tents are heavy).

or one of them gas pre heaters re your earlier post yes yes ? Yup to the end of a long days walking, but an omni isn't quick to light or set up. An omnilite and a 100g ga cannister weigh 450, an omnilite and a .3l with tools pouch spares fuel bottle and fuel parrafin 750g. omnifuel add 100g. Thats 2 200g gas cannisters and a pocket rocket, alot more fuel. But they don't have the control of a multi. coleman something or other is alot quicker in the set up. maybe podcast bob should make a titanium quick set up colemanesque inpingement burner for parrafin.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I didn't know msr dont recommend diesel now for the whisperlite, when I bought mine around 2002 it was.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
or one of them gas pre heaters re your earlier post yes yes ? Yup to the end of a long days walking, but an omni isn't quick to light or set up. An omnilite and a 100g ga cannister weigh 450, an omnilite and a .3l with tools pouch spares fuel bottle and fuel parrafin 750g. omnifuel add 100g. Thats 2 200g gas cannisters and a pocket rocket, alot more fuel. But they don't have the control of a multi. coleman something or other is alot quicker in the set up. maybe podcast bob should make a titanium quick set up colemanesque inpingement burner for parrafin.

Have you ever lit an Omni/Nova on white gas/Coleman fuel? I think not to be honest as they light quickly. What spares? How many grammes do they weigh? You don't have to carry all fuels, just the one you will use.

Please, put your scales away and play with real stoves (put your bait line away while your at it).

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I like pot cozy type cook sets for hiking. I have a Whitebox meths stove as a heat source if its only a couple of nights and a remote feed gas stove (its got one of those preheat tubes) for longer trips. Its made by Firemaple but I presume its a clone of some other brand.

192.jpg193.jpg051.jpg069.jpg

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I saw a white box stove used in anger at the weekend and was quite impressed, just as good as the trangia but with a built in pot stand.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Have you ever lit an Omni/Nova on white gas/Coleman fuel? I think not to be honest as they light quickly. What spares? How many grammes do they weigh? You don't have to carry all fuels, just the one you will use.

Please, put your scales away and play with real stoves (put your bait line away while your at it).

infamy Infamy they've all got it in for me. Slightly offended. pouch and tool 100g spares for pump and stove(minus 2 fuel jets) 100g 0.3l fuel bottle 75g . white gas I have, lasts no where as long as parrafin, lights faster but not much. Suppose thats why the soto came about. Lighting time due to the fuel/weather. To be honest preheating on a little 100g cartridge seems an idea or with a lighter, but it just adds weight.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I saw a white box stove used in anger at the weekend and was quite impressed, just as good as the trangia but with a built in pot stand.

Yeah it's a neat design. My only bug bear is the priming, not a major issue but having to hold your pan over the flame for a couple of minute while the jets get going is a pita. Not necessary perhaps but I don't like wasting fuel.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Another neat idea when I happen to use meths in very cold weather on the odd occasion is to put a lit tealight candle under the meths burner (for instance underneath the stand on a trangia). This preheats the meths burner and ambient air around the burner to ensure efficient burning. Well, as efficient as meths can be of course!

Last edited:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Another vote for Trangia Triangle. Its what I find myself using most. I usually use it with a trangia meths stove, but have also used it to light a small twig fire inside and with a little plughole drainer inside with a hexi tab on. Meths in a hip flask! Its small and you can use whatever pan you like on top.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I liked the look of those Trangia triangles but thought it was quite pricey (not doubt its a good piece of kit though). I settled on one of these in the end, still waiting on delivery but looks good for £8.33 delivered.

sku_256330_1.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Send me your addy and I'll knock you up one of my Shewbox stoves :) (basically a Lynx can version of the Whitebox)

I've never had any probs with priming, it's only around 15-30 secs normally depending how cold it is.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've never had any probs with priming, it's only around 15-30 secs normally depending how cold it is.

Hmmm that's making me think my whitebox is not so good, even in summer it takes a minute or more. Even when using a priming tray :confused:.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hmmm that's making me think my whitebox is not so good, even in summer it takes a minute or more. Even when using a priming tray :confused:.

I think it's probably the height, the fuel chamber in the Lynx version I make is only 40mm high so it's coming up to vapour temps pretty quickly.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

I love my white box stove. Compact, weighs nothing, as you say has its own pot stand, and super reliable (assuming the fuel isn't sitting below freezing, anyway)
Highly recommended :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE