Recommend me a hiking stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys,

Was hoping someone could recommend me a decent hiking stove? It has to be lightweight (reasonably) and not cost me an arm and a leg. Ive seen the primus/MSR ones but at £ 100+ they're a little out my price range! Can anyone suggest one thats a bit cheaper and still does a.good enough job?

Thanks

Jordan

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Jordan. :)

For short trips, the Cat stove can't be beaten IMO.

6_finish.jpg

Weighs 6g and just about the most fuel efficient alcy stove going.

It fulfils the cheap and light part well. :)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Jordan. :)

For short trips, the Cat stove can't be beaten IMO.

6_finish.jpg

Weighs 6g and just about the most fuel efficient alcy stove going.

It fulfils the cheap and light part well. :)

I was thinking a cheap version of your multi fuel burner we had in the peaks Pete, that was awesome!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
That kovea spider looks like quite a good little stove as well actually. Still quite like the idea of being able to chuck anything in it though, im sure we put like bbq fuel in yours or something didnt we pete. That worked great and for 3 quid for a massive bottle cant complain!

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
In the warmer months I just carry a simple meths stove (whitebox or trangia... or even just a coke can cut up) but at this time of year, I've finally decided to upgrade and get myself an MSR DragonFly :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In the warmer months I just carry a simple meths stove (whitebox or trangia... or even just a coke can cut up) but at this time of year, I've finally decided to upgrade and get myself an MSR DragonFly :)

I have both the MSR Whisperlite and the MSR Dragonfly. The big issue I had with the Whisperlite was that it couldn't burn diesel, which I found was more available on my trips than the fuels the Whisperlite would take. The down side it is it LOUD. Using it on a campsite in Dorset, when we turned it off, I heard a rather pleased "Finally!" from a nearby tent. But, it will burn anything, the MSR sales reps use Russian vodka as sales trick.

I do love both these stoves, and for long trips and cycle trips where I want the flexibility to cook a decent meal, they are great. But I am saving up for the Evernew solo set for when I want to travel light.

J

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
depends if your goung to be moving alot or not.

Wood burning isn't quick to pack or unpack and light, neither are multifuel stoves with exeption of the coleman style. Multifuel is also quite heavy before any fuel when you add up the bottle spares tools pouch pump and stove.

Gas is quick to pack but is less versatile, and the cannister mount ones are a little bit weak and do not like the cold

meths is quick to pack, light, quiet, simple,relaxing, work in the cold and not technical but if you do alot of cooking the fuel doesn't last long, and you loose the weight saving quickly.

Hexi - too simple

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Optimus Crux Solo or Weekend kit is a good all round lightweight cook system for backpacking.

I suppose it all really depends on what type of use you need to get out of a stove/cook system as to which to go for, how light you want it and what you need to cook etc.

The Trail Designs also look really good. I just recently got myself a set after seeing a friends in action and how light and efficient it is.
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-cone-system

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE